by ti-amie 2023 Week 1
Like we never left...tennis returns!

Tennis Watchers

Welcome back Tennis Watchers! While the calendar still says 2022, tennis is ringing in the new year on its 2023 season already starting tomorrow with the kick off of the United Cup. The event, which is brand new for 2023 will be a combined, team event featuring both WTA and ATP players. A few days later, a full slate of tournaments will begin with Adelaide (also a combined tournament), Auckland, and Pune.

Coverage will look similar to last year with Tennis Channel being the main hub of matches, with Tennis TV streaming the ATP matches.

If you haven’t yet, be sure to check out the 2023 Tennis Watchers Calendar store! You still have time to order your calendar, featuring tennis photos and a listing of each week's tournaments.

Check out the full guide with links below, and enjoy happy new year!

by ti-amie 2023 Week 2
Heating Up Down Under

Tennis Watchers

Overview

The tennis has really kicked into high gear with three more tournaments plus Australian Open Qualifying this week. Yes....that’s right....we are already talking about the first slam of the year! In addition to qualifying, both the WTA and ATP will be in Adelaide again this week. The WTA returns to Hobart and the ATP picks up where the WTA left off in Auckland this week too!

Coverage

With qualifying kicking off Sunday, this is your reminder we will switch over to ESPN for slam coverage. ESPN Plus will be your home for all qualifying matches. Keep in mind the price jump from 7.99 to 9.99 per month.

The tour events (Adelaide, Auckland, and Hobart) will be on Tennis Channel (ATP streaming on Tennis TV) this week. Tennis Channel will also have a live kick off show the half hour prior to matches each day.

by JazzNU FYI, ESPN signed a like a 10 year deal with the Australian Open last year and they are now the exclusive home of the AO, which is why there is no extra court coverage on DirecTV, they aren't allowing it.

Tennis Channel will still have replays, but that's it.

And ESPN 3 access, which typically allows you to watch a limited number of marquee matches thru your internet or cable provider, appears to be absent (it's possible ESPN torched that starting in 2023 - I haven't been in the app for anything but their main content since the US Open).

So if you want to watch different courts or really, anything ESPN doesn't have it on ESPN/ESPN2, you'll need to sign up for ESPN+ for the month ($10) most likely . Or watch by other means, never forget that is an option :).

by ti-amie And they don't label the courts which means that you have to keep searching until you find the court you want. For example I wanted to watch the end of the Eubanks/Kwon match last night. It was supposedly on Court 15. But if I clicked on what I thought should be Court 15, before or after Court 16 I found everything but that match. I could find the FAA/Pospisil match since it was on a named court so I watched that. Very frustrating.

by ti-amie 2023 Week 3-4
Ready?! (or not)....Play!

Tennis Watchers
Jan 15
Overview

The start to the 2023 season has been a fast one, but hopefully by now you are acclimated to the Australian time zone because things are about to shift up a gear. Sunday will be the start of the 2023 Australian Open here in the States. It seems hard to believe, but first slam of the year is officially on the clock.

Coverage

Coverage will shift over to ESPN networks, including ESPN + which will air every match first ball to last ball. Of note, ESPN + will be the home for those first matches of the day during the week as ESPN 2 will typically start coverage around 9:00pm EST. Tennis Channel will also air a daily preview show at 5:00pm EST. You can check out the full guide below and enjoy the first slam of the year!

by Deuce
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:40 pm And they don't label the courts which means that you have to keep searching until you find the court you want. For example I wanted to watch the end of the Eubanks/Kwon match last night. It was supposedly on Court 15. But if I clicked on what I thought should be Court 15, before or after Court 16 I found everything but that match. I could find the FAA/Pospisil match since it was on a named court so I watched that. Very frustrating.
I can understand that it's frustrating to not be able to watch the match you want to watch... but the Felix - Vasek match was quite entertaining - 2 friends, 2 Canadians, 2 tiebreaks, 4 hours...

Also... while I'm in the 'T.V.' section... I had read in a few places that ESPN had decided not to employ John McEnroe this year at the Aussie Open - he was to work only with Eurosport, and would do so from home in the U.S.
But there he was, commenting on the Nadal - Draper match with his brother on ESPN last night. I don't know if he was in Melbourne or in the U.S., though.

by ti-amie I think I read that ESPN broadcasters were working out of Bristol, Connecticut

by ti-amie
Deuce wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:52 pm
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:40 pm And they don't label the courts which means that you have to keep searching until you find the court you want. For example I wanted to watch the end of the Eubanks/Kwon match last night. It was supposedly on Court 15. But if I clicked on what I thought should be Court 15, before or after Court 16 I found everything but that match. I could find the FAA/Pospisil match since it was on a named court so I watched that. Very frustrating.
I can understand that it's frustrating to not be able to watch the match you want to watch... but the Felix - Vasek match was quite entertaining - 2 friends, 2 Canadians, 2 tiebreaks, 4 hours...

Also... while I'm in the 'T.V.' section... I had read in a few places that ESPN had decided not to employ John McEnroe this year at the Aussie Open - he was to work only with Eurosport, and would do so from home in the U.S.
But there he was, commenting on the Nadal - Draper match with his brother on ESPN last night. I don't know if he was in Melbourne or in the U.S., though.
I try to watch the "star" matches in the second week of a Slam. I like watching players who no one thinks have a chance and every now and then they make it into the second week.

by JazzNU

The matches had the names listed below them for me, but not the court numbers. Not sure why there'd be any difference. Seems both should be listed without much trouble. Hopefully they'll get their act together.

by shmrck14
Deuce wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:52 pm

ESPN started their coverage showing them in the studio and John McEnroe was sitting at the desk, there in Bristol. They have a very minimal prescence in Australia (saw Paw Shriver doing a post match interview). Maybe he'll be with Eurosport for week 2.....

by dryrunguy ESPN's AO coverage doesn't start until 11:30 p.m. tonight? Seriously?

by ti-amie I'm breaking my rule and watching Rublev vs Thiem on my tablet. I think the Tennis Watcher's post in the GS section said that coverage would be ESPN+ only for the first part of the day.

by ti-amie Sorry I should've posted the TV coverage info for the AusOpen here too.

by JazzNU
dryrunguy wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:25 am ESPN's AO coverage doesn't start until 11:30 p.m. tonight? Seriously?
Tomorrow's somewhat late start is more of a head scratcher, tonight is to be expected. There is never going to be a time during football season when ESPN has a game that they will cede one of their on-air channels to tennis if they have a simulcast as well. Manningcast, Spanish language broadcast, fans stream, coaches broadcast, whatever it is, will trump tennis. Also, trump most other sports. And during the playoffs? Not even a sliver of a chance.

by ti-amie

by Deuce ^ Here in Canada, we have TSN - which is owned by ESPN, and is basically a knock-off of it (even the lettering of 'TSN' is of the same font and colour as the lettering of 'ESPN'). The programming of TSN and ESPN is completely different, though.
We have 5 TSN channels. These are all cable TV channels - not streaming - and available to anyone with cable TV. Sometimes the channels operate in unison, with the same programming on all of them (except TSN 2), but fairly often, they show different programming at the same time. During tennis Majors, there are often 3 or 4 of the TSN channels showing a different match each. Anytime a Canadian player plays in a main draw at a Major, TSN will cover it - sometimes using the generic video feed and having one of their TSN employees provide commentary from Canada.
TSN also has a streaming service.

Tonight, for example, they are showing the Aussie Open on 2 channels, and NFL football on the other 2. And the tennis began on time, at 7pm eastern.

That sounds better than what you guys down south get with ESPN.

We also have another sports-only channel called Sportsnet, which has 6 or 7 channels, although 4 of them almost always air the same programming.
And we have two sports-only channels in French, as well - RDS (owned by ESPN, and operated as a French TSN, but with different programming), and TVA Sports. Each of those operate 2 channels.

by jazzyg I should have come to this thread earlier because I had searched and searched on the internet to find out why DirecTV was not having extra-court coverage, and the answer was here.

I am not an ESPN basher--I actually really like most of their announcers and their slam coverage is 1,000 times better than it was in the 1990s, when they once refused to air the live Coria-Moya French Open match that was likely going to decide the tournament so they could air a replay of a Venus-Kirilenko match they already had shown live earlier in the morning--but this truly stinks. The complete disregard for the viewing public to ban the extra-court coverage and then not show tennis at all except for small windows, shunting most of the coverage to ESPN Plus, is pathetic.

I have gotten to the point where in the first week of slams I almost exclusively watch the DirecTV channels so I get uninterrupted match coverage. I have felt lost this week without it, although last year there were only three channels instead of the normal five on DirecTV for the Aussie Open. I am glad this does not apply to the next three slams.

by JazzNU Just a FYI for anyone that finds it more difficult to watch thru other means.

I use a Roku player for the most part when I'm streaming something like Hulu or HBO Max. But a year ago I also got a Google Chromecast (the one with Google TV). It costs anywhere from $30-50. I got it to stream tennis (and other sports when necessary) when it's not thru traditional means. And that's because it is INCREDIBLY easy to cast from a Google Chrome browser to the Chromecast. Like stupidly easy. There has to be a block on the service that prevents it from casting to not make it so for the most part. So, instead of having to go thru my laptop controls to cast to the TV, there's usually just an option when I click to cast to the Chromecast and it's done. Now, for Youtube streams, casting to a Roku is no big deal. But for just about anything else, it's more involved. Even for YT, it's smoother using Chromecast.

So, just an FYI for anyone who isn't signing up for ESPN+ and TC Plus and is watching thru other means, but is like me and prefers it to be on the TV and not on your laptop, tablet, or phone, especially if it's during the day while you're working and need it separate, consider the relatively inexpensive Chromecast as an option to aid your viewing.

I remain steadfast in my refusal to sign up for TC Plus since they won't offer a monthly plan like every other streaming service. Chromecast at $30 and not paying a year of TC Plus at $110 or even a few months of it if they weren't idiots and offered that, means it is already a worthwhile purchase.

by ti-amie 2023 Week 5
Back out from down under
Tennis Watchers

After a lot (and we mean A LOT) of late night and early mornings in Australia, two singles slam champs have been crowned to kick off the year. The tour hits the road once again this week with the WTA in Hua Hin and Lyon. Davis Cup qualifying will also be this week.

Coverage returns to Tennis Channel this week with both WTA events airing on Tennis Channel and TC Plus. Davis Cup will air on TC Plus starting 2/2. Coverage will start early morning matches in Hua Hin, and then Lyon matches will kick off around 6:00am.

Check our the full guide below and enjoy the tennis!

by ti-amie 2023 Week 6
Clay enters the chat

Tennis Watchers

It is a busy week on tour with five events taking place in multiple time zones. The ATP has three events on tap in Dallas, Montpellier, and kicking off the golden swing in Cordoba. The WTA will be in Abu Dhabi and Linz this week.

Coverage will be on Tennis Channel with TC Plus and Tennis TV (ATP) streaming. Keep in mind, Dallas and Cordoba matches will begin late morning eastern time despite that 6:00am coverage block on Tennis Channel. Live tennis will likely be on when you wake up and when you go to bed this week so plenty to enjoy!

You can check out the full guides below, enjoy the week!

by ti-amie 2023 Week 9
You want more?..Tennis will give you more

Tennis Watchers

From one jam packed week of tennis to the next! This week is another full docket with five tournaments on tap with the ATP in Dubai, Acapulco, and Santiago with the WTA in Monterrey and Austin. It will be another week of live tennis starting early in the morning and going well into the evening.

Coverage is again on Tennis Channel, TC Plus and Tennis Channel Plus. With live tennis in multiple time zones those coverage blocks will start early, but live matches for those afternoon tournaments won’t start until midday or afternoon.

As always enjoy the tennis this week!

by ponchi101 They will show Acapulco down here! :yahoo:

by Ainsley I am enjoying that there has been some evening matches to watch after school is out. Many of the matches seem to fall during when I am in school and I miss those, so catching some of the evening action is good.

by ti-amie Domestic Broadcast Schedule Released For 2023 BNP Paribas Open

BY BNP PARIBAS OPEN
03/01/2023
Tennis Channel to Provide Exclusive First-Ball to Last-Ball Coverage From Indian Wells;

Nearly 120 Hours of Live Coverage From All Matches In Tennis Paradise

The BNP Paribas Open, a combined ATP Masters 1000 and WTA 1000 event to be held March 6 – 19, 2023 at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, will feature expansive domestic television coverage on Tennis Channel, with nearly 120 total hours of live action set to be broadcast to fans across the two-week tournament.

The BNP Paribas Open will once again be broadcast exclusively within the United States courtesy of Tennis Channel, with first ball to last ball coverage across Tennis Channel, Samsung TV Plus’ free T2 network and live and on-demand digital subscription service Tennis Channel Plus.

Live coverage of the BNP Paribas Open will commence on Wednesday, March 8 with a full day of coverage of the first round of the WTA and ATP Tour main draws. Coverage will continue through Sunday, March 19, culminating with the women’s singles final beginning at 1:00 p.m. local time (4:00 p.m. ET), followed by the men’s singles final.

In addition, the popular “Tennis Channel Live at the BNP Paribas Open” will be broadcast daily from a studio on-site at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, beginning Wednesday, March 8 and continuing through the last day of play, for a full 60 minutes of commentary and analysis prior to live tennis coverage.

Tennis Channel broadcast talent for the BNP Paribas Open will include Andy Roddick, Steve Weissman, Martina Navratilova, Jan-Michael Gambill, Brett Haber, Chanda Rubin, Tracy Austin, Pam Shriver, Paul Annacone, Jim Courier, Lindsay Davenport, Leif Shiras, Ari Wolfe, Jason Goodall and Geoff Chizever.

Additionally, live streaming of all main draw matches will be available via the Official 2023 BNP Paribas Open mobile app to fans on-site at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, as well as via the ATP Tour, WTA Tour, and Tennis Channel Plus.

The 2023 BNP Paribas Open will also be broadcast in more than 200 countries worldwide. International fans can click here for a full list of global broadcasters.

https://bnpparibasopen.com/tournament/watch/television/

by ti-amie 2023 Week 10-11
Duelling in the Desert

Tennis Watchers

Groundhog be damned, tennis is ready for spring and kicking off the sunshine double with the first of two back-to-back 1000 level events with Indian Wells this week. The yearly dip into the Californian Desert will start mid-week and last throughout the first half of March with coverage on Tennis Channel once again this year. You can check out full guide below!

by ti-amie 2023 Week 12-13
Make it a Sunshine Double

Tennis Watchers

The second half of the sunshine double kicks off Tuesday in Miami. While the temps in the air may still be cool, the action on the courts is heating up with both the ATP and WTA’s return to the Hard Rock Stadium.

Coverage will continue on Tennis Channel, with streaming on Tennis Channel Plus and Tennis TV. You can check out the full guide below! Enjoy the tennis !

by JazzNU Miami Open used to be covered by ESPN. On the one hand, it's good to know where you're going to see tennis every week, but on the other hand, it would be nice for there to be more interest in tennis as an appealing property for other channels and streaming services. Especially since Sinclair is struggling mightily right now.

by ti-amie 2023 Week 14
Back to the Clay

Tennis Watchers

After a month in the sunshine, the tours hit the road once again and begin the transition to the clay season. This week the WTA will head to Charleston and Bogota, while the ATP will be in Houston, Marrakech, and Estoril.

Coverage will look similar with Tennis Channel/Tennis Channel Plus and TennisTV doing the heavy lifting, but Houston will be available on ESPN Plus.

Tennis Watchers will be onsite in Charleston this week, so keep a look out for some photos from the grounds! Enjoy the tennis

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:53 pm
Houston will be available on ESPN Plus.
Surprising, but very nice.

by ti-amie 2023 Week 15
The Full Monte

Tennis Watchers

Welcome to Week 15, Tennis Watchers! We head over to Europe for the ATP 1000 level event in Monte Carlo. In addition, Billie Jean King Cup qualifiers will kick off next weekend. Coverage for this week continues to be on Tennis Channel and TC Plus/Tennis TV.

You can check out the full guide, with links below. Hope you enjoy the tennis this week!

by ti-amie 2023 Week 16
In our Porsche Era

TENNIS WATCHERS
APR 16, 2023

Welcome to week 16 of the 2023 season, and we are knee deep in the red clay now! Both tours have moved over to the European red clay with the WTA kicking off the perennial indoor favorite tournament in Stuttgart. The ATP will be returning to Barcelona and Munich, and will be in Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina for the first time for the Srpska Open ( this event takes the place of the prior 250 in Belgrade).

Coverage will look familiar for us, with Tennis Channel airing all four tournaments, with TC Plus and TennisTV streaming. Stuttgart also has streaming page on its website where you can stream practice courts. You can check out the full guides below. In addition, check out the special edition of the newsletter with some photos from live tennis watching at the Credit One Charleston Open last week!

by ti-amie 2023 Week 17-18
Magic in Madrid

TENNIS WATCHERS
APR 23, 2023

We head to Madrid this week, for the 1000 level ATP/WTA Mutua Madrid Open. Action will kick of Tuesday, with WTA matches and it will be a two-week event. Tennis Channel will be our home for action with TC Plus and Tennis TV streaming matches as well. You can check out the full guide below and enjoy the tennis!

Be sure to also check out our post and photos from the Credit One Charleston Open here as well, and feedback on the Tuned Into Tennis Podcast!

by ti-amie 2023 Week 19-20
Going back to back to back to back

TENNIS WATCHERS
MAY 7, 2023

A new week, a new two week master 1000s event! Rome will kick off this week, debuting its two week schedule this year. Coverage will look similar to past weeks with Tennis Channel airing first to last ball coverage, with TC Plus and Tennis TV streaming the event. Check out the full guide, with links below.

In broadcasting news, it was announced earlier this month that Tennis Channel will be returning to YouTube TV. As many remember, Tennis Channel was abruptly removed from YouTube TV a few years ago, so subscribers will be pleased to see it return to the service!

by ti-amie 2023 Week 21
You wanna win RG? You gotta qualify.....
TENNIS WATCHERS
MAY 21

Whew! After nearly 4 weeks of back to back 1000 level events we find ourselves one week out from the second major of the year. This means lots of events going on this week as players look to fine tune their games heading into Paris. The ATP will be in Geneva and Lyon this week, with the WTA in Rabat and Strasbourg. In addition, we have the Roland Garros Qualifying event kicking off as well. Lets hope the weather doesn’t cause the problems we say the last few weeks as we have lots of matches to catch this week!

Coverage will continue to be primarily on Tennis Channel with TC Plus and Tennis TV streaming. A quick reminder as we head into Roland Garros, coverage has historically been a bit jumpy between NBC, Tennis Channel, and now streaming on Peacock. Last year, we did have time slots where live matches were only on Peacock plus which is 5 dollars a month. If interested, sign up early to avoid any last minute hassle.

by ti-amie 2023 Week 24
From kicking dirt to mowing the grass

TENNIS WATCHERS
JUN 11, 2023

After two weeks in Paris, we’ve officially crowned some new slam champs for 2023! When it comes to tennis though, we know the calendar keeps moving, so its time to take down those “No Mow May” signs because are headed to grass season. We’ve got three events on tap this week, with the ATP headed to Stuttgart, the WTA to Nottingham, and a joint event in s’Hertogenbosch.

Coverage will (thankfully) get simpler once again with Tennis Channel taking over full time coverage this week, with TC Plus and Tennis TV streaming. As a reminder for YouTube TV subscribers, Tennis Channel did return to its lineup on 6/1, but does require the Sports plus add on package for $10.99/month.

Check out the full guide below and enjoy the tennis!

by ti-amie 2023 Week 26
Bourne ready for week 26
TENNIS WATCHERS
JUN 25

Hopefully you’ve gotten the clay washed out of your tennis kits because we are a week away from those Wimbledon whites fresh and clean! In addition to three tour events, qualifying for the years third major also kicks off this week.

The ATP will be in Mallorca, the WTA in Bad Homburg and there is a joint event in Eastbourne. Coverage for all three will be on tennis channel through next Saturday and then we get a day of rest before Wimbledon kicks off early Monday morning! If you are looking to catch the qualifying tournament, you’ll need to sign up for the ESPN + subscription as ESPN will cover all of Wimbledon first to last ball once again this year.

by ti-amie 2023 Week 30
The Dirty 30

TENNIS WATCHERS
JUL 23, 2023
The heat is on with another sun up to sun down tennis week on tap! We have five tournaments on the schedule across the globe. Early morning action will kick off with the joint ATP/WTA Hamburg event and WTA tournaments in Lausanne and Warsaw. The ATP Umag event will be ongoing into early afternoon, and Atlanta will have live tennis into the night.

Coverage will be on Tennis Channel once again, with the Tennis One app also streaming Atlanta matches. You can check out the full guide below!

by ti-amie 2023 Week 31
Summer in the Tennis City
TENNIS WATCHERS
JUL 30

The heat is on and so is the tennis schedule this week! Live tennis will be starting early morning with the events in Kitzbühel (ATP) and Prague (WTA), then matches at the combined tournament in Washington DC will start mid day, and the ATP event in Los Cabos will carry us through the night shift. It will be a fast paced, but exciting week on the tour.

Coverage will continue on Tennis Channel, with our usual streaming partners in TC Plus and Tennis TV. Tennis Channel will be onsite at Washington DC so look for those matches to get priority on its main channel.

Crank the air conditioning, grab some snacks, and enjoy the tennis this week!

by ti-amie 2023 Week 37
Coming in hotter than NYC

TENNIS WATCHERS
SEP 10, 2023

As we close the book on another slam season, the tours are ready to hit the ground running with both tour and Davis Cup events this week! The WTA will jump right back with a 500 event in San Diego and a 250 in Osaka. Davis Cup group play will kick off Tuesday this week.

Coverage flips back to Tennis Channel this week as well, with TC Plus streaming. Keep in mind as we start to cross time zones, the mid week coverage blocks will show an early morning start, but matches in San Diego won’t start until 11:30 Pacific time (mid afternoon EST).

by ti-amie 2023 Week 38
Pumpkin Spiced Tennis Season
TENNIS WATCHERS
SEP 17

It is a busy week back on the tours with five events on tap this week. The WTA has already kicked off the week with the 1000 level event in Guadalajara, and Guangzhou will kick off early morning Monday. The ATP also returns to the tour this week with a duo of 250 events in Chengdu and Zhuhai. Next weekend will also mark the 2023 Laver Cup event in Vancouver.

Tennis Channel will be the home for all the action once again this week. In addition to the tour events, the UTS Showdown league will also air on Tennis Channel. With events across the globe, coverage blocks will start early morning, and have some replays throughout the day, before live action startings once again in the afternoon. You can check out the full guide below!

by ti-amie 2023 Week 40
A 1000 Level Daily Double

TENNIS WATCHERS
OCT 1, 2023

Another week, another 1000 level event. This week both the WTA and ATP wrap up action in Beijing and the ATP will begin play in Shanghai mid week.

Coverage will once again be on Tennis Channel, with coverage blocks beginning around midnight EST. Replays will air mid morning through the evening hours as well so plenty of time to catch up on match play if you need some shut eye!

by ti-amie 2023 Week 41
Cozy Season Tennis
TENNIS WATCHERS
OCT 8

We are officially in late night tennis mode for the next few weeks! With our abprut transition to fall like weather for many of us, it will be perfect weather to curl up and catch some tennis too! Live matches will typically be kicking off around 11:00pm EST, and will go all through the night. This week we will be in week 2 of the ATP 1000 event in Shanghai, with the WTA setting up shop in Seoul, Hong Kong, and Zhengzhou.

Coverage will be on Tennis Channel, with TC Plus and Tennis TV continuing to stream. One coverage note: Hong Kong does not appear on Tennis Channel guide after the Quarterfinals, although it is likely an error, but keep an eye on your live guides in case anything pops up!

by ti-amie 2023 Week 44
The Final(s) Countdown

TENNIS WATCHERS
OCT 28

This week kicks off the first of the tours finals events with the WTA Finals kicking off in Cancun on Sunday! In addition, we’ve got the ATP 1000 level event in Paris starting Monday. Given the time zone differences, we will be treated to live tennis all day.

Tennis Channel will continue to be the home for matches on TV with TC Plus and Tennis TV keeping on top of streaming. You can check out the full guide below.

So fill those candy bowls, leave them at the front door, and enjoy some tennis!

Happy Halloween Tennis Watches!

by ti-amie

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:39 am
I have to admit, I'm Kyurious.