'23 USO Day 13 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
skatingfan Canada

Re: '23 USO Day 13 OoP & Discussion

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:38 pm Serious question. Has there been many non-believers? She has been on the "future slam champ" category for a long time now.
I understand that some people talked about issues with her game (the FH analysis and all that) but is anybody surprised by this result? I may be speaking for myself, and I did say Aryna would win, but the fact that she won a slam surprises me not one bit.
She's a young, successful black woman who is not afraid to articulate a point of view in a social media age. The amount of hate this young woman has received online is completely out of line with the real world.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:38 pm Serious question. Has there been many non-believers? She has been on the "future slam champ" category for a long time now.
I understand that some people talked about issues with her game (the FH analysis and all that) but is anybody surprised by this result? I may be speaking for myself, and I did say Aryna would win, but the fact that she won a slam surprises me not one bit.
I certainly thought she was a year or two away still..
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Gauff-Sabalenka.. another example of 'defense trumps offense' especially, I would add, on a reasonably fast court (it wasn't lightning quick, more like medium, but still enough for a redirected shot to fly through the court) ..and another old adage.. the first game of a middle set is a swing game, ..Sabalenka threw away the break opportunities in the first game of the second set and never got back in front. .
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

There have been many who have doubted Coco. Some in this site- just sayin'. LOVE that the haters (NOT including anyone from TAT here) gave her the fuel that she needed.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by nelslus »

Coco had plenty of points on the offensive- especially starting with the middle of the second set through the third set. IMO- troll edition- this does not at least fully count as "another example of "defense trumps offense".
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I'd bet the haters comment was directed at someone specifically, they know who they are.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

I think my problem is that when she first came on the scene, she was hyped up so much. And yeah, she was obviously good, but still only 15. I just can't usually buy into someone being a future slam champ at that age.

Now, from last year when she made the French final, yeah, future slam champ status achieved even though the loss to Swiatek was pretty lopsided.

Also, given her first round loss as Wimbledon (to Kenin), winning the USO less than 3 months later is a bit of a surprise, outstanding summer or not.

Her defense and movement are astounding. But her offensive groundstrokes I still am not sold on. On faster courts, with opponents who hit harder and deeper, she might not be able to get more balls back.

Then again, she is still only 19 now and will continue to improve. So I do think she will win more.

So am I surprised by this result? Well, yes. and no.

Post by nelslus »

Owendonovan wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:40 am I'd bet the haters comment was directed at someone specifically, they know who they are.
.... Most definitely not just you. :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Have we moved to the stage in which criticizing somebody makes you a hater? No in between?
About social media. I don't count social media as a source of doubt; SM is there simply to degrade and denigrate people. I was thinking more along the lines of commentators and "pundits" that could have said she was never going to get a slam.
Social Media to me does not count. Pink Unicorns that poop marshmallows and fart Channel N°5 could go on SM and some idiots would criticize them.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Tame, for the high standards we have set here for smashing racquets. But nice of her to give it to a fan.
Now, how about an unbroken one?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:51 pm Tame, for the high standards we have set here for smashing racquets. But nice of her to give it to a fan.
Now, how about an unbroken one?
Well, the fan was never going to play with it anyway. So a broken one might be even more valuable!
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:More data points for my "Experience is overrated" theory.
Because a Slam winner and Slam finalist made the final? I think it’s data for the opposite. All four semifinalista were previous Slam finalists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

texasniteowl wrote:
I think my problem is that when she first came on the scene, she was hyped up so much. And yeah, she was obviously good, but still only 15. I just can't usually buy into someone being a future slam champ at that age.

Now, from last year when she made the French final, yeah, future slam champ status achieved even though the loss to Swiatek was pretty lopsided.

Also, given her first round loss as Wimbledon (to Kenin), winning the USO less than 3 months later is a bit of a surprise, outstanding summer or not.

Her defense and movement are astounding. But her offensive groundstrokes I still am not sold on. On faster courts, with opponents who hit harder and deeper, she might not be able to get more balls back.

Then again, she is still only 19 now and will continue to improve. So I do think she will win more.

Agree about Coco’s offense. Nothing that special to me. I hope she keeps developing her net game and plays all-court tennis.

I’m not surprised by Coco. I figured she would win a Slam at some point but not at this tournament. But I’m not surprised. Clearly talented enough and a better player than she was at Wimbledon (where she didn’t play poorly at all - Kenin was fabulous).

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:26 am
texasniteowl wrote:

Agree about Coco’s offense. Nothing that special to me. I hope she keeps developing her net game and plays all-court tennis.

I’m not surprised by Coco. I figured she would win a Slam at some point but not at this tournament. But I’m not surprised. Clearly talented enough and a better player than she was at Wimbledon (where she didn’t play poorly at all - Kenin was fabulous).
Perhaps if you had seen this live, you'd have been more impressed with the great offensive shots that Coco made? And, again- she's 19. At least, for 19, IMO her offense skills are certainly impressive. Albeit, her defensive skills certainly are a bigger strength.