Junior Girls' Singles • Round 1
W. Sonobe vs S. Ahlawat
Junior Girls' Singles • Round 1
S. Tsujioka WC vs L. Morreale Q
Junior Boys' Doubles • Round 1
A. Karahan/R. Sakamoto vs Y. Nandal/G. Zgola
Junior Girls' Doubles • Round 1
M. El Allami/A. Paradisi vs A. Grechkina/D. Suvirdjonkova

by ponchi101 A very strange match. Rybakina one break up, but there is no rhythm. Rybakina is a modern version of Mary Pierce: just hit. If they land in, fine. If they don't, well, try again.
So far, no rallies longer than 8 strokes.

by JazzNU Rough timing on these women's matches for NFL fans. I now have the match on my computer with the game on the TV to try to keep an eye on both.

If anyone has been watching the whole match. Have both been playing well, but Rybakina a bit better? Or is Lena clearly better player so far?

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:21 am A very strange match. Rybakina one break up, but there is no rhythm. Rybakina is a modern version of Mary Pierce: just hit. If they land in, fine. If they don't, well, try again.
So far, no rallies longer than 8 strokes.
I was writing as you posted. This mostly answers my question. Interesting about the no rhythm. I tend to think Iga's matches have that, but it is definitely true Lena's matches may not.

Also, very nice that you're watching! Is it because there are no men's matches right now or are they doing better with showing women's matches there?

by ti-amie
JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:23 am Rough timing on these women's matches for NFL fans. I now have the match on my computer with the game on the TV to try to keep an eye on both.

If anyone has been watching the whole match. Have both been playing well, but Rybakina a bit better? Or is Lena clearly better player so far?
The NFL is on the TV. The match is on the tablet.

by ti-amie Rybakina is not letting Iga "settle" and that is what you have to do to defeat Iga.

by Fastbackss The NFL game is no longer worth following.
I follow on Twitter that Swiatek is getting worked by Rybakina , but I wouldn't know that since ESPN is required by law to show all of Gauff matches

by ponchi101 @ JazzNu. They are showing a few more WTA matches lately. And I am doing the opposite of you: I switch to the NFL game while the Aussie is on commercials.
I am split between watching WTA and ATP. This match, for example, is more compelling to me than Rublev/Rune. Tsitispas/Sinner will be more compelling than a few WTA. It depends on the players.
And I do like Rybakina. Not to the point that I like Aryna, Belinda, but her game is enjoyable to me.
Plus, as we said. I am not particularly a fan of extroverted players, so she is like my poster child right now. I don't mind her robot-iness. ;)

by ponchi101
Fastbackss wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:28 am The NFL game is no longer worth following.
I follow on Twitter that Swiatek is getting worked by Rybakina , but I wouldn't know that since ESPN is required by law to show all of Gauff matches
Since I am the sole Ostapenko picker today, and my doom is imminent, I am sticking with Iga/Elena. Delaying my walk to the Back of the Bourke bar.

by Fastbackss Ponchi - at least you have a choice.
(Well I would have a choice if I paid extra for espn+)

by atlpam Iga got off to a rough start - got called for some type of violation prior to the start of the match. She seems to be righting the ship in the second set.

by JazzNU
Fastbackss wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:28 am The NFL game is no longer worth following.
Lies. I can't remember what team it is you're a fan of, but you live in Michigan so I'll go with that. Are you telling me you'd say that if the Lions were up 28-0? Or if Michigan was up 28-0 on Ohio State? But also, that's what we all thought about the Jags and Chargers at the half too. Not thinking we're getitng a repeat, but given the comebacks of the Jags and the Dolphins last week, a big lead is not what it used to be.

by JazzNU
atlpam wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:43 am Iga got off to a rough start - got called for some type of violation prior to the start of the match. She seems to be righting the ship in the second set.
Wait. Prior to the START of the match? I'll check Twitter for more information. That is very rare.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie
JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:47 am
atlpam wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:43 am Iga got off to a rough start - got called for some type of violation prior to the start of the match. She seems to be righting the ship in the second set.
Wait. Prior to the START of the match? I'll check Twitter for more information. That is very rare.
I saw her talking to Jenny but thought that it was just something about the towels or the balls.

by atlpam
JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:47 am
They didn’t really say what it was but seemed to be time related between the warm-up and start of play.

by ti-amie Anyway Iga was up 3-0 and Rybakina has fought back to 2-3

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:46 am ...

Lies. I can't remember what team it is you're a fan of, but you live in Michigan so I'll go with that. Are you telling me you'd say that if the Lions were up 28-0? Or if Michigan was up 28-0 on Ohio State? But also, that's what we all thought about the Jags and Chargers at the half too. Not thinking we're getitng a repeat, but given the comebacks of the Jags and the Dolphins last week, a big lead is not what it used to be.
The Lions could be up 48-0 at the half, and you know it is not over. And the Chargers.... are the Chargers.
These are the Eagles. I say: time to pull Hurts out. Let that shoulder rest. ;)
(I'll stick with Iga/Elena).

by Deuce I often wonder why many members of this message board complain about a lack of access to watch tennis matches when there is plenty of free streaming available.
Some of it is 'back door' streaming - but it's there, and very easy to access. Every match you want to watch is available to watch - including Challengers, etc. A quick search for 'tennis streaming' should provide several viable results.

by JazzNU
Fastbackss wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:35 am Ponchi - at least you have a choice.
(Well I would have a choice if I paid extra for espn+)
FWIW, ESPN was willing to do fairly regular check-ins on the other matches that were going on during other American's players matches, sometimes going split screen. So you might be able to see some of the match watching Gauff's match.

I've said this before, but I'll mention it again. I rarely "pay" for ESPN+. I do Google Surveys via their app that adds credits into the Google Play account and that pays for my ESPN+ subscription 3 times a year. This year might be the first year I actually end up actually having to pay for it one month with real money and that's because of the price increase and only that. I have zero idea how it works if you have Apple, but I know there is such as Google Rewards on Apple.

Also, and I know I say this one all the time. If you want to see the match, you don't have to have ESPN+ to do so...

by JazzNU FYI, Iga's code violation to start the match

by atlpam Rybakina about to serve for the match.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Wow. That was anti-climatic. In a flash, Rybakina wins 4 straight games and wins the match.
Rybakina is freaking ecstatic. She raised BOTH her eyebrows after the win.
(I am being a jerk. I like her demeanor).

by ti-amie

by texasniteowl well. wow. We all know Rybakina has game. But her post-Wimbledon performance was uneven. This was an impressive win. Very straightforward.

by nelslus "GOAT" Swiatek loses. Not at all surprised. She's looked skittish this whole tournament. And, when your opponent last match beat you 2 & 2....

Meanwhile, start preparing to polish your imaginary Aussie Open trophy, Ponchi. :bang:

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:51 am

The Lions could be up 48-0 at the half, and you know it is not over. And the Chargers.... are the Chargers.
So, I'm going to assume you don't know a ton of Eagles fans. I'm not a real Eagles fan, but have been around them for years. They are always thinking it could all end the way it did for the Chargers. Always. They will be waiting until very late in this game to breathe a sigh of relief and only if they have more than a one-score lead deep in the 4th quarter.

by ponchi101
nelslus wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:16 am "GOAT" Swiatek loses. Not at all surprised. She's looked skittish this whole tournament. And, when your appointment last match beat you 2 & 2....

Meanwhile, start preparing to polish your imaginary Aussie Open trophy, Ponchi. :bang:
Oh, no!!!! Mister. You are not going to jinx me just like that. NOOOO!
YOU start preparing your imaginary trophy, together with 15 more people that are much better at this than I am. YOU WILL WIN! It is in the stars!!!!
REST ASSURED YOU WILL BE BATHED IN GOLD!
(Was that over the top? I can't tell... :shock: :? )

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:23 am
nelslus wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:16 am "GOAT" Swiatek loses. Not at all surprised. She's looked skittish this whole tournament. And, when your appointment last match beat you 2 & 2....

Oh, no!!!! Mister. You are not going to jinx me just like that. NOOOO!
YOU start preparing your imaginary trophy, together with 15 more people that are much better at this than I am. YOU WILL WIN! It is in the stars!!!!
REST ASSURED YOU WILL BE BATHED IN GOLD!
(Was that over the top? I can't tell... :shock: :? )
....PFFFFFFFTTTTTTTT.

All I know is, IF Coco loses to this ill-dressed little butterball.... :gorgeous:

by atlpam I need Coco to win so I don’t have to witness Ostapenko’s kit again. Ostapenko is firing on all cylinders today.

by JazzNU Swiatek vs. Rybakina went much the way I thought it would. Lena has looked very good this week. I figured that Danielle Collins would be a more challenging match, and though it was, Danielle was definitely a bit off in her match, so it wasn't the challenge I expected it to be.

As for a tough draw. Eh. If she's the champion they've been promoting her to be the last year, she should be able to get through the toughest draws and come out with the trophy. That's part of the deal if you want to be considered one of the greats.

by nelslus
JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:21 am
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:51 am

So, I'm going to assume you don't know a ton of Eagles fans. I'm not a real Eagles fan, but have been around them for years. They are always thinking it could all end the way it did for the Chargers. Always. They will be waiting until very late in this game to breathe a sigh of relief and only if they have more than a one-score lead deep in the 4th quarter.
YES, YES, boys, we all know now how MACHO!!!!! you all are. :gorgeous:

Now, back to Ostapenko's latest Shrek ensemble....

by nelslus
atlpam wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:27 am I need Coco to win so I don’t have to witness Ostapenko’s kit again. Ostapenko is firing on all cylinders today.
PLUS, the little Satan doll last lost to Kalinskaya 3 & 4, and Begu 3 & 0. Just STOP it, you shrinky little gargoyle!!

AND, grow up FAST, 18 year old Gauf!!

by JazzNU
nelslus wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:28 am

Boys?!?

by nelslus
JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:33 am
nelslus wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:28 am

Boys?!?
Ummmmm....

YES, YES, girls, we all know now how MACHO!!!!! you all are. :gorgeous:

by JazzNU
atlpam wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:27 am I need Coco to win so I don’t have to witness Ostapenko’s kit again. Ostapenko is firing on all cylinders today.
As ugly as Ostapenko's kit is, I'm probably more disturbed by the rest of what she's got on. And is tailoring not a thing in Latvia? The fit is next level tragic.

by Deuce Up to now, the ill-dressed Ostapenko has been the better player over the well-dressed Gauff.
I suppose that goes to show once again that substance matters, and style doesn't matter at all.

by atlpam Ostapenko looking like she did when she blasted her way to the French Open title.

by jazzyg Gauff has not had one significant win since Roland Garros. Not one, yet people were falling all over themselves talking about her as a threat to win the Australian Open.

Nothing about this match should have been surprising. Gauff played very well in winning the lead-up tournament and in her first three matches here, but she was never under pressure, and it easy to play with confidence when your opponent cannot beat you. Her forehand still breaks down under pressure. Plus, Ostapenko can beat anyone when she's hitting on all cylinders--including players considerably better than Gauff is now.

by nelslus
atlpam wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:47 am Ostapenko looking like she did when she blasted her way to the French Open title.
EVEN more than most, you never know what you're gonna get with Ostapenko. Obviously, she can be an excellent big match player- except for, way more often as of late, when she's not.

Of course, Ostapenko can be a hellish opponent the first time you are playing her. And, at 18, Coco has the "she's still very, very young" excuse for the next five years or so.

by Deuce What Khachanov is doing to Nishioka right now is downright cruel.
And it just keeps snowballing...
Nishioka can't even win a point, let alone a game...

by JazzNU
atlpam wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:47 am Ostapenko looking like she did when she blasted her way to the French Open title.
Yes, also the way she looked for about 3-4 weeks about 11 months ago at the big hard court tournaments following the Aussie Open.

by texasniteowl So is Nishioka injured or what? I haven't seen any of it but good grief, the scoreline!

by JazzNU Serious question because I just have never seen any information on it.

What happened with Khachanov? Was looking like he'd be a perennial top 15 player in 2018 when he really showed he could go toe to toe with top players. Then just fell off, started coming back into form a bit in 2021 and then considerably more so in 2022. Now looking all the way back. He became the also ran Russian player, falling behind even Karatsev in relevance for a bit (who I've always been suspicious about).

He's not old. He's been playing, so not injured. Unless he was maybe playing though an injury? It's just strange how much he was in the conversation for a bit and then was decidedly not, and is now looking like the player that had everyone thinking he'd be a contender back in 2018. Like Kasatkina certainly went through something like that, but that's been explained. But I haven't heard anything about Karen maybe struggling with being on tour or confidence. Anyone heard anything?

by nelslus I would be in Tennis Heaven if Khachanov could find a way to lose this match with a 6-0, 6-0, 2-0 lead. (Not gonna happen, but I can dream.) (Albeit Khachanov is seriously :gorgeous: )

by Deuce
texasniteowl wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:44 am So is Nishioka injured or what? I haven't seen any of it but good grief, the scoreline!
No injury... It just snowballed out of control - to the point where Nishioka won only 2 points in the entire 2nd set.
It's a terrible feeling when you can't show the crowd what you're capable of doing - even in a loss.
Nishioka went off court after that, where someone may have told him to forget the score and just go out and play like it's 0-0. The result is that it's now 3-3 in the 3rd.
Needless to say, the crowd is behind Nishioka.

The one-sidedness seems to have been transferred over to the Korda - Hurkacz match now, with Korda leading 4-0 in the 3rd (1 set all).

by nelslus Random but True comment: We'd been watching, on-and-off, the Rinderknech/Bonzi win vs. Behar/Barrientos. It was a solid and mostly excellent match throughout- until the last few games of the 3rd set (before the blow-out 3rd set tiebreaker), when it became an outstanding match, with all playing superbly. After one unbelievable point, they got a well-deserved standing ovation. So much fun.

And, we do have ESPN Plus (I believe it's still locked in to a lower price, as we've had this for some time) and Tennis Channel Plus. I do very much resent all of this, especially for those who cannot afford all of these extra costs. But, John and I are tennis whores, after all.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:56 am Serious question because I just have never seen any information on it.

What happened with Khachanov? Was looking like he'd be a perennial top 15 player in 2018 when he really showed he could go toe to toe with top players. Then just fell off, started coming back into form a bit in 2021 and then considerably more so in 2022. Now looking all the way back. He became the also ran Russian player, falling behind even Karatsev in relevance for a bit (who I've always been suspicious about).

He's not old. He's been playing, so not injured. Unless he was maybe playing though an injury? It's just strange how much he was in the conversation for a bit and then was decidedly not, and is now looking like the player that had everyone thinking he'd be a contender back in 2018. Like Kasatkina certainly went through something like that, but that's been explained. But I haven't heard anything about Karen maybe struggling with being on tour or confidence. Anyone heard anything?
I have no explanation and have not heard about any issues. But I am always suspect of players with such extreme grips. One tiny change in timing, one small change in the impact point and you game can change by a lot. So, did he lose some accuracy on his forehand? I can't tell, but maybe the numbers could tell.
But, as you say. He did not fulfill that early expectation. Then again, he is still in the conversation and is not too old.

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:07 am
JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:56 am Serious question because I just have never seen any information on it.

I have no explanation and have not heard about any issues. But I am always suspect of players with such extreme grips. One tiny change in timing, one small change in the impact point and you game can change by a lot. So, did he lose some accuracy on his forehand? I can't tell, but maybe the numbers could tell.
But, as you say. He did not fulfill that early expectation. Then again, he is still in the conversation and is not too old.
AND, he's got an Olympics silver medal, which is nothing to be sneezed at. It's weird. He is drop-dead gorgeous, and I have nothing inherently against his game- I guess. But, I've never found him even remotely interesting enough to be curious about him regardless of where he is in his career. He's just a blah to me.

by Deuce Nishioka is trying to become the first player in the open era to win the 3rd set after losing the first two sets 6-0, 6-0.
That's surprising.
Entering the 3rd set tiebreak now... for a chance to make history...

by Deuce No history made - Khachanov won the tiebreak - and the match...
But Nishioka showed a lot of guts by coming back after barely winning a point in the first two sets to take the third to a tiebreak.
It would have bean easy for Nishioka to just go through the motions in the third - it wasn't just that he was down 2 sets to love, but it was absolute dominance - Khachanov was playing great, and Nishioka couldn't make a shot - the mountain to climb was huge. But he dug in and came back to play really well in the third, earning everyone's respect in the process.

by JazzNU
nelslus wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:07 am
And, we do have ESPN Plus (I believe it's still locked in to a lower price, as we've had this for some time) and Tennis Channel Plus. I do very much resent all of this, especially for those who cannot afford all of these extra costs. But, John and I are tennis whores, after all.
Though it sounds like it doesn't matter, hopefully that's the case, there is no grandfathered in lower price for ESPN+ standalone unfortunately. If you pay yearly, then that's locked in until the next renewal date, but that's it. The Hulu/Disney/ESPN bundle is the only way to keep the price of ESPN+ technically lower.

by ashkor87 i am watching on SonyLiv - shows every court! take your pick!

by nelslus
JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:05 am
nelslus wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:07 am
Though it sounds like it doesn't matter, hopefully that's the case, there is no grandfathered in lower price for ESPN+ standalone unfortunately. If you pay yearly, then that's locked in until the next renewal date, but that's it. The Hulu/Disney/ESPN bundle is the only way to keep the price of ESPN+ technically lower.
AH, you are right. Just looked it up in my AmExp payments account- and it did go up in price. I must have been thinking of another service that I do believe has been Grandfather'd in payment-wise.

FINE, I AM a full-price ESPN-Plus whore customer. :o

by JazzNU Am I the only one yelling at the screen for Radek to sit his ugly ass down?

by nelslus
JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:53 am Am I the only one yelling at the screen for Radek to sit his ugly ass down?
We should have warned you. Avert your eyes immediately, or douse your eyes in holy water. :gorgeous:

by nelslus AND, Korda managed somehow to, barely, crawl his way to that win. Sometimes, you just gotta win ugly. (*Not necessarily another Radek reference.)

by nelslus LOL, and OMG, how tennis fortunes can change on a dime!! On Thursday, I posted about how Bethanie and Leylah were up 7-6, 4-0, with multiple opportunities to get to 5-0, but Haddad Maia and Zhang managed to win it in three. Very next match- third set, I believe that Haddad Maia and Zhang were up 5-1 in the third. Chances to win numerous games, including in the third set tiebreaker, where they had match points- and this time, Vondroušová (who could barely walk after yesterday's singles loss) and Kolodziejová (I agree- who?!?!) manage to win this damned thing, 3-6, 7-6 (11-9), 7-6 (14-12.) :freaking:

by Deuce Lehecka just took Felix out in 4 - including the last two in tiebreaks.

by nelslus AND now Lehecka takes out He-Had-It-Coming Felix in 4. Well done. The Youth Brigade is Coming for You All. (Until Novax and other Elders extinguish their flames.)

by Suliso FAA should really be doing better than this at this stage of his career. First time I watched Lehecka play...

by skatingfan
Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:02 am FAA should really be doing better than this at this stage of his career. First time I watched Lehecka play...
Watching Felix today it seems that his game has become all about serving. Once the return was in play he couldn't construct a point, and Lehecka was aggressive, had better court positioning, and finished well at the net.

by skatingfan Interesting that Sinner has progressed enough that Nike is not making him wear the typical kit that the average Nike player is wearing at this tournament

by Deuce I doubt that's how those decisions are made.
You'd think they'd want any player who's doing well to advertize their 'latest stuff'.
It likely has to do with marketing different things to different parts of the world.
And/or wanting certain players to market certain products.
And/or some players simply refusing to wear certain things (intelligent players would have such a clause in their contract).
Korda (who wasn't even in the top 30 heading into the Aussie Open) is another 'Nike' player in Melbourne who has been wearing basic, one colour shirts and shorts like Sinner...

by Suliso If Stefanos manages to not reach the final from this position then his future is dim indeed

by patrick The Netflix Curse has been completed as Lehecka won earlier today. Knew Auger-Aliassime would struggle as he did well in indoors to end 2022.

by texasniteowl
Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:46 am If Stefanos manages to not reach the final from this position then his future is dim indeed
And you were saying? I can't see it because I'm not paying for yet another subscription to something right now and I haven't looked into alternatives, but...Tsitsipas lost the 3rd and is down a break in the 4th.

by Deuce
Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:46 am If Stefanos manages to not reach the final from this position then his future is dim indeed
I don't think that's a fair thing to say. (It's not mean - just not fair - and I don't particularly like Tsitsipas.)
I admittedly did not see the first two sets of this match - but the scores seem close enough to indicate it was not dominance from Tsitsipas.

A) He is facing a quality opponent...
B) Many players have come back to win from two sets to love down (including an 'old' guy with an artificial hip just a few nights ago)...
C) Momentum is an unpredictable and very powerful element. It can switch from one player to another very, very quickly. And back again. And back again. And back again (that's the main reason Murray - Kokkinakis was such a great match - because the momentum kept switching from one player to the other so often, right to the last point)...

Right now, the momentum is with Sinner (4-2 in the3rd4th). But it could switch back to Tsitsipas at any moment.
Or it could remain with Sinner through to his victory.
Anything can happen in any match - particularly in matches between two players of a similar quality.

by Suliso Yes, you're right now. I was writing it at 2-0... Anyway I was also referring to the relatively weak competition left on his side of the draw. Emphasis on relatively!

by Deuce
Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:49 am Yes, you're right now. I was writing it at 2-0... Anyway I was also referring to the relatively weak competition left on his side of the draw. Emphasis on relatively!
When I saw that it was 2 sets to love, I was thinking the same thing as what I wrote.
When both players are similarly talented, a comeback from 2 sets to love is not uncommon, as the momentum can shift unpredictably, often, and strongly.

by Deuce Zhu finally grabbed the 1st set over Azarenka. She had several opportunities to take control of it, but faltered each time, thus ending up in a 6-4 score, which is closer than it should have been.
Azarenka up 3-0 in the 2nd now...

I'd like to see Zhu win, because she was genuinely very appreciative of being in the position she is in - crying after her last match as she thanked her 'team' for sticking with her and pushing her to be a better player.

The TV broadcasts come up with a lot of stupid and silly statistics (which are designed to make them look 'smart' or 'innovative') - but there is none more stupid and thoroughly useless than the 'win predictor'.
It's lunacy. This isn't 'artificial intelligence', it's artificial LACK of intelligence. You could get a 6 year old child to do the same (for a lot cheaper, I'm sure).
And they do it several times per match - at the beginning, and after each set.
Complete stupidity.

by Fastbackss
JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:46 am
LOL

I do live in Michigan, but my allegiance is to the Giants.

Yes, it's particularly painful losing to the Eagles and their maniacal fans.

With that preface, the game just wasn't even close. It was unwatchable. I would have kept watching if the G-men were down 2 or 3 scores if they had any life in them at all.

by Deuce Azarenka won the 2nd set 6-1. But, as the announcers said, it was closer than the score indicates, as almost every game went to deuce.

We'll see if the momentum switches back to Zhu at some point. She won her last service game at love to make it 1-5, which was her essentially sending a message to Azarenka that she will be going for it in the 3rd set.

At one point during one of Zhu's service games, Laura Robson (who is commentating) said that if Zhu were in the top 50, she'd have the second slowest 2nd serve of all the players in the top 50...
Then she said she was going to go through the rankings to see if she can guess who has the slowest 2nd serve of the players in the top 50. I immediately thought to myself "No need to look - it's Kasatkina".

A minute or so later, Robson returned, saying 'Well, my guess was Trevisan, but that's wrong - it's Kasatkina."
I had no doubt it was Kasatkina. I have seen Kasatkina serve very well on the practice courts. There, she serves 1st and 2nd serves at normal speed (and they land in the service box). But in a match, she gets nervous and her muscles and joints tense up. It's strictly a lack of confidence, as the difference between her practice court serves and her match serves is huge.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:02 am FAA should really be doing better than this at this stage of his career. First time I watched Lehecka play...
Him, Sinner and Rublev remind me of Delpo. Fantastic strikers of the ball, able to rip them with pace and speed, and hitting them always the same. And at this level, it won't work. Delpo had that problem with Novak. He was ripping the ball, but since it was always the same ball, Novak quickly adjusted.
Sinner, FAA and Rublev hit the same perfect forehand all the time. And it lands straight into the opponents' strike zone. They need to add some variety.

by nelslus
Mr. Tsitsipas wishes to inform you that you are officially off his Christmas card list. (And, to- well, you know, keep his name out of your....etc., etc.) :gorgeous:

by skatingfan
nelslus wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:05 pm Mr. Tsitsipas wishes to inform you that you are officially off his Christmas card list. (And, to- well, you know, keep his name out of your....etc., etc.) :gorgeous:
It feels likely that Tsitsipas will win a major at some point, but if there were ever a player that I would hope would not live up to the expectations it would be him, though Rune is giving him a run for his money in that category. Rune is only 19 though, so I'm giving him time to grow out of his obnoxious stage.

by JazzNU
FAA should be doing better (so should Shapovolov for that matter), so not trying to excuse him not progressing further. But Lehecka was part of Next Gen last season and was the runner up, all signs are pointing to this loss not seeming as bad in a couple of years. He's just one that seemed to have risen pretty rapidly and without much attention on him. In SP, I noticed people picking against him to their peril and I have to assume that they did so not knowing he was a rising Next Gen player that could be dangerous and thought he was more like a Qualifier they hadn't heard of.

He beat Zverev a couple of weeks ago, now beaten Coric, Norrie, and FAA. Zverev could've seemed like a fluke with his returning from a bad injury, but this week suggests it is not.

by JazzNU

by JazzNU ^^ Funny when you think about who was campaigning for the rule change the loudest at embarrassing levels. It's a shame Sinner couldn't complete that comeback just for this alone.

by ponchi101 What was the rule change they are talking about? I am missing something.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:37 pm What was the rule change they are talking about? I am missing something.
Coaching from the stands. Sinner apparently got coached steadily throughout his comeback. The photo above is them using hand signals to tell Sinner what to do (and it being allowed, not a code violation that was missed).

by JazzNU
skatingfan wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:22 am Interesting that Sinner has progressed enough that Nike is not making him wear the typical kit that the average Nike player is wearing at this tournament
Forgot to come back to this comment earlier. Sinner signed a big deal with Nike last spring. I don't think it was ever confirmed by reputable outlets, but the number that was floated around was $150 million over 10 years.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:37 am
skatingfan wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:22 am Interesting that Sinner has progressed enough that Nike is not making him wear the typical kit that the average Nike player is wearing at this tournament
Forgot to come back to this comment earlier. Sinner signed a big deal with Nike last spring. I don't think it was ever confirmed by reputable outlets, but the number that was floated around was $150 million over 10 years.
It was. That's the deal. I remember because a lot of people, even here, mentioned that those were Federer numbers.
I really like him. But $15MM/year... not for a player with no semis at any slam.

by Deuce This is worth watching...
The kid's growing up.
Honest, straightforward answers... not trying to avoid anything... giving credit to her opponent...
At one point (about the 4 minute mark), she begins to cry, and is offered an escape from the room by the moderator - but instead of accepting it, she quietly declares "No, it's ok - I can continue."
Kind of want to give her a hug and a pat on the back...