Women's Doubles • Round 1
D. Krawczyk 6/E. Shibahara 6 vs I. Khromacheva/M. Kolodziejova
Men's Doubles • Round 1
A. Goransson/A. Olivetti vs B. Ellis WC/A. Harris WC
T. Babos/A. Bondar vs A. Moratelli/S. Murray Sharan
B. Schoofs/K. Zimmermann vs H. Guo/X. Jiang

by ti-amie At 3 all first set Iga vs Danielle the skies have opened. There was no rain in the forecast.

by ti-amie And the rain is done but they have to dry the court...

by ti-amie Swiatek takes the first set 6-4 over Collins but it was anything but a routine set. Collins had her chances.

by ti-amie Collins served for the set at 5-1. Iga got the break and it's 2-5 but Collins is still working hard. 30 all

by ti-amie José Morgado 🤖
@josemorgado@sportsbots.xyz
No play on the outside courts before 3.15pm...

#
AusOpen

by ti-amie Game 8, second set, 5-2 Collins, remember that no matter what happens with this match. Swiatek takes the game for 3-5. Collins will serve for the set again.

by JTContinental Something is bloomin' on Rod Laver Arena and it's not (just) Danielle "Poopy Pants" Collins' shorts!

by ti-amie Collins and her bloomers took the second set 6-3. Iga usually adjusts her approach during her bathroom breaks. Let's see what she does.

by texasniteowl I saw comments about the pink bloomers on the previous day, but hadn't seen them since I didn't see her match.

Seeing them now.

So bad.

They look awful!

I guess she is buying off the rack? Does she have a clothing sponsor? Because if she does have one, what where they thinking?

by texasniteowl Of course, it's not hurting her play! She just went up a 2nd break in the 3rd over Swiatek.

by ashkor87 Collins choking? Needs to get her first serve jn, Swiatek is feasting on her second serves

by texasniteowl
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:07 am Collins choking? Needs to get her first serve jn, Swiatek is feasting on her second serves
all indications? yes.

from up 4-1 to on serve at 4-5

by meganfernandez
texasniteowl wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:21 am
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:07 am Collins choking? Needs to get her first serve jn, Swiatek is feasting on her second serves
all indications? yes.

Great match, but Iga is vulnerable.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:32 am
texasniteowl wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:21 am
all indications? yes.

Great match, but Iga is vulnerable.
But she showed why she is a champion .she raised her game when she needed to..

by texasniteowl so, who is Lukas Klein and what is he doing to hang with Zverev? 5-5 in the 5th?

by Suliso Swiatek will not win this tournament. My money still on Rybakina.

by ashkor87 Pegula has been unwell..not surprised she lost today . Some GI illness I heard, must be making her weak...

by ashkor87 And my favorite Michelsen won! Beat Lehecka...has a lot of potential...

by ashkor87 Collins has announced she is retiring after this season!

by Suliso Kasatkina and Davidovich Fokika out as well.

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:33 am Kasatkina and Davidovich Fokika out as well.
Kasatkina is not a surprise, she was playing a great player...

by ashkor87 Why did Pegula lose? Is my diagnosis above correct? That she was unwell ..?

by Suliso
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:43 am Kasatkina is not a surprise, she was playing a great player...
Great in the past tense...

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:01 am
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:43 am Kasatkina is not a surprise, she was playing a great player...
a major champion is a major champion.. class is permanent, form is temporary

by Suliso Would you still say that about Murray or Wawrinka? :)

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:16 am Would you still say that about Murray or Wawrinka? :)
Of course yes
In Sloane's case, she is not injured or anything .

by ashkor87 Rybakina's lack of foot speed is really being exposed today.

by Suliso I'm at work so not watching, but clearly Rybakina must be struggling mightily against a nothing special opponent. If not her who else is the favorite from the top half of the draw? So far none have impressed. Maybe Svitolina or Zheng?

by ashkor87
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:34 am Rybakina's lack of foot speed is really being exposed today.
I think her ankle is injured....

by ashkor87 Blinkova reminds me of Bartoli...

by Oploskoffie I've lost count of how many matchpoints Blinkova has not converted. My nerves are also shot by this point (that's from a Month in the Sun perspective)...

by texasniteowl OMG. the point at 18-17 that Blinkova just won.

This has got to end soon, right?

by texasniteowl 22-20. it's over. (and Rybakina is out)

by texasniteowl Crazy matches today! Blinkova d. Rybakina in a 22-20 tiebreak! 3 men's matches that went to 5th set tiebreaks, including Ruud and Zverev!

by martini4me And those two (Ruud and Zverev) were happening concurrently, with ESPN showing them together on split screen.

by texasniteowl
martini4me wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:11 pm And those two (Ruud and Zverev) were happening concurrently, with ESPN showing them together on split screen.
Yes! And the Kecmanovic/Struff match feels like it ended not long after that. But by that point maybe time was playing tricks on us!

by nelslus
Suliso wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:22 am Swiatek will not win this tournament. My money still on Rybakina.
......I mean..... :P

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:01 am
Our standards are sometimes all over the place. 1 slam and 1 slam final do not mean great (to me).
But well, to each his own. I would like to see Sloane come back to elite playing, but I still will need to see it.

by nelslus Random notes:

*I recently at home had started to compare Rybakina to Kvitova. (AND we heard a commentator do the same at the Aussie. But, I SWEAR to y'all- I was first!!!!) LOL, we'll now have to see if, somehow, Rybakina turns out to be a Kvitova Lite. I mean, one would think, at her age, she'll certainly at least pass Kvitova by. HOWEVER, Kvitova DID have 2 Wimbledon titles, a WTA Championship, a boatload of Fed Cup wins, and 31 singles titles. IN any case- I truly hate this loss for Rybakina. Hope I can get off this Rybakina Train if she continues to have these kind of nonsense results.
Nevertheless, just in case....Suliso, if you could PLEASE!!!! keep Rybakina's name out of your thread projected Slam winners..... :notworthy:

*Ostapenko just managed to take out Ally- how sweet an Ally win would have been....they WERE very gracious with each other after the match. Nevertheless- with this result, and Novak & Zverev still alive in the tournament- Beelzebub smiles. :twisted:

^I am TELLING you upcoming tennis player wannabe Big Deals- get yourselves in Chicago tennis tournament draws! Emma losing to Tauson prior to winning her US Open in 2021. Ben Shelton losing to Roman Safiullin in 2022. Alex Michelsen making his mark and WINNING the Chicago tournament in 2023 (which included a 2R win against Aleksandar Kovacevic- who made his mark at this Aussie, and QF against Nishikori). ALWAYS so exciting to see players you see in local tournaments- including scrub tournaments- obtain great successes. (I continue to look at you, Rajeev Ram :yahoo: ).

*You know- Carlos also REALLY could have made a mess of things against Sonego. Gotta think the top players are taking SERIOUS note of these latest losses and barely-scraping-by wins....

by atlpam
martini4me wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:11 pm And those two (Ruud and Zverev) were happening concurrently, with ESPN showing them together on split screen.
Watched the 5th set of Ruud vs Purcell - very entertaining and lots of highlight reel points. Ruud played great to survive that match.

by ptmcmahon
nelslus wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:18 pm
Suliso wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:22 am Swiatek will not win this tournament. My money still on Rybakina.
......I mean..... :P
Suliso still the king of the jinx!

by atlpam Meanwhile, Medvedev and Ruusuvuori are still playing with set 5 about to start.

by meganfernandez
atlpam wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:10 pm Meanwhile, Medvedev and Ruusuvuori are still playing with set 5 about to start.
It's so ridiculous. No sport should be contested at 3, 4 am. Staff, volunteers and some media all have to stay, too. It's inhumane, not just silly.

Ruusuvuori didn't so much as lose as finally fell asleep. 6-0 fifth set.

How did this even happen? There were only 4 matches on Rod Laver today. Did Rybanika-Blinkova go on late?

by meganfernandez Was this epic match-point save from Blinkova at 18-17 in the third-set breaker already posted? I'm catching up from last night.

https://x.com/AustralianOpen/status/174 ... 43024?s=20

by martini4me Yep, some amazing saves by Blinkova on that point.

I haven't looked for a highlight video, but Ruud chased down a drop shot late in the match that had me shouting "No, you did not just do that!" at the TV at about 12:30 this morning.

As for the time:

Swiatek-Collins was 3 hours (and I heard there was a rain delay)
Alcaraz-Sonego was 3 1/2

and they've pushed the start for the day session on the main court to noon, so less flexibility.

And then Rybakina-Blinkova was almost three hours (the final tiebreak was about half an hour).

They keep saying it's the longest tie-break in major history. Am I mis-remembering that there was a 24-22 a few years back? Or was that actual games, before they switched to the fifth-set tie-breaker.

by martini4me The Australian Open posted the entire tie-break on Youtube. If you have a free half-hour (and how could you not have a half hour for this), enjoy.

by jazzyg Wow. I chose the right night to DVR the tennis and not check the results in the morning before watching. One incredible match after the other. The Struff-Kecmanovic and Ruud-Purcell breakers were high quality. The Rybakina-Blinkova breaker was not high quality but was about as high drama as I've ever seen with a few sparkling points mixed in.

I had Rybakina winning the tournament. This opens up the draw for Ostapenko, who will always be inconsistent but is winning the close matches now that she was losing for years. First, she has to beat Azarenka for the first time in her career (0-3 record, but two were very close, including Brisbane two weeks ago), which should happen. Then if she gets past her fourth-round match (nothing is guaranteed with her), she could take her perfect record against Swiatek into the quarterfinal. The second quarter has been decimated, so I would like her chances against anyone in the semis.

To become a contender again, the first thing Ostapenko had to do was get in better shape, and she has done that. Now it is up to her head.

by jazzyg I'm a Sloane Stephens skeptic, but that stat they gave after she beat Kasatkina was one of the most impressive and surprising ones I've heard in a long time. Kasatkina had won 42 consecutive matches when she took the first set. Stephens, whose toughness has been non-existent for years, broke that streak.

I'm not sure what to make of it, but if her fragility and fitness do not get in the way, Stephens should make the quarters at least. The only player who can beat her without any help in her quarter is Zheng.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:44 pm Wow. I chose the right night to DVR the tennis and not check the results in the morning before watching. One incredible match after the other. The Struff-Kecmanovic and Ruud-Purcell breakers were high quality. The Rybakina-Blinkova breaker was not high quality but was about as high drama as I've ever seen with a few sparkling points mixed in.

I had Rybakina winning the tournament. This opens up the draw for Ostapenko, who will always be inconsistent but is winning the close matches now that she was losing for years. First, she has to beat Azarenka for the first time in her career (0-3 record, but two were very close, including Brisbane two weeks ago), which should happen. Then if she gets past her fourth-round match (nothing is guaranteed with her), she could take her perfect record against Swiatek into the quarterfinal. The second quarter has been decimated, so I would like her chances against anyone in the semis.

To become a contender again, the first thing Ostapenko had to do was get in better shape, and she has done that. Now it is up to her head.
You think Ostapenko in better shape? Maybe somewhat. IT doesn't seem to hold her back, but I thikn it does. Pretty much everyone is a bretter player when the are in their best shape.

She said something interesting about these close matches after her win. She said in recent years she wasn't putting enough pressure on her opponents in the big moments. She laughed and said that is sounds funny, but she wasn't aggressive ENOUGH in key moments. And she changed that. I thought that was good insight.

I'd love to see her play Iga again.

by meganfernandez
martini4me wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:59 pm Yep, some amazing saves by Blinkova on that point.

I haven't looked for a highlight video, but Ruud chased down a drop shot late in the match that had me shouting "No, you did not just do that!" at the TV at about 12:30 this morning.

As for the time:

Alcaraz-Sonego was 3 1/2

and they've pushed the start for the day session on the main court to noon, so less flexibility.

And then Rybakina-Blinkova was almost three hours (the final tiebreak was about half an hour).

They keep saying it's the longest tie-break in major history. Am I mis-remembering that there was a 24-22 a few years back? Or was that actual games, before they switched to the fifth-set tie-breaker.
The 24-22 score - you might be thinking of the Anderson-Isner fifth set at 2018 Wimbledon, which was 26-24. Before the super tiebtreak.

by jazzyg
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:52 pm
jazzyg wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:44 pm

You think Ostapenko in better shape? Maybe somewhat. IT doesn't seem to hold her back, but I thikn it does. Pretty much everyone is a bretter player when the are in their best shape.

She said something interesting about these close matches after her win. She said in recent years she wasn't putting enough pressure on her opponents in the big moments. She laughed and said that is sounds funny, but she wasn't aggressive ENOUGH in key moments. And she changed that. I thought that was good insight.

I'd love to see her play Iga again.
Nominally in better shape. The commentators mentioned it in the tourney she just won, and she looked to be moving a little better to me.

by mick1303
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:54 pm
martini4me wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:59 pm Yep, some amazing saves by Blinkova on that point.

As for the time:

Alcaraz-Sonego was 3 1/2

The 24-22 score - you might be thinking of the Anderson-Isner fifth set at 2018 Wimbledon, which was 26-24. Before the super tiebtreak.
Opelka-Isner once played 24-22 TB. But it was not in a slam.

by ti-amie
atlpam wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:10 pm Meanwhile, Medvedev and Ruusuvuori are still playing with set 5 about to start.
I woke up and saw men's tennis playing on the tablet and wondered since when did ESPN broadcast replays on the same stream as live tennis...To say I was floored that that was a live match is an understatement.

by ptmcmahon I tried and couldn't find it on my TV this am.

As bad as those matches are for the players... they're often the only ones I get to see (before I record last round or two that is.)

by ti-amie I don't know how many got to see Iga vs Danielle. That match will keep Collins up at night.

She did everything right: controlled the pace so that Iga couldn't go on one of her sprints, made Iga move in ways she didn't want to, and was fearless...until she went up 4-1 in the third. I know she suffers from rheumatoid arthritis but the problem didn't appear to be physical. She literally stopped doing what she had been doing and was playing just to win two more games not playing the person across the net until the match was over if that makes sense. One of her stats - I'm sorry I forget which one - dropped by 8 points. And once she went into that mental haze all Iga had to do was keep the ball in play and let Danielle make errors.

I see that she announced she's retiring at the end of the season and I wonder if that is just her trying to come to terms with her snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

by atlpam
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:38 pm
It's so ridiculous. No sport should be contested at 3, 4 am. Staff, volunteers and some media all have to stay, too. It's inhumane, not just silly.

Ruusuvuori didn't so much as lose as finally fell asleep. 6-0 fifth set.

How did this even happen? There were only 4 matches on Rod Laver today. Did Rybanika-Blinkova go on late?
The night session got started late as the day session matches didn’t complete until after the night session was supposed to start plus any required break to clear the court for the night ticket holders to enter. Rybakina match was just under 3 hours, so that would result in about 11:30 start for the last match.

by ti-amie There are two players I keep saying I need to be sold on - Sinner and Rybakina. Sinner is determined to make me seem like a malcontent. I saw a bit of Rybakina's match - just a bit before I fell asleep - and as someone said upthread her lack of foot speed was exposed and her repetitive patterns did her no favors either.

Still, she almost won.

by Oploskoffie
ti-amie wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:14 pm I see that she announced she's retiring at the end of the season and I wonder if that is just her trying to come to terms with her snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
If the post-match interview that is on the WTA website is anything to go by, to me anyway, it reads like this was a decision that had been made previously. She, too, wants to do other things, with starting a family apparently pretty high on her list of goals for life after tennis. Still, with an ever increasing amount of players returning after having a child or children, if she does retire this year, who knows. We may see her on court again.

by Fastbackss I put iga - Collins on at the start of the 2nd set.

The first thing I noticed was Danielle swearing up and down in the general direction of her box. It was amazing, I laughed, and she then served out the game.

The second thing was the unfortunate bloomers that had been mentioned here. Brutal

by ponchi101 The only way you will get rid of matches ending at 3 am is if you get rid of B.O. 5 men's matches. The variation in length of time is simply too much. You cam gave a match that is 90 minutes long, or these monster matches that last 5 hours. String two of those in one session, and statistically it will happen now and then, and you get the 3 am finish.

by Suliso You could start a night session at 7 pm and have one men's match only. Two women's night matches on the other big court.

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:17 pm There are two players I keep saying I need to be sold on - Sinner and Rybakina. Sinner is determined to make me seem like a malcontent. I saw a bit of Rybakina's match - just a bit before I fell asleep - and as someone said upthread her lack of foot speed was exposed and her repetitive patterns did her no favors either.

Still, she almost won.
TO be fair- Rybakina has already won a Wimbledon championship. So, in that sense- she's already proven herself.

AND, nevertheless- I hear you. Like I've already said- she could easily become this era's Petra Lite.

AS for Sinner- I just keep thinking that, the odds are, Novak can't play forever (right?!?!?)- who knows if Carlos will be any kind of constant threat....So, one could think that the odds are very much in Sinner's favor.

However....remember when many of us thought that the likes of Zverev and Tsitsipas were certain near future Slam winners?!?!? (AT least Medvedev has his US Open title win).

by nelslus
Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:37 pm You could start a night session at 7 pm and have one men's match only. Two women's night matches on the other big court.
Assuming that, like they do with the US Open- they sell separate day and night session tickets- who's going to buy a center court ticket for one match? Especially when- heck, it could end in a match retirement. Sure- the spectators could then go and see other outside court matches. But, that would be one hard sell.

by nelslus
jazzyg wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:48 pm I'm a Sloane Stephens skeptic, but that stat they gave after she beat Kasatkina was one of the most impressive and surprising ones I've heard in a long time. Kasatkina had won 42 consecutive matches when she took the first set. Stephens, whose toughness has been non-existent for years, broke that streak.

I'm not sure what to make of it, but if her fragility and fitness do not get in the way, Stephens should make the quarters at least. The only player who can beat her without any help in her quarter is Zheng.
One other player in that section of the draw could beat Sloane.

Sloane. :gorgeous: