TBD vs TBD
RESERVED
TBD vs TBD
RESERVED
TBD vs TBD
MEN'S SINGLES R3
Upcoming
I. Ivashka vs ITA L. Musetti [26]

by meganfernandez Teeter-totter first set goes to Mugu. Thought Kvitova played better but she (jazzyg alert) double-faulted too much. :)

Can't wait for Collins-Cornet tonight.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:54 pm Teeter-totter first set goes to Mugu. Thought Kvitova played better but she (jazzyg alert) double-faulted too much. :)

Can't wait for Collins-Cornet tonight.
Why? You smell an upset? I say Collins blows her off court.

by ashkor87 Agree - Collins will win easily

by ashkor87 Brooksby Alcaraz could be interesting...is Alcaraz savvy enough? Seems a bit immature still..good test for him..

by jazzyg Kvitova has been the better player for this entire match.

Now let's see if she actually wins it.

And megan, with Gauff it's about more than double faults for me. Her forehand breaks down under pressure, too, and she does not play well in close matches. That does not mean it won't change, maybe even at this tournament, but she still is not in my top five most likely to win.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:43 pm Kvitova has been the better player for this entire match.

She will. I can't watch it anymore. It's a tense and unenjoyable match for me, just waiting for one of them to make a sloppy mistake.

I honestly don't think Muguruza is a great tennis player. She has had a few great runs, but she just doesn't execute, time after time. Potential isn't level. Very one-dimensional game, too.

Now she will win the tournament.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:43 pm Kvitova has been the better player for this entire match.

And megan, with Gauff it's about more than double faults for me. Her forehand breaks down under pressure, too, and she does not play well in close matches. That does not mean it won't change, maybe even at this tournament, but she still is not in my top five most likely to win.
I can see that. I just think that's going to improve, and she is steadily improving (French Open final). I don't know when it will come. My Gauff optimism for this tournament comes from the inconsistency of everyone else in the draw, other than Swiatek and Pegula. Swiatek is my pick.

by ponchi101

I have always been suspect of strokes with extreme grips. Khachanov's FH generates a lot of power, but way too many errors. Berasategui's FH was a monster, as long as he was on clay and had 30 seconds to prepare. Edberg's continental was the opposite, unable to put power and pace behind the ball.
Coco's grip is too extreme. For my taste. Of course, too late to even try to tamper with that. It is what she has.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:46 pm

She will. I can't watch it anymore. It's a tense and unenjoyable match for me, just waiting for one of them to make a sloppy mistake.

I honestly don't think Muguruza is a great tennis player. She has had a few great runs, but she just doesn't execute, time after time. Potential isn't level. Very one-dimensional game, too.

And, she serves for the match and.... here we are. Starting to remind me of the Osaka match at the Aussie (2020). She had it, and then just busted.
Of course, only looking at the score. ESPN is showing soccer, bicycles, F1 and more soccer. Tennis? nah...

by Suliso I'm watching. It's an average match despite the close scoreline. Lots of winners and errors, both mostly from Kvitova.

by ponchi101 Well, can't be sad because Petra won, and Garbie certainly did better than what I expected.
But she had a break, up in the 3rd :cry:

by Suliso Wow, what a win for Petra. On her 4th MP after saving two from Mugu. Still, I don't think she'll go very far. One more win perhaps?

A bad season for Muguruza. Now she has no chance of defending her WTA finals points and is guaranteed to tumble out of the top 20.

by JazzNU I don't know what y'all are watching. Thought it was a great, highly entertaining match. Garbine was the better player at times in the match. Surprisingly, the more steady one. She fought well, but really needed to win it before the tiebreak as I suspected. Kvitova can dial up too many easy points in a tiebreak. The missed opportunities will hurt, but hopefully she won't get too down on herself for how she played. After her extremely shaky first round match where she was trying to just give it away with really bad errors (not reflected in the score, had to be watching to see what I'm talking about, would be up 40-0 and just hit very off errors to make a game closer than it ever needed to be), these last two matches have been a nice return to form and by far some of the best tennis she's played all year.

Happy for Petra, but I have a hard time rooting for her here because I never feel like she'll win it all because she struggles with New York in general and the humidity more specifically. But maybe this is her year here and she'll surprise me. I certainly used to think it was only a matter of time with how she used to dominate at the Connecticut Open, but it never translated so I gave up the idea of her ever winning this one.

by Suliso I wrote it was an average before the last 3 games. The end was indeed outstanding.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:00 pm I wrote it was an average before the last 3 games. The end was indeed outstanding.
The TB was great. Kvitova won the battle of wills. Thank goodness they were both playing well at the same time. I think Pegula will beat Kvitova, though.

I posted this yesterday when it was clear Ajla was going to win, but I think the second week is coming into focus:

QUARTERS
Swiatek vs Pegula (maybe Zheng instead of Swiatek)
Collins vs Martic (maybe Sabalenka instead of Collins)
Garcia vs Gauff
Samsonova vs Jabeur

SEMIS
Swiatek vs Collins
Garcia vs Samsonova

FINAL
Swiatek def Garcia

by Suliso Not coming into focus for me just yet... I'll wait till all the third round matches are finished before offering my opinion. :)

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:15 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:46 pm

And, she serves for the match and.... here we are. Starting to remind me of the Osaka match at the Aussie (2020). She had it, and then just busted.
Of course, only looking at the score. ESPN is showing soccer, bicycles, F1 and more soccer. Tennis? nah...
Did Mugu serve for the match at 5-3 in the third? Is that when she made two terrible UFEs at 30-30? One was a shank off a very makeable ball, the other was a backhand dump into the net from a mid-court ball that she didn't get up to.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:20 pm Not coming into focus for me just yet... I'll wait till all the third round matches are finished before offering my opinion. :)
Gotta see what happens in Swiatek-Davis? That 50/50 match? :) I can definitely see a few variations and there should be at least one surprise still to come... Maybe Zheng over Swiatek or Ajla's experience and steadiness over Samsonova.

by Suliso Correct, that's exactly that happened. However Petra hit far more winners overall, was only hindered by her 12 double faults.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:23 pm Correct, that's exactly that happened. However Petra hit far more winners overall, was only hindered by her 12 double faults.
And 50 unforced errors... 50!! That's Ostapenkian.

by Suliso Had all those shots gone in the score line would probably be 6-4, 6-3...

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:21 pm ...

Did Mugu serve for the match at 5-3 in the third? Is that when she made two terrible UFEs at 30-30? One was a shank off a very makeable ball, the other was a backhand dump into the net from a mid-court ball that she didn't get up to.
That is what I saw in the Scores page (USO site). 5-3, 30-30, then blink and it was 5-4.

by Suliso Btw any idea whether 2nd serve winning percentage includes double faults or not?

by ponchi101 It does.
---0---
Can anybody tell me what brand is the one Martic uses? I am glad she finally got signed, and I like the logo, but I have never seen it.

by jazzyg I have not been able to watch a whole lot of the first week because the U.S. Open coincides with my busiest time of the year, but my predictions for the QFs and on are this at the moment:

QF

Zheng vs. Pegula
No idea vs. Collins
Garcia vs. Gauff
Jabeur vs. Samsonova (not confident on either of these)

SF

Pegula vs Collins
Garcia v. Samsonova

F

Garcia defeats Pegula

In order of likelihood of winning the tournament, as of now:

1) Garcia
2) Samsonova
3) Pegula
4) Collins
5) Jabeur (if she suddenly gets her act together and starts playing better)

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:28 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:21 pm ...

That is what I saw in the Scores page (USO site). 5-3, 30-30, then blink and it was 5-4.
But Mugu saved a match point in the TB with an incredible first-serve return, right at Kvitova's feet as she was coming in behind the serve. Kvitova did a great job digging out a X-court BH volley, and Muguruza ran it down and whipped a FH X-court past Kvitova, who was moving to cover the line. There was some great stuff in the TB. But Mugu should have closed at 5-3. She was in control of those points.

by Suliso And in case you're wondering ponchi the first match point for Mugu was saved with an ace and the second was Kvitova dominated from the start. Some great shot would have been required to win that one.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:35 pm I have not been able to watch a whole lot of the first week because the U.S. Open coincides with my busiest time of the year, but my predictions for the QFs and on are this at the moment:

QF

Zheng vs. Pegula
No idea vs. Collins
Garcia vs. Gauff
Jabeur vs. Samsonova (not confident on either of these)

SF

Pegula vs Collins
Garcia v. Samsonova

F

Garcia defeats Pegula

In order of likelihood of winning the tournament, as of now:

1) Garcia
2) Samsonova
3) Pegula
4) Collins
5) Jabeur (if she suddenly gets her act together and starts playing better)
I went with Martic in your "no idea" section because she was on fire vs Badosa. Didn't drop serve. I think she will beat Azarenka today. But that could be a close one. I haven't seen Azarenka play much this year. I'm pretty much writing off Bencic and Pliskova, maybe wrongly.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:40 pm And in case you're wondering ponchi the first match point for Mugu was saved with an ace and the second was Kvitova dominated from the start. Some great shot would have been required to win that one.
Mugu had a match point? Was that at 6-5 before the TB?

by Suliso Two consecutive match points with Petra serving at 5-6. From 5-2 Muguruza I watched every point.

by JazzNU
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:22 pm
Gotta see what happens in Swiatek-Davis? That 50/50 match? :) I can definitely see a few variations and there should be at least one surprise still to come... Maybe Zheng over Swiatek or Ajla's experience and steadiness over Samsonova.
Did a double take over that phrasing. Not sure I've ever seen or heard those words where Ajla is concerned.

by JazzNU
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:41 pm
Suliso wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:40 pm And in case you're wondering ponchi the first match point for Mugu was saved with an ace and the second was Kvitova dominated from the start. Some great shot would have been required to win that one.
Mugu had a match point? Was that at 6-5 before the TB?
Yes, she had two match points. It was a 10 minute game.

by meganfernandez
JazzNU wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:44 pm
Did a double take over that phrasing. Not sure I've ever seen or heard those words where Ajla is concerned.
I'm a pioneer. :) I'm no Ajla expert, but I think both of those things were keys to her win last night. At 29 with Slam QFs, she's a veteran, even more so compared to Samsonova's lack of big-match play, which is really what I meant.

by meganfernandez Pammy just referred to Alcaraz and Brooksby as a couple of honey deuces. :(

Azarenka running over Martic. Welp.

by JazzNU
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:50 pm
JazzNU wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:44 pm
I'm a pioneer. :) I'm no Ajla expert, but I think both of those things were keys to her win last night. At 29 with Slam QFs, she's a veteran, even more so compared to Samsonova's lack of big-match play, which is really what I meant.
As someone who has watched Ajla plenty over the years, I'm just laughing at the mere notion of steadiness. Veteran based on years, yes. But whew, sounds like you need to watch her in a match when she feels pressure. She admitted to feeling none last night just assuming she would lose, that was the key to her winning. She would've lost to Rodina the match before had Rodina not had an injury mid-match, a match where she admitted to feeling a lot of pressure to win and messing up matches like that in the past and man did that happen until Rodina got injured and had to have an MTO and allowed Ajla back into the match. Steadiness is a new word for me where Ajla's concerned for sure.

by Suliso
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:58 pm
Now you see why I didn't jump on making QF's predictions just yet. I would have chosen Azarenka in this match, though.

by ti-amie My sister who never watches tennis texted me to say Serena shouldn't have played the doubles match the night before. To say I was surprised is putting it mildly.

by ti-amie

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:05 pm
Now you see why I didn't jump on making QF's predictions just yet. I would have chosen Azarenka in this match, though.
That's just no fun.

by nelslus *At this point in time, I don't know why y'all are so convincingly overlooking Petra- who has a 2-0 record against Peguala (granted, for what that's worth.) And, Petra came in to this match with a 5-1 record against Garbine. I mean, LOL, YES, even I get it's highly unlikely that Petra's winning the US Open. But- hey, Suliso and Mistress Suliso, please continue to do your dirty work for Petra's sake. :gorgeous:

*Obviously I was rooting Petra on here- albeit, scaredy-cat that I am, I did NOT!!!! watch this match. And, from what I've read here, thank goodness for that- thanks to ESPN+, we just watched the match points Petra saved and that third set tiebreaker. In any case- what I have learned is, I almost always hate when players lose match points. (I mean, if Novak, Rune and/or Zverev were to lose a big match after having match points, I wouldn't hate that). Of course, for example, I love that Venus won Wimbledon in 2005- all-time great result for me. But, I still hate that Lindsay lost a match point and therefore a Wimbledon title. I of course get the Big Drama of big matches saving match points. But, I can't help feeling terrible for the players who lose these matches. Also, so sorry for ponchi and The Mugsy fans- a player I do like a lot.

I think it can also be easily said that I've never seen Petra get so, understandably), emotional after any 3R win. (And clearly her finace/coach also got teary.)

by meganfernandez Pegula has been a lot steadier this year and won't give Petra as many free points as Mugu did. I wouldn't be shocked if Petra wins, but there's a good reason Pegula is ranked higher. If I can drive Petra toward the trophy with negativity, I'll happily do it. I love her. :)

Commentators pointed out that coaching was helping Petra a lot. No judgment, just saying. I wish I was hearing a lot more about the effects of coaching here.

nelslus wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:11 pm *At this point in time, I don't know why y'all are so convincingly overlooking Petra- who has a 2-0 record against Peguala (granted, for what that's worth.) I mean, LOL, YES, even I get it's highly unlikely that Petra's winning the US Open. But- hey, Suliso and Mistress Suliso, please continue to do your dirty work for Petra's sake. :gorgeous:

*Obviously I was rooting Petra on here- albeit, scaredy-cat that I am, I did NOT!!!! watch this match. And, from what I've read here, thank goodness for that- we just watched the match points Petra saved and that third set tiebreaker. In any case- what I have learned is, I almost always hate when players lose match points. (I mean, if Novak, Rune and/or Zverev were to lose a big match after having match points, I wouldn't hate that). Of course, for example, I love that Venus won Wimbledon in 2005- all-time great result for me. But, I still hate that Lindsay lost a match point and therefore a Wimbledon title. I of course get the Big Drama of big matches saving match point. But, I can't help feeling terrible for the players who lose these matches. Also, so sorry for ponchi and The Mugsy fans- a player I do like a lot.

I think it can also be easily said that I've never seen Petra get so, understandably), emotional after any 3R win. (And clearly her finace/coach also got teary.)

by Suliso Actually I expect Petra to beat Jessica (70-30). What makes me hesitant is her long mediocre history here. I just think she'll run out of steam somewhere, most likely in QF's against Swiatek or Zheng...

I do like Petra a lot, albeit not so much that I wouldn't watch her matches. :D

by Suliso
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:10 pm
Suliso wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:05 pm
That's just no fun.
No worries. I'll have plenty of opportunities to predict everything wrong anyway...

by ponchi101

That's just no fun.
Then let's just jinx everybody:
QFs
Iga/Petra
Bencic/Collins
Gauff/Garcia/
Jabeur/Samsonova

Petra/Collins
Gauff/Samsonova

Collins Def Gauff

And now I have to go because the tailor just arrived for my straightjacket...

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:13 pm Pegula has been a lot steadier this year and won't give Petra as many free points as Mugu did. I wouldn't be shocked if Petra wins, but there's a good reason Pegula is ranked higher.

Commentators pointed out that coaching was helping Petra a lot. No judgment, just saying. I wish I was hearing a lot more about the effects of coaching here.
Of course. Odds are, Pegula wins.

Nevertheless- how many Slam singles titles has Pegula snagged? How many SF's? Experience also matters.

It just felt like almost everyone here was saying Mugsy was beating Petra, the same will be the case for Pegula. LOL, if I had to bet money, I'd probably put it on Pegula, too. But, so few of you have been mentioning Petra at all. Like I sald- please keep at it. :)

And, btw, I truly take very little from these "commentators". Too many IMO spout out too much crap out of their ***es as is (self-censored)- just to make themselves more relevant. Cliches and babble. Coaching has always gone on, and, I am assuming that Mugsy was getting coaching from Conchita and Garbine's team. I think Petra and Garbine know how to win (and, LOL, lose) matches all on their own.

by nelslus
Suliso wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:17 pm Actually I expect Petra to beat Jessica (70-30). What makes me hesitant is her long mediocre history here. I just think she'll run out of steam somewhere, most likely in QF's against Swiatek or Zheng...

I do like Petra a lot, albeit not so much that I wouldn't watch her matches. :D
LOL and Pfffffft. SOME of us are just true (i.e. psychotic) Petra fans. :freaking:

by meganfernandez Allison Riske is getting off scot-free from the jinxing.
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:20 pm

That's just no fun.
Then let's just jinx everybody:
QFs
Iga/Petra
Bencic/Collins
Gauff/Garcia/
Jabeur/Samsonova

Petra/Collins
Gauff/Samsonova

Collins Def Gauff

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:09 pm
We were at Ravinia while Serena was playing. Got to see Mary Chapin Carpenter and Legend Emmylou Harris- love her so much, and other than a group of Constantly and Annoyingly Chattering women (we did the lawn, and finally had to move)- it was so lovely seeing her. LOL, I had said we would NOT score-board watch- and, of course, we did. SO, SO bummed when we saw that Serena had lost. I truly thought that at least Serena would get through this match.

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:20 pmThen let's just jinx everybody:
QFs
Iga/Petra
Bencic/Collins
Gauff/Garcia/
Jabeur/Samsonova

Petra/Collins
Gauff/Samsonova

Collins Def Gauff

Nice try. An unfelt jinx never works. :gorgeous:

Nevertheless, please keep that straightjacket handy. I am quite certain that I'll need it soon. :cry:

by Suliso Indeed, to properly jinx you have to truly believe in what you're writing. Otherwise the tennis gods will not listen.

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:26 pm Allison Riske is getting off scot-free from the jinxing.
You keep breaking TAT etiquette. Clearly, it is far more polite to have the quote first, THEN your comment. :gorgeous:

PS: Riske always brings her own jinxes. She doesn't need our help.

by nelslus ....Meanwhile, Vika DOES continue to linger.... :cry:

by meganfernandez Sorry, is this better?

hehe

nelslus wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:36 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:26 pm Allison Riske is getting off scot-free from the jinxing.
You keep breaking TAT etiquette. Clearly, it is far more polite to have the quote first, THEN your comment. :gorgeous:

PS: Riske always brings her own jinxes. She doesn't need our help.

by Suliso What's the problem with Vika? Not a fan, but mostly she's ok.

by nelslus
Suliso wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:38 pm What's the problem with Vika? Not a fan, but mostly she's ok.
She is just unbearably loud to me. And, believe it or not, for some reason- her game bores me. OFF the court, I can find her pretty endearing and witty.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:38 pm What's the problem with Vika? Not a fan, but mostly she's ok.
Do you mean level-wise, why I/others haven't been giving her much chance? I've always liked her, I just didn't think she had any fangs anymore. Hasn't played much this year and hasn't had any great results lately. Losing 0 and 2 to Raducanu in Cincy wasn't encouraging. I can't keep my eye on all players all the time, I just hadn't seen anything particularly encouraging from her, and I happened to see Martic killing it the other day, hence my prediction. Kind of hard to believe Vika was in a Slam final 2 years ago... but that was also a weird year.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:35 pm Indeed, to properly jinx you have to truly believe in what you're writing. Otherwise the tennis gods will not listen.
YOUR jinxs work that way. Mine can happen even by the most remote thought, crossing fleetingly between one frontal lobe and the other. Even just a wrongly stimulated synapse in the cerebellum can do it for me.

by ponchi101 And, of course, I have to suffer one more Diego match. Tiafoe trying to finally smother a headless chicken.

by Suliso A key third set in progress between Rublev and Shapovalov. The winner likely to win in four.

by JazzNU If someone isn't the biggest fan of Vika's, I just assume that person doesn't have the amnesia most others practice where she's concerned. Rebranding at it's finest.

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:45 pm And, of course, I have to suffer one more Diego match. Tiafoe trying to finally smother a headless chicken.
LOL, we may have our disagreements now and then. But, at least we'll always have Diago Contempt. :gorgeous:

by nelslus
Suliso wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:47 pm A key third set in progress between Rublev and Shapovalov. The winner likely to win in four.
Crap year vs. crap year. I say this goes to 5 irrelevant sets.

by JazzNU Did Pam seriously just reference Shapovalov's pitiful attempt at music as he was winning that 3rd set?

by ponchi101
nelslus wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:57 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:45 pm And, of course, I have to suffer one more Diego match. Tiafoe trying to finally smother a headless chicken.
LOL, we may have our disagreements now and then. But, at least we'll always have Diago Contempt. :gorgeous:
No, don't get me wrong. I admire this man; he has reached unimaginable levels of tennis with a game that is as limited as can be. He is, to me, a total overachiever. He is an inline 4 turbo in a world of V8's.
But I said it a few days ago: playing him is like trying to kill a cockroach with a broomstick. His game has become tediousness defined.

by Suliso
nelslus wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:04 pm
Suliso wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:47 pm A key third set in progress between Rublev and Shapovalov. The winner likely to win in four.
Crap year vs. crap year. I say this goes to 5 irrelevant sets.
You were right, but I wish you weren't... I'd like to see the next match on that court.

by jazzyg That was an incredible get and pass off the line by Tiafoe at 7-7 in the first-set tiebreak, helping him overcome five set points and take the first from Schwartzman.

by jazzyg Shapavalov-Rublev has been the most entertaining men's match of the tournament to me.

Shows how opinions can differ.

by ponchi101 Diego decided to drive everybody crazy and give Tiafoe a set that he had completely in his tiny pocket.
A true monumental collapse.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:09 pm Shapavalov-Rublev has been the most entertaining men's match of the tournament to me.

Shows how opinions can differ.
I watched some of the third set and it was fun tennis. I haven't watched a full men's match yet.

by Suliso I've been watching for the last hour. Shapovalov just gifted probably decisive break to Rublev. Watching all four hours would have been way too much.

by ti-amie

by dryrunguy Musetti right now.

by ponchi101 Of course they are not showing it here but, the Cilic/Evans match seems to be some titanic struggle.
Good quality?

by JazzNU It seems like everything is going the way of Hawkeye Live and I guess the most important part is there is buy in from the players, but it is quite obvious that system isn't batting 1000 at all times. They just showed a "just missed" second serve from Pliskova on screen that was a few inches further out than what it clearly was in actuality. Not the first or fifth time I've seen that this week.

I'm not sure the accuracy all the time matters at this point to those that want that system, but I wonder if using it so often lowers the accuracy?

by ponchi101 I agree. And I know we are watching on TV, and I don't have an HD TV, but there are a lot of balls that I felt were clearly long (on the baseline) and the machine calls them in.
I say it is good as a back up. But I miss the lines people.

by ponchi101 I say it is safe to say that Bencic is a very, very good player. But she will not win a slam. That was a winnable match, against a player that is supposed to be on the downturn.

by Deuce For those looking for an interesting match, Nakashima just took the 1st set off of Sinner, 6-3.
Cornet - Collins is also intriguing (Collins won the 1st 6-4, now 3-3 in the 2nd).

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:18 am For those looking for an interesting match, Nakashima just took the 1st set off of Sinner, 6-3.
Cornet - Collins is also intriguing (Collins won the 1st 6-4, now 3-3 in the 2nd).
Collins is asking her coach for "one technical adjustment" on the return
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:47 am I say it is safe to say that Bencic is a very, very good player. But she will not win a slam. That was a winnable match, against a player that is supposed to be on the downturn.
So definitive! She's only 25. Kerber didn't get one until 28. Bencic could improve and get a lucky draw. She did win the gold medal. But she has underperformed in Slams. One SF then only R4s.

by ponchi101 Kerber is so very much the exception. I hope you are right, because I like her.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:32 am Kerber is so very much the exception. I hope you are right, because I like her.
Others who got one in their late 20s or early 30s: Schiavone, Li Na, Stosur, Bartoli, Wozniacki, Pennetta, Novotna. Halep and Mauresmo were 26. Collins will be 28 when she wins the US Open next week. :) Totally possible have your best years later.

by meganfernandez Collins had 52 winners to 29 errors and won 87% of her first serves. Sabalenka next.

Sabalenka was also remarkably clean, 26 winners to 16 errors and 2 double-faults. She still had to hit a lot of second serves, though. Danielle struggled with her return today - otherwise I'd say Collins will make Sabalenka pay for missing a lot of first serves and then force some doubles. Sabalenka leads the h2h 3-0, but Danielle will have the crowd.

Jule Neimeier is the surprise of the day. Straight sets over Zheng.

by Deuce Collins just eliminated my pick to win this tournament.
Last year, after about the second round, I joked that Emma and Leylah would meet in the Final.
This year, my 'joke pick' was Cornet.
'What could possibly go wrong?', I thought...

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:56 am
Jule Neimeier is the surprise of the day. Straight sets over Zheng.
Yeah - Niemeier has come out of virtually nowhere to be a legitimate threat to pretty much everyone any time she plays now.
I was looking forward to continuing to see Qinwen play for a couple more rounds, at least.

by shtexas Still hate Sinner's bib shirt.

by skatingfan
shtexas wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:47 am Still hate Sinner's bib shirt.
I don't understand that cut at all.