'23 US Open 8/28 - 9/10 General Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

'23 US Open 8/28 - 9/10 General Discussion

Post by ti-amie »

I think I'm going to continue what I started for Wimbledon for all the Grand Slams. There will be separate threads for the men's and women's singles draws. The juniors and doubles will continue to have their own thread as will the Qualifying Tournament itself once it gets underway.

I'm kind of working this out as I go along so any suggestions are welcome. :)
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '23 US Open 8/28 - 9/10 General Discussion

Post by ponchi101 »

I like it. So, keep on going :thumbsup:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

The USO is the USO, needs to be thought of separately from the other tournaments on the way.. also, goign by last year, the court may be significantly faster than whet we saw at IW and Miami, and probably faster than Washington, Cincy etc..
so, on the mens side, I would look for Djokovic to be favorite, the slightly faster court and the heat will will favor him over players like Alcaraz.. Medvedev will certainly bounce back, he did better even at W than I expected.. Sinner will also do better than, say, Rublev, certainly better than Zverev at the USO..
On the women's side, I am inclined to think Rybakina really needs a slower court to do well, she looked a bit slow of foot at W, so favorite would be Swiatek again.. followed by Rybakina, Sabalenka, Jabeur and Bencic.. Vondrousova will do better on the slower courts leading up to the USO, I expect, as will Samsonova.. Alexandrova will do well too at the USO. As usual (and I dont expect anyone here to agree with me), I dont expect much from Pegula, Gauff etc at the USO..nor Badosa, Sakkari and all the favorites of last year.. Muchova will be worth looking out for... she could do well, though she was a bit disapponting at W..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Muchova. She took a nasty fall in the second set of her 1R match. Her loss was due to injury, not her form. So, a bit of an unknown quantity there.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:39 pm Muchova. She took a nasty fall in the second set of her 1R match. Her loss was due to injury, not her form. So, a bit of an unknown quantity there.
Albeit, Muchova also had the bad luck of being drawn to play the previous year's Wimbledon quarterfinalist, Jule Niemeier, in R1. The score was 6-4, 5-7, 6-1. Of course, I hope Muchova has fully recovered from her injury.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

July 26, 2023 Tennis News, Tennis Tournaments, US Open Tennis

US Open to use ‘video review technology’ for 2023 tournament

The US Open have announced that they will be utilising video reviews for the tournament this year in a bid to help aid the chair umpires when there are disputes.

Video reviews have previously been used at other tennis events including the Next Gen Finals and the ATP Cup, but have not yet become a mainstay in the sport.

However, it seems that the New York major are looking to take that step with the technology set to be used on five of the courts at this year’s tournament.

The USTA (United States Tennis Association) confirmed that the ‘video review technology will be utilised for all Main Draw matches played on Arthur Ashe Stadium, Louis Armstrong Stadium, Grandstand, Court No.5 and Court No.17’.

The US Open have often been the Grand Slam leader in terms of using technology, with electronic line calling being brought in by the event in 2020 to reduce staff due to Covid-19 restrictions.

This is something that has continued at the final major of the year and has since been brought into use at the Australian Open as well.

On top of that, the ATP announced earlier this year that electronic line calling would be used for all of their events from 2025.

US Open Video Reviews – What are they used for?
So, we know that the technology will be used at the tournament this year, but when will it actually be used?

We, at Tennishead, have got that covered for you:

US Open Video Technology Reviewable calls

Not-up – To check if the ball has bounced more than once prior to contact (more than twice for wheelchair tennis).

Foul shot – When a player carries the ball on their racket, contacts the ball before it crosses the net or the player’s racket touches the ball while not under the control of the player.

Touch – When the ball touches the player or anything he is wearing (except the racket obviously!) or when the player touches the net when the ball is in play.

Invasion – When a player touches his opponent’s part of the court with any part of his body or racket while the ball is in play.

Through – When the ball passes through the net instead of over the net.

Hindrance – For any decision whether a point should be awarded or replayed, most commonly used when a call is corrected from out to in and whether the player had a play on the ball.

Original call stands – When a challenge to a line call has properly been made and the line review system is unable to make a determination, the chair umpire may review the call for clear evidence that confirms or overturns the call on the court.

Foot faults – To check whether a player’s foot has crossed the appropriate lines when serving.

Scoring error – To ensure that the score is as it should be.

We will see the technology used for these rules next month, with the US Open beginning on Monday 28th August.

https://tennishead.net/us-open-to-use-v ... ournament/
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

OFFICIAL DRAWS

Singles
Qualifying: Monday 21 August at 2:00 pm​
Main Draw: Thursday, 24 August at 12:00 pm​

Doubles - entry deadline 12:00 pm, Friday 18 August
Sunday, 27 August at 12:00 pm​

Mixed Doubles - entry deadline 4:00 pm, Monday 28 August
Monday, 28 August at 6:00 pm​
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Kyrgios has pulled out...
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote:I think I'm going to continue what I started for Wimbledon for all the Grand Slams. There will be separate threads for the men's and women's singles draws. The juniors and doubles will continue to have their own thread as will the Qualifying Tournament itself once it gets underway.

I'm kind of working this out as I go along so any suggestions are welcome. :)
Works for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Players in trouble for the USO:
Rublev
Felix
Berrettini
Garcia.

I say they would do well to play next week.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:21 am Players in trouble for the USO:
Rublev
Felix
Berrettini
Garcia.
add Krejcikova Brady and Caro.. they need more matches..
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:00 am
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:21 am Players in trouble for the USO:
Rublev
Felix
Berrettini
Garcia.
add Krejcikova Brady and Caro.. they need more matches..
Svitolina needs to be healthy. I would give her a decent shot if she's healthy.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Brady and Caro are on their way back. A 2R showing will be enough.
The players I listed are highly ranked players that are not playing well at all at the moment. Garcia, for example, just dropped 1000 points (or is it 900) by losing her first match at Cincy. So she has a ton of points to defend.
Matteo is a top player, as are Felix and Rublev. They should not be losing that early, that frequently. Ergo, my statement.
Krejcikova has been very silent, and I don't think even her claims to be, at this moment, any Big number. So, I would say that anything she does is gravy.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Felix actually doesn't have many points to defend at the US Open - he lost 2nd round last year. Garcia dropped 860 points.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

The wild card awards will be a fun subject, as usual.

Isner/venus/Caro predictable. Some of the others not as much