2024 AO Survivor Pool: WTA Picks and Results Summary

Can you beat the draw? Just one measly pick a day...

Moderator: Contest Staff

meganfernandez United States of America

Re: 2024 AO Survivor Pool: WTA Picks and Results Summary

Post by meganfernandez »

aidsasis wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:15 am
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:43 am Wozniacki - you'll sail through
They sailed out instead. One of my faves is gone :(
Me, too, and I never thought I'd call Wozniacki a favorite. I didn't like her defensive style before she retired. now I appreciate it. Bummed for you, the tournament, and the 14 victims today.
naughtyT Australia

Post by naughtyT »

Wozniacki - you'll sail through, but she is in a soft section where I'd take her over both BHM and Sakkari, I think. I'm betting on a 2017 Featherweight Flashback, Mertens vs Wozniakic, for a spot in the quarters.

Up a creek without a paddle..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

First admin-jinx for you, Megan :clap: :clap: :clap:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

:ax

Post by meganfernandez »

Fastbackss wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:58 am:ax
Almost half the pool out
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:01 am First admin-jinx for you, Megan :clap: :clap: :clap:
Caro, your mean? My third rookie mistake.
Grancordero Spain

Post by Grancordero »

And then there were 20 (provided that Mertens and Sakkari pull through)
Oploskoffie Netherlands

Post by Oploskoffie »

Fastbackss wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:58 am:ax
Yeah... Always nice to be a part of TAT history, though from a personal perspective, this often tends to be on bloodshed days like these, somehow. I have until the FO to figure where I've gone wrong all these years... :lol: (which I suspect will often feature a French player :lol:)
My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Ponchi will have to add this to the history thread - where top 3 picks were eliminated in one day!
joanjettson Brazil

Post by joanjettson »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:43 am Day 4 Summary - 59 of you went to battle today, and you left no one behind without a pick. God's speed.

Wozniacki -14
Fernandez - 12
Garcia - 7
Tsurenko - 6
Sakkari - 5
Mertens - 4
Haddad Maia - 3
Juvan - 2
Pavlyuchenkova - 2
Anisimova - 1
Jabeur - 1
Krejckkova - 1
Rakhimova - 1

FULL REACTIONS:
Remember. I was out on Day 1. I am in no position to judge. But I get to anyway.

Wozniacki - you'll sail through, but she is in a soft section where I'd take her over both BHM and Sakkari, I think. I'm betting on a 2017 Featherweight Flashback, Mertens vs Wozniakic, for a spot in the quarters.

Fernandez - You're golden if she wins because she will get Coco'd in the next round, but I predict a close match, like 60/40. (With no evidence, like a head-to-head or ever having seen Parks play a full match.) Parks is only ranked a couple spots behind Leylah. This isn't a gimme.

Garcia - You could have played her in the next round, but also, she could beat Gauff. Yes, I said it. Gauff is fantastic but she isn't unbeatable by any means. Garcia appears to be in great form again. If you're playing for the Updated thread, solid pick. If you're playing for glory, you have to hold on to these cards.

Tsurenko - I have no clue. I hope you do. By ranking, she should beat Masarova and then lose next round to Sabalenka. if you know enough to feel good about this pick, it's a smart one.

Sakkari - It is possible to win a SP without ever taking this risk, you know. :) But odds are she will win, and I don't expect her to live up to her seeding. I like Mertens to beat Sakkari if they both get through. I should respect Sakkari more. I'm just never surprised when she loses.

Mertens - too early. Is this the "last safe time to pick her" move?

Haddad Maia - solid pick and I think Wozniacki might beat her, so I can get behind this. Which is bad news for you because I am dreadful at WTA SPs.

Juvan - Remember when she almost did something special about 5 or 6 years ago, then got hurt? That, and that she is Iga's close friend, is the extent of my knowledge about Juvan. I know she was a touted prospect and has loads of talent. This is probably a savvy pick.

Pavs - A toss-up considering Badosa won so easily in the first round, and then no idea if Anisimova can keep up her good form in the next round, Bit of a wild shot but could pay off.

Anisimova - I think she will win, but might go another round, too. And then it could get interesting in Sabalenka's section. Remember when Sabalenka was the red-hot pick to win the 2019 AO after blazing through the summer and fall of 2018? All the experts were picking her to break out here. She lost in the third round to Anisimova, 3 and 2.

Jabeur - I think Jabeur will live to fight another day on clay and at Wimbledon. I don't think she is irreparably damaged from last year, as some do. And she looked good in the first two rounds. But Andreeva is dangerous, and she just bageled the first set.

Krejcikova - I like this pick. Siegemund likely in the next round, and she is at her most honey-badgery right now. I wouldn't want to pick Krejcikova then. Good time to use her.

Rakhimova - Who? Is this the mysterious "Other" Ponchi is always talking about? Mr_socko, care to explain? She isn't ranked much higher than her opponent.

Good luck, everyone.
What a delightful morning-after read! Please rename "FULL REACTIONS" to "KISS OF DEATH" :ax
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

When I saw the score this morning all I could think about was Megan saying we could've picked Garcia next round :D
:steven:
New England Nitemare United States of America

Post by New England Nitemare »

Well.....that was rough. Garcia....ouch. But I thought about taking Fernandez and Wozniacki also, and they both lost too!!!

Good luck to the rest of the survivors!!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And now add Sakkari.
The pool is down to 17 players, just on day 4. I gather the UPDATED topic has never been started this early. :cry: :cry: :cry:

EDIT: And Mertens. I did not see that she was out too. The pool is down to 13 players.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
New England Nitemare United States of America

Post by New England Nitemare »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:06 pm And now add Sakkari.
The pool is down to 17 players, just on day 4. I gather the UPDATED topic has never been started this early. :cry: :cry: :cry:

EDIT: And Mertens. I did not see that she was out too. The pool is down to 13 players.
WOW....13 lucky people live to see another day!!! Not out of round 2 yet....sheesh.

I've been playing these survivor pools for a minute, and I NEVER have seen this few still standing so early.

It goes to show you how tough it is to win one of these survivor pools!!

At this rate we could have a winner before the week is out!!!
naughtyT Australia

Post by naughtyT »

Crikey what a bloodbath. I'm very surprised to be still standing.

Post by meganfernandez »

New England Nitemare wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:22 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:06 pm And now add Sakkari.

WOW....13 lucky people live to see another day!!! Not out of round 2 yet....sheesh.

I've been playing these survivor pools for a minute, and I NEVER have seen this few still standing so early.

It goes to show you how tough it is to win one of these survivor pools!!

At this rate we could have a winner before the week is out!!!
Yeah, we could! Se used to have 300-some people play the pool. Now it's 100-some, so that's one reason only 12 are still alive on Day 5. But we didn't have a bandwagon crash until today, and it was pretty small.

I never sniff the second week of a WTA SP. They are so hard. But it also makes the WTA fun to watch. it's not predictable and we get to see new players have big results.