New and old members. WELCOME TOPIC

Explaining how the new forum works
Wheels United States of America

Re: New and old members. WELCOME TOPIC

Post by Wheels »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:49 pm Welcome aboard, Wheels. I hope you will enjoy the forum, and that you will stay for long.
Thanks, I tried another tennis forum for awhile and the chat was fine, but there were these two members that were quite bossy and thought they ran the place which they didn't. I wouldn't have had a problem with them if they were staff, but they were not. So I had enough of the bickering and left and joined here. I hope this is a better experience.
Deuce Canada

Re: New and old members. WELCOME TOPIC TO ChatBots

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:08 pm Dear All.
Starting last year, we have had a few "new members" that we have the suspicion are not human. Starting with Cuckoo4Coco, these members have exhibited a peculiar yet distinct pattern: they join the forum, post constantly and then vanish on a given day.
We can't tell if they are some sort of BOT or some experiment regarding AI. Or even, the most mundane explanation, somebody that likes to join presenting different personalities. They all have been female (or pretend to be), but have ranged in age and locations. So far, they have been benign, not posting links leading to malicious sites, although one of them left some code in her last posts.
So. To the person doing this.
Please, stop. We cannot tell, when you apply for membership, whether you are real or not. Your experiment, at the moment, seems pointless, as if what you wanted was to test if you can pass for a human, you have succeeded. So, if you want to join and talk about tennis, welcome. But if we are your testing ground for something else, let me assure you that we are the worst place for that. We are too small, too specialized and not a representative site for larger targets.
Plus, the gig is getting old.

To all real members. Sorry about this, and if you suspect there is some malicious activity, let us know. We will try to control it.
Indeed, it is getting old, and is not at all appreciated.
The pattern is the same, and it's basically impossible that these are real tennis fans (or even real people), as a real, living tennis fan would not be posting at an alarmingly frequent rate, and then stop abruptly.
I, for one, will try to remember to not interact at all with any new member until they have proven themselves as legitimate to my satisfaction.

Ponchi - is there a way that you could create some sort of screening process, whereby you would have to interact with them via E mail or something until they prove that they actually exist as a living, breathing human being?
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I am working on using a RECAPTCHA system, because the security question is not working for this sort of spam.
Will post you all.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:08 pm Dear All.
Starting last year, we have had a few "new members" that we have the suspicion are not human. Starting with Cuckoo4Coco, these members have exhibited a peculiar yet distinct pattern: they join the forum, post constantly and then vanish on a given day.
We can't tell if they are some sort of BOT or some experiment regarding AI. Or even, the most mundane explanation, somebody that likes to join presenting different personalities. They all have been female (or pretend to be), but have ranged in age and locations. So far, they have been benign, not posting links leading to malicious sites, although one of them left some code in her last posts.
If Ainsley is a bot, well done, she seemed to respond to my joke about high school pretty well.

But, I can't lie when I read the posts I thought Cuckoo4Coco was back at first!
:steven:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ptmcmahon wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:49 pm ...

If Ainsley is a bot, well done, she seemed to respond to my joke about high school pretty well.

It seems to be the very same people/person. The personalities are very much the same. Young women, very friendly, non-controversial.
Not that I want a bot that is an absolute pain and rude, but that AI was very convincing.
(If it was an AI. Maybe it was a real person suffering from schizophrenia...)
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Wheels wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:56 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:49 pm Welcome aboard, Wheels. I hope you will enjoy the forum, and that you will stay for long.
Thanks, I tried another tennis forum for awhile and the chat was fine, but there were these two members that were quite bossy and thought they ran the place which they didn't. I wouldn't have had a problem with them if they were staff, but they were not. So I had enough of the bickering and left and joined here. I hope this is a better experience.
Welcome! We bicker sometimes too but I don’t think we are actually mad at each other? :)
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:01 am
ptmcmahon wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:49 pm ...

It seems to be the very same people/person. The personalities are very much the same. Young women, very friendly, non-controversial.
Not that I want a bot that is an absolute pain and rude, but that AI was very convincing.
(If it was an AI. Maybe it was a real person suffering from schizophrenia...)
If you re read all the intro posts they do look pretty similar. Especially the “my favourite players are John Doe and Jane Doe.”

Post by Wheels »

ptmcmahon wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:35 am
Wheels wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:56 pm
Welcome! We bicker sometimes too but I don’t think we are actually mad at each other? :)
People disagree all the time, but at this other forum that wasn't even the problem. It was basically two members who had issues with one another about posting stuff about matches. One member would always bring up older matches involving older players that they compared to the current match and it completely drove the other member crazy. They fought like cats and dogs over this. The administrator of the forum did nothing about it leaving all the other members in the middle. I eventually had enough and left.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ptmcmahon wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:37 am If you re read all the intro posts they do look pretty similar. Especially the “my favourite players are John Doe and Jane Doe.”
Everything very generic, and pleasant to a fault.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Last year I avoided Cuckoo4Coco because it felt like someone older is impersonating a young girl, but with latest developments in AI perhaps indeed they're not even humans.

Will be ever harder in the future to distinguish what is real and what is not. Unless you meet someone in person.

Post by Wheels »

Like I stated to ponchi101, I feel I joined at the wrong time. I am sorry that all of this is going on with AI and BOTS, but because of my timing I feel I am going to be lumped in all of this mess and that is not fair to me at all. Ponchi101 mentioned to me that all these BOTS had posted a lot in a short period of time and then just left. Even though that is not going to be the case in the manner that I post because of my health issues and what I deal with daily, I still feel I am going to be judged wrongly by others here and when I do post there will always be those who put me in that category of being a BOT. I understand where you are all coming from, but this sort of atmosphere is also not fair to myself either. Unfortunately, I think my timing is wrong and finding another more accepting tennis atmosphere that isn't going through this mess is a better option for me. Good Luck taking care of all of this.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

That is a very strange response.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

Suliso wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:23 pm Last year I avoided Cuckoo4Coco because it felt like someone older is impersonating a young girl, but with latest developments in AI perhaps indeed they're not even humans.

Will be ever harder in the future to distinguish what is real and what is not. Unless you meet someone in person.
I knew it- I just knew it all along. Run, those of us who are still humans, RUN!!!!! :gorgeous:

Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
Scoob Canada

Post by Scoob »

New member, old recreational player, enjoys watching tennis. Played high school tennis back in the 80's .
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Welcome Scoob. Hope you will enjoy the forum?
How did you find us? We are pretty small and obscure, so bumping into us is not totally easy :)