CAN L. Fernandez [14] vs FRA O. Dodin
Qualifier vs RUS L. Samsonova
Qualifier vs SRB A. Krunic
Qualifier vs CZE B. Krejcikova [23]

ITA M. Trevisan [27] vs RUS E. Rodina
CZE K. Muchova vs AUS A. Tomljanovic
MNE D. Kovinic vs USA S. Williams
ROU J. Cristian vs EST A. Kontaveit [2]

by ponchi101 I don't see Raducanu escaping Cornet. Alize may be a drama queen, but it is also because she likes to create it.
I can perfectly well picture Sloane taking out Iga in R2.
Tauson over Garbie also.
Serena over Kovinic should be possible, and Kontaveit is not playing great tennis. It is a good draw for that farewell tour.
Leylah-Samsonova.... uhm, Samsonova.
Keys should make the semis.
It is a messy draw.

by Suliso
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:25 pm I don't see Raducanu escaping Cornet. Alize may be a drama queen, but it is also because she likes to create it.
I'm hearing that Alize plans to retire after 2023 RG.

by AcesAnnie I was going to go with Caroline Garcia, and I still think she is going to go very far in the tournament, but I don't think she will reach the finals of this slam.

Iga has not looked completely Iga like the past few tournaments she has played, and here in the big slam I think she is going to kick it up a notch and go on that roll we all know Iga can do. So Iga is my girl to win the USO.

by jazzyg On this list, I see only Garcia, Halep and Gauff having the right combination of form, belief and ability to win, and I'm already on record saying Gauff is not ready. I do not think Halep and Garcia winning is a combined 50-percent chance, so I went with other. Again.

by JTContinental Serena's draw actually not too bad to go a few rounds, assuming Kontaveit continues to suck rocks

by ponchi101 When prior to a tournament you are complaining about the balls, I just don't see you ready to take it.
So Iga and Paula look very iffy to me.
And I did go with OTHER. I have no clue.

by AcesAnnie My breakdown of each quarter

Top Half
Swiatek(1)
Ostapenko(16)
Kvitova(21)
Pegula(8)
Azarenka(26)
Pliskova(22)
Osaka
Rybakina(25)

Bottom Half
Halep(7)
Keys(20)
Garcia(17)
Sakkari(3)
Rogers(31)
Kasatkina(10)
Samsonova
S. Williams

by Deuce Andreescu has a difficult draw.

by dryrunguy
AcesAnnie wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:17 pm My breakdown of each quarter

Top Half
Swiatek(1)
Ostapenko(16)
Kvitova(21)
Pegula(8)
Azarenka(26)
Pliskova(22)
Osaka
Rybakina(25)

Bottom Half
Halep(7)
Keys(20)
Garcia(17)
Sakkari(3)
Rogers(31)
Kasatkina(10)
Samsonova
S. Williams
You appear to be missing about 11 qualifiers... :mrgreen:

by AcesAnnie
dryrunguy wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:35 pm
AcesAnnie wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:17 pm My breakdown of each quarter

Top Half
Swiatek(1)
Ostapenko(16)
Kvitova(21)
Pegula(8)
Azarenka(26)
Pliskova(22)
Osaka
Rybakina(25)

Bottom Half
Halep(7)
Keys(20)
Garcia(17)
Sakkari(3)
Rogers(31)
Kasatkina(10)
Samsonova
S. Williams
I am going against the trend. :lol:

You appear to be missing about 11 qualifiers... :mrgreen:

by meganfernandez Pretty even draw. I thought Ostapenko would have a chance of surviving a 30-player pileup on the Long Island Expressway, but she drew Zheng in the first round. Tough.

I don't think Serena would beat Kontaveit or Tomljanovic.

Osaka-Collins R1... Naomi should win.

Rybanika-Sabalenka R3... oof, too early

by AcesAnnie
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:13 pm Pretty even draw. I thought Ostapenko would have a chance of surviving a 30-player pileup on the Long Island Expressway, but she drew Zheng in the first round. Tough.

I think Serena can definitely beat Kontaveit, and Tomljanovic is iffy, but if she plays a great game she can get by.

by meganfernandez
AcesAnnie wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:13 pm Pretty even draw. I thought Ostapenko would have a chance of surviving a 30-player pileup on the Long Island Expressway, but she drew Zheng in the first round. Tough.

I think Serena can definitely beat Kontaveit, and Tomljanovic is iffy, but if she plays a great game she can get by.
I saw Kontaveit practice in Cincy. Still looks solid to me. I know she has struggled with results this year, but I’d still take her over Serena unless Serena serves lights out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by atlpam I went with other. I’d love to see Garcia in the final, but she doesn’t look to have a very easy road to get there.

by AcesAnnie
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:01 pm
AcesAnnie wrote:

I saw Kontaveit practice in Cincy. Still looks solid to me. I know she has struggled with results this year, but I’d still take her over Serena unless Serena serves lights out.

If Serena is playing that spot on Serena power tennis, it is going to be tough for Kontaveit and really any other lady on the tour. The thing is and what we will have to see from the start is what her fitness level will be. We all know it will not be prime Serena, but if she is anywhere near the level I think she can be at, then watch out.

by ti-amie

by LilMissBubbles {color=#FFFFFF].[/color}

by Deuce Assuming they both get through the first round, Leylah could have all kinds of trouble with Samsonova in the second round. Samsonova is one of the hottest players on the tour now, and Leylah is recently back from a 2 month injury sabbatical, and hasn't done anything of note since returning (except appear in every media and marketing possible relating to the U.S. Open :roll: ).

These are the matches I feel would be interesting and/or potential upsets...
My picks are in underlined bold italics, except when I feel it's a toss-up.

Iga Swiatek (1) vs Jasmine Paolini - Interesting

Amanda Anisimova (24) vs Yulia Puntintseva - Potential Upset

Sofia Kenin vs Jule Niemeier - Potential Upset

Qinwen Zheng vs Jelena Ostapenko (16) - Potential Upset

Garbine Muguruza (9) vs Clara Tauson - Interesting

Bernarda Pera vs Anhelina Kalinina - Interesting

Elise Mertens (32) vs Irina-Camila Begu - Potential Upset

Karolina Pliskova (22) vs Magda Linette - Potential Upset

Marie Bouzkova vs Linda Noskova - Interesting

Laura Siegemund vs Sorana Cirstea - Interesting

Andrea Petkovic vs Belinda Bencic (13) - Interesting

Emma Raducanu (11) vs Alize Cornet - Potential Upset

Naomi Osaka vs Danielle Collins (19) - Potential Upset

Kaia Kanepi vs Tereza Martincova - Potential Upset

BOTTOM HALF

Madison Keys (20) vs Dayana Yastremska - Potential Upset

Harmony Tan vs Bianca Andreescu - Potential Upset

Ann Li vs Camila Osorio - Potential Upset

Tatjana Maria vs Maria Sakkari (3) - Potential Upset

Elizabeth Mandlik vs Tamara Zidansek - Potential Upset

Veronika Kudermetova (18) vs Donna Vekic - Potential Upset

Danka Kovinic vs Serena Williams - Potential Upset

by ti-amie Everyone is raving about Noskova. I look forward to seeing her play.

Sakkari usually plays well the first week. It's the second week that's her problem.

Harmony Tan vs Bianca Andreescu was one I looked at too as a potential upset. Tan has no f**ks to give and will go balls to the wall with Andreescu, something I think that bothers Andreescu a bit.
Ann Li CAN beat MCOS.
Little Jasmine Paolini is going to get first round money. That's good for her.

by skatingfan First Major (8)
Peyton Stearns, United States of America (20)
Linda Fruhvirtova, Czech Republic (17)
Erika Andreeva, Russian Federation (18)
Daria Snigur, Ukraine (20)
Eleana Yu, United States of America (17)
Elizabeth Mandik, United States of America (21) - Hannah Mandlikova's daughter
Sara Bejlek, Czech Republic (16)
Elina Avanesyan, Russian Federation (19)

First US Open (12)
Lucia Bronzetti, Italy (23)
Jule Niemeier, Germany (23)
Zheng Qinwen, People's Republic of China (19)
Yuan Yue, People's Republic of China (23)
Jaimee Fourlis, Australia (22)
Elisabetta Cocciaretto, Italy (21)
Linda Noskova, Czech Republic (17)
Catherine Harrison, United States of America (28)
Anna Bondar, Hungary (22)
Leolia Jeanjean, France (27)
Fernando Contreras Gomez, Mexico (24)
Jacqueline Cristian, Romania (24)

by ashkor87 I expect Swiatek to fall against Zheng.. bad draw for her.. will know more when I see what the court is like.. as usual, nobody reporting on it, not surprising...
Osaka has a tough draw - Raducanu, then Rybakina, then probably Bencic - but I guess that is what you expect in a major! Gauff comes up against Halep in round 4, not likely she can pass the Halep test - if Leylah can get past Samsonova, she has a clear path to the semis..

by ashkor87 Alexandrova could also beat Swiatek but she is not serving that well lately, takes a good strong serve to beat Swiatek..

by ashkor87
LilMissBubbles wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:39 pm One possible upset on the first day that I could see is Elena-Gabriella Ruse taking out Daria Saville. I think Saville is playing good tennis, but I did not like the way her ankle looked at the end of her match against Kasatkina in Granby. She was even having trouble walking on it.
good intel for SP...

by ashkor87 the poor folks who play Suicide Pool need to know things like this... so they dont bet on a lame horse, figuratively speaking..

by JazzNU
LilMissBubbles wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:35 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:53 pm the poor folks who play Suicide Pool need to know things like this... so they dont bet on a lame horse, figuratively speaking..
Ooooooooh, that is what you meant by SP. I did get in on that game. I didn't pick Elena-Gabriela Ruse, but still think it is very possible for an upset.
Ah, a newbie. Next time, you keep something like that to yourself. Let whatever bandwagon goes for her crash and burn and you advance clear of that wreckage.

by ashkor87
JazzNU wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:47 pm
LilMissBubbles wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:35 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:53 pm the poor folks who play Suicide Pool need to know things like this... so they dont bet on a lame horse, figuratively speaking..
Ooooooooh, that is what you meant by SP. I did get in on that game. I didn't pick Elena-Gabriela Ruse, but still think it is very possible for an upset.
Ah, a newbie. Next time, you keep something like that to yourself. Let whatever bandwagon goes for her crash and burn and you advance clear of that wreckage.
Hehe..let us not corrupt an innocent young mind!!

by jazzyg As another indication of how wide open the women's draw is, Wertheim picked as his finalists players who combined for 33 double faults when they played each other in Cincinnati and neither of whom has won a title all year.

He has Gauff beating Sabalenka. Gauff's only final came at Roland Garros, and she has reached only two other semifinals.

by ponchi101 I thought it was an odd pick too. But then, I kept thinking whom would I pick, and I drew a blank.
But he is going with seeded players.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:I thought it was an odd pick too. But then, I kept thinking whom would I pick, and I drew a blank.
But he is going with seeded players.
Yeah beyond seeded is just wild-guess territory and it doesn’t work for a column or writing. There has to be a reason, even if it might not sound logical. There just has to be some info to work with.

I actually don’t have an issue with his picks. Jazzy makes a great point about the double faults. Each would have to keep them under control in week 2. But each can win some matches despite the doubles, too. Hence their Top 10 positions in the race.

by ti-amie I didn't expect Halep to lose...this round.

by ponchi101 I would consider it a big upset.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:I would consider it a big upset.
It definitely is. Based on every possible metric.

by ashkor87 Snigur is a junior champion ..good to see

by ponchi101 First round is almost over.
4 out of our 9 named poll choices have lost: Halep, Osaka, Raducanu and Rybakina.
You know what that means?
That I suck at choosing poll options.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:31 am First round is almost over.
4 out of our 9 named poll choices have lost: Halep, Osaka, Raducanu and Rybakina.
You know what that means?
That I suck at choosing poll options.
You're gaming it so Other has a better chance! :)

by ponchi101 Damn! Caught... ;)

by ashkor87
jazzyg wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:55 pm As another indication of how wide open the women's draw is, Wertheim picked as his finalists players who combined for 33 double faults when they played each other in Cincinnati and neither of whom has won a title all year.

He has Gauff beating Sabalenka. Gauff's only final came at Roland Garros, and she has reached only two other semifinals.
His picks are usually way off..

by ponchi101 Well, I did pick OTHER.
And Serena is in that group.

by ashkor87 I think Tomljanovic will beat Serena
.....Poor Kontaveit was nowhere near her best, needs more time..

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:52 am I think Tomljanovic will beat Serena
Really? I thought Kontaveit played out of her mind for much of the match. She was red-lining some of her groundies, and her defense was pretty good.

by patrick But her power game played into Serena’s hands

by ashkor87 Meanwhile, Samsonova living up to her billing..I really wish Leylah had had more sense than to keep playing with injury at the French.

by ashkor87 Dalma Galfi...impressive win over Dart- 2015 junior champ...worth keeping an eye on..? Where has she been since then, I wonder? It normally takes junior champs 2-3 years to make their mark...why 7 years?

by ashkor87 Andreescu versus Garcia next...both genuine contenders...I do think Andreescu is the better player, though..

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:48 am Andreescu versus Garcia next...both genuine contenders...I do think Andreescu is the better player, though..
At their peaks, sure. But Caroline has been consistent of late, which was a hard thing to say just a few weeks ago.
Another 51/49 match.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:21 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:48 am Andreescu versus Garcia next...both genuine contenders...I do think Andreescu is the better player, though..
At their peaks, sure. But Caroline has been consistent of late, which was a hard thing to say just a few weeks ago.
Another 51/49 match.
Oh, for me it's 70/30 Garcia right now. She's just had a much better season, stringing together more wins. Maybe I'm wrong... They had a super close match on grass, which Garcia won, and I think Garcia is better on grass than Andreescu so maybe it shouldn't have been that close. Maybe Andreescu is inspired being back in NY, loves the atmosphere and the courts. Hope it's a good match.

by ashkor87
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:52 am I think Tomljanovic will beat Serena
As I thought...all it took was solid professional play, which Kontaveit is not producing these days

by ashkor87 As expected, Kostyuk refused to shake hands with Vika ..I don't know what to say, sympathize with both of them....

by ponchi101 I wonder if one of the Russian/Belarusian players can go and whisper to the rest of the tour that they can't open their mouth on the subject. Especially Belarusians, who live in an open dictatorship.
And with the strange effect of Prominent-Russian-Defenestration, neither can the Russians.

by Suliso Now one can risk some predictions. My best bet:

Swiatek
Kvitova
Azarenka
Collins
Gauff
Garcia
Kudermetova
Samsonova

Swiatek
Collins
Garcia
Samsonova

Collins
Garcia

Garcia

About 5% chance to be exactly like this :D

by Suliso Sabalenka is the big wild card. After miraculously escaping Kanepi she might feel free to conquer all. After all most of her problems used to be in her head.

by ponchi101 She goes against Collins in a battle of "hit and miss" players, and she holds a 3-0 record. So, she can advance a bit more.
Iga is rounding up better than at W, and nobody is talking about her. She has no pressure at the moment.
Wertheim's Coco/Aryna final prediction seems less farfetched at the moment.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:She goes against Collins in a battle of "hit and miss" players, and she holds a 3-0 record. So, she can advance a bit more.
Iga is rounding up better than at W, and nobody is talking about her. She has no pressure at the moment.
Wertheim's Coco/Aryna final prediction seems less farfetched at the moment.
I’ve been talking about Swiatek. I think I’m the only person who took her in the poll. Has she even dropped a set?

by ponchi101 No, she hasn't. She has been solid, perhaps with the exception of going down 1-4 to Davis, but then recovering.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:54 pm No, she hasn't. She has been solid, perhaps with the exception of going down 1-4 to Davis, but then recovering.
I'm curious about Neimeier, but expect Swiatek to get better every match.

by jazzyg Swiatek has not played anyone. Which does not mean she will lose when she plays someone good, but I would hope any top 20 player would beat 5-foot-2 Lauren Davis in straight sets.

For more than 30 years of following tennis, the player everyone talks about as going quietly through the draw NEVER wins. Usually they are going quietly through the draw because there are concrete reasons to doubt them.

by Suliso I've seen only highlights and from those she didn't lool like a title winner at all.

by ashkor87 I am expecting semis to be
Swiatek versus Collins (Collins may well beat her, as she did at the AO)
Coco versus Samsonova

by Suliso Samsonova is not happening and I have a feeling Coco will neither.

by ashkor87 True ...Garcia will be tough...a real test...if Coco can beat her, she will have taken a big step...

by ashkor87 I didn't expect Collins to have recovered from injury..else, in Barty's absence, she would have been the favorite for many of us, I expect...I think she has a good chance now of taking the title..

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:34 am True ...Garcia will be tough...a real test...if Coco can beat her, she will have taken a big step...
Yeah, that will be a good match. Coco will have the crowd. Night session on Ashe.

by ponchi101 One of those matches that I will suffer. I always felt that Garcia had so much potential and her father was a total hindrance, which now seems to be confirmed. So I liked her, until she did her little "I am an airplane" routine which, damn, I could not swallow. But I want her to do well.
But I also like Coco, so I won't know who to root for.

by Suliso I'm an airplane? You lost me...

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:24 pm I'm an airplane? You lost me...
It's Garcia's post-match celebration. She runs around with her arms to the side like wings.

by ponchi101 When she wins (or won) a match, she would shake hands, drop her racquets on her bench, and then she would run out onto the court, her arms spread out, and doing a raspberry with her mouth, as if she were an airplane. That was her celebration.
Sort of like Tsonga's patented jumps (thumbs pointing towards hmself) or Petko's long gone dance. Caroline did the airplane.

by Suliso Have you noticed how conventional is the QF's line up regardless of the outcome of the last two matches? Only Tomljanovic is a true surprise. Everybody else either a top 10, former finalist or a recent big tournament winner.

by ponchi101 And Tomljanovic was a QF at Wimby. Still, very mixed, too me.
Whomever comes out of the Pliskova/Azarenka match, will be a very big surprise. Those two have been written out a few times.

by Suliso Not totally predictable, but far less random than some other recent Slams.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:Have you noticed how conventional is the QF's line up regardless of the outcome of the last two matches? Only Tomljanovic is a true surprise. Everybody else either a top 10, former finalist or a recent big tournament winner.
I was thinking this. For a supposedly wide-open tournament, “the most open Open” in a very long time, the quarters are pretty sturdy. Some upsets according to the seedings but nothing super surprising. We knew Kontaveit and Halep were iffy. The big guns have mostly come through.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:And Tomljanovic was a QF at Wimby. Still, very mixed, too me.
Whomever comes out of the Pliskova/Azarenka match, will be a very big surprise. Those two have been written out a few times.
Who did you think would come out of that section? Halep?

Who is playing the best going into the quarters? i think Garcia and Gauff, who haven’t lost a set. Then Pegula and Tomljanovic.

I think I’d be most surprised if Jabeur or Pliskova won. Can’t decide. Iga looked pretty bad today but she has the champion’s will to find a way.

by jazzyg Jabeur looked terrific last night after a slow start in the first few games.

I can't imagine her losing to Gauff if they played, although I don't expect that match to happen.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:13 am
ponchi101 wrote:And Tomljanovic was a QF at Wimby. Still, very mixed, too me.
Who did you think would come out of that section? Halep?

Who is playing the best going into the quarters? i think Garcia and Gauff, who haven’t lost a set. Then Pegula and Tomljanovic.

I think I’d be most surprised if Jabeur or Pliskova won. Can’t decide. Iga looked pretty bad today but she has the champion’s will to find a way.
I truly expected nothing from Halep. I like her personally, but her game is limited (I think).
I say Pliskova has a very good chance.

by Suliso GS record of our QF participants (in the order of the draw)

Iga Swiatek 2 W, 2 F, 3 SF, 5 QF
Jessica Pegula 4 QF
Karolina Pliskova 2 F, 4 SF, 10 QF
Aryna Sabalenka 2 SF, 3 QF

Coco Gauff 1 F, 1 SF, 3 QF
Carolina Garcia 2 QF
Ons Jabeur 1 F, 1 SF, 4 QF
Ajla Tomljanovic 3 QF

As you can see for no one this is the first GS QF, however Pegula, Garcia and Tomljanovic have never been further than this stage.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:53 am GS record of our QF participants (in the order of the draw)

Iga Swiatek 2 W, 2 F, 3 SF, 5 QF
Jessica Pegula 4 QF
Karolina Pliskova 2 F, 4 SF, 10 QF
Aryna Sabalenka 2 SF, 3 QF

Coco Gauff 1 F, 1 SF, 3 QF
Carolina Garcia 2 QF
Ons Jabeur 1 F, 1 SF, 4 QF
Ajla Tomljanovic 3 QF

As you can see for no one this is the first GS QF, however Pegula, Garcia and Tomljanovic have never been further than this stage.
I can honestly see any of these women winning. Lots of years of experience here - even Coco. I feel like these will be good matches, not marred by nerves. Go get it, ladies!

by ashkor87 Garcia vs Coco feels like a finals...

by ashkor87 So does Sinner Alcaraz..?

by ponchi101 I say Garcia's doubles training will let her handle Coco's serves, and will tilt the match towards her.

by ponchi101 Also: how much money would have anybody put down if told that by the QF's of BOTH SIDES, there would be only one player with previous slams wins, and it would be on the WTA?

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:31 pm Also: how much money would have anybody put down if told that by the QF's of BOTH SIDES, there would be only one player with previous slams wins, and it would be on the WTA?
It is not really so surprising- 2 if the big 3 not playing, the third injured, and so on..

by ashkor87 Very impressed with Coco's forehand today .no sign of the weak pop from being too close to the ball .has her new coach fixed it, I wonder...

by ashkor87 Expecting a Garcia -Sabalenka finals now! Happy that Saba is doing well at last ..Garcia has done the right thing, replacing Dad as coach, everyone needs that....time for Tsitsi to do it,!

by ti-amie
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:27 am Expecting a Garcia -Sabalenka finals now! Happy that Saba is doing well at last ..Garcia has done the right thing, replacing Dad as coach, everyone needs that....time for Tsitsi to do it,!
Stefanos kick Apostolos to the curb for a coach that will send out all alone to play a match and wouldn't hold his hand and talk him through it? I'll believe it when I see it.

Garcia apparently did the right thing.

by ponchi101 Garcia: poster girl for the "Do not bring your dad to work" day. Any day.

by ashkor87 Assuming Saba can get past Pliskova, which she really should, her pace and depth can push Swiatek back...could be fun to watch..

by ponchi101 Sure. She can push anybody. She can also have them ducking for cover. We don't know what will be on any given day.

by Suliso I was fully expecring Garcia to beat Gauff and she did. Coco not yet ready to win a Slam. Close, but something is missing...

by ponchi101 What is it? Because she already has one final. I can't think what can be.

by Suliso I'm not sure either... Perhaps she's just lacking power compared to the very best. Serve is also just average. RG was a good draw and also her game might work the best onl clay.

by ashkor87 I think Garcia was just too good on the day..in the zone..nobody could have beaten her, not Coco's fault...Garcia's service return was a notch better than it has been...Coco's passing shots could be sharper, I always feel her opponents can safely come to the net against her..that is one area she can improve ..

by bestjax
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:59 am What is it? Because she already has one final. I can't think what can be.
Coco's big forehand motion with extreme grip is much better suited for slower courts, so I like her chances in Paris, Indian Wells much more than Wimbledon or these fast US Open courts. Changing the FH will be hard, improving her serve should be very doable, she has very high speed already.

by ponchi101 Changing a stroke like the FH, at this stage in her career, is almost impossible. I have never seen anybody doing it this late. I remember when Edberg came into the tour and people were saying he needed to change his continental grip on the FH to make the leap to #1. He could not, but still made it. But he stuck to that odd stroke until he retired.
The sole person that comes to mind: Tatjana Mariam going from a 2H BH to a 1H. But that is a different level.
I say Coco has arrived. Look at her results of late: RG Final, not so good at W, QF's here. That is a solid player, who is thick in the mix of potential winners. The fact that she did not here does not mean she is not ready; it simply says, to me, that the parity in the WTA is super deep.

by Suliso Ponchi's famous "other" has had a rare loss.

by ponchi101 Uhm, not yet. Jabeur was not in the original list, so she would still be OTHER. :)
But yes. I was thinking other was going to be somebody ranked below 20, ala Rybakina. So, this time, OTHER was not the pick.
I will be quietly rooting for Ons, so we will continue that streak of years with 4 different winners, and two new winners per year.

by ti-amie