Did you play today?

Our main board to talk about our sport
Fastbackss United States of America

Re: Did you play today?

Post by Fastbackss »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:01 pm
Fastbackss wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:13 pm Detroit! Representing SE Michigan...

Anywho back to Megan. The coach who runs our weekly drill session says that in lieu of the drop shot is just to mix up with an occasional slice (or some form of spin). She says that it's a way to break up the monotony of a backboard player returning and getting accustomed to your pace. Forces them to move/react slightly differently which has two benefits. One - more likely for them to (expletive), even slightly. Two - keeps them from being able to zero in on the same ball / strike zone over and over.
I like this... the question is always when do you disrupt your own rhythm to disrupt theirs. I agree, though, make them DO something, not just retrieve. Or retrieve some junk.
It isn't helpful, but her response to that was to make it so that you are "comfortable" enough to hit a slice from essentially the same position.

Ps - I said mis - hit , which clearly was scrubbed by the expletive detector when it was one word
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I gather I have to fine tune the detector. Sorry, my bad.
But a bit funny (if I may say... ;) )
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I first learned to volley quite late in my life, at the age of 28 or so.. had been playing for 15 years already.. so it is never too late. Since I have never been coached, I just kept coming forward and 'learning on the job'.. took almoat a year, during which i got passed by everybody. but eventually I did learn - today, I am feared and respected as a volleyer..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The sole stroke for which you can't escape the grip. It has to be a continental or it will not work.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:31 pm The sole stroke for which you can't escape the grip. It has to be a continental or it will not work.
Generally true but how does Nadal manage? He is the best volleyer among the great players,though he doesn't need to volley, usually..
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:02 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:42 pm Started in LA and moved steadily east ! Iowa City, then Dallas, then Detroit for a bit, then camp hill, Pa. and finally the Capital area...our son was born when we lived in Maryland...
You skipped over Indiana!
He he true..did visit IU a couple times..
My alma mater! Beautiful campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by meganfernandez »

Hey, I won a singles match yesterday! USTA league. Avenged a loss from last week's tournament. I knew from that match that she would give me tons of errors, so I focused on consistency, picking on her backhand, and not panicking when she went through short patches of landing her big topspin FHs and serves. It got a little tight in the second set, and I have lost so many tight sets in my life - I'd say 80% or more - that I expect to choke and blow it. So I kept reminding myself to stay positive, give a good effort on every ball, stick to the game plan that was definitely working, and believe in myself. Closed it out 6-2, 6-4. I think I was up 40-love in the last game and lost two points, and that's when I can get tight - am I going to blow it? But I figured she was feeling tight herself and all I could do was make her hit balls. She shanked a backhand.

She has a legit one-handed backhand - drives it and chips it. Misses it a lot, but it's fun to watch, and unusual. I'd love to develop a chip return to drop it short. A lot of women I play don't want to move up and would struggle with that low ball.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Congrats, Megan. But remember: it is not about winning. How did you FEEL while on court? And, how did your strokes feel?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:33 am
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:31 pm The sole stroke for which you can't escape the grip. It has to be a continental or it will not work.
Generally true but how does Nadal manage? He is the best volleyer among the great players,though he doesn't need to volley, usually..
Nadal hits his volleys with a continental.
When you say the great players, do you mean the recent Big 3? Because I agree, Nadal is damn good, but Roger was better there.
And if you are including greats from the past, Nadal is not the best.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:01 pm Congrats, Megan. But remember: it is not about winning. How did you FEEL while on court? And, how did your strokes feel?
Thanks. Strokes felt okay to good, occasionally very good. Didn't swing as freely as I can - I'd say B+ on strokes and movement. I didn't come in confidently. I botched the one easy volley I had. Mentally and emotionally, it was tense.

I go back and forth on the importance of winning. It's not the most important thing - fairness is, then fun, then exercise, teamwork, etc. But we're keeping score and it's a competitive format. I think it is about winning to some extent. I'm trying to win the match. And that continues to be a tough, tense endeavor.

Sometimes matches are a lot of fun, no matter the outcome. I've gotten a lot of pleasure from competing hard and playing great points and having some camaraderie. Sometimes challenging myself mentally (concentrating, strategizing, working harder) and emotionally (staying positive, trying to have fun). But there's always a lot of stress and confusion and discomfort, and sometimes it's hard to feel good about it.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:04 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:33 am
Nadal hits his volleys with a continental.
When you say the great players, do you mean the recent Big 3? Because I agree, Nadal is damn good, but Roger was better there.
And if you are including greats from the past, Nadal is not the best.
Nadal is a better volleyer than Federer and much better than Djokovic
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Agree on Djokovic. That is his "weak" part.
Rafa over Roger at the net? Now, we have a proper discussion there ;)
Tybal United States of America

Post by Tybal »

Taking it slow and enjoying the process is key. And hey, those two good backhands down the line must've felt like a win.

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:26 am
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:10 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:02 pm

You skipped over Indiana!
My wife spent summer interning with an architect in Elkhart, Indiana ..I visited the place just for that reason..all there was then is one street with a Pizza Hut ..
I just saw this, ashkor. Elkhart is a lot more than a stoplight and a Pizza Hut these days. It has grown a lot. A mysterious benefactor left the town several million dollars for creative improvements, so that has helped. did you see an Amish? There are big Amish communities nearby.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:26 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:26 am
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:10 pm
My wife spent summer interning with an architect in Elkhart, Indiana ..I visited the place just for that reason..all there was then is one street with a Pizza Hut ..
I just saw this, ashkor. Elkhart is a lot more than a stoplight and a Pizza Hut these days. It has grown a lot. A mysterious benefactor left the town several million dollars for creative improvements, so that has helped. did you see an Amish? There are big Amish communities nearby.
Lovely! Will tell her...