Country Cups (Davis Cup, Fed/BJK Cup)

Davis Cup, BJK Cup, ATP Cup, Olympics and Laver cup, plus maybe a few others
ashkor87 India

Re: Country Cups (Davis Cup, Fed/BJK Cup)

Post by ashkor87 »

Nothing on Davis Cup yet?!
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I loved the original format, as a boy, I got to see some great players live just because of Davis Cup. There wasn't a single tournament of any kind in my country then, and we did not have TV! Of course, nowadays with a global TV setup, much of the charm of the original format is gone..but one of the good things Davis Cup did was to take great, or, atleast, good, players to countries and audiences who might otherwise not see any tennis at all..that is still a need I feel .
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

No sensible captain would choose Sloane to play in BjK cup..she always wilts under this kind of pressure..some players just don't do well when playing for their country..
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Sampras was a bit like that too..lost many matches you would expect him to win.. it is not to single out Sloane...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:56 am Sampras was a bit like that too..lost many matches you would expect him to win.. it is not to single out Sloane...
Ah, I would disagree. Sampras played in several DC ties, winning (IIRC, not going to look it up) two (one playing doubles only).
Remember the 1995 DC final Vs Russia. Pete played that monster match vs Chenokov, collapsing at the end because the Russians had soaked the court so much it was unplayable (they got fined $25,000 for that). Then Courier lost to Kafelnikov and Gullikson changed the doubles to Sampras/Martin, telling them to forget about second serves. They went for first serves in all serves and it worked out. On Sunday, Pete beat Yevgeny in what was a truly heroic performance.
And then, it literally got page 32 in Sports Illustrated and Pete said that if that was what it meant for the USA, he was out.
And I could not blame him.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:33 am No sensible captain would choose Sloane to play in BjK cup..she always wilts under this kind of pressure..some players just don't do well when playing for their country..
Really odd time for this take. Shelby didn't look good in her first match, almost cost Team USA the chance to advance. Shelby also played doubles and lost. Sloane played the second match that Shelby was slated for and won and helped the team advance to the semis. She competed well, but ultimately lost a competitive 3-set match against Samsonova, who had a great week and also helped Russia seal the victory.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Chart showing where to watch DC Finals

https://www.daviscupfinals.com/schedule/
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:52 pm

Can't read the article but I'm guessing this is the subtext

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:33 pm
ti-amie wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:52 pm

Can't read the article but I'm guessing this is the subtext

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

And here we go. The optics of this is so bad they had to say they haven't made a final decision.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:12 pm And here we go. The optics of this is so bad they had to say they haven't made a final decision.

Completely. First they disemboweled the event (when they changed the format). Now, they are selling the corpse.
Just let it die. If players do not want to represent their country, fine. But don't turn it into the Davis Brothel's Cup.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:08 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:33 am No sensible captain would choose Sloane to play in BjK cup..she always wilts under this kind of pressure..some players just don't do well when playing for their country..
Really odd time for this take. Shelby didn't look good in her first match, almost cost Team USA the chance to advance. Shelby also played doubles and lost. Sloane played the second match that Shelby was slated for and won and helped the team advance to the semis. She competed well, but ultimately lost a competitive 3-set match against Samsonova, who had a great week and also helped Russia seal the victory.
Really odd time, is true .I wasn't following BJK live, not covered much where I live. Just my opinion that Sloane is a poor choice for BJK cup, if I remember right, her record in FedCup is not great.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:22 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:56 am Sampras was a bit like that too..lost many matches you would expect him to win.. it is not to single out Sloane...
Ah, I would disagree. Sampras played in several DC ties, winning (IIRC, not going to look it up) two (one playing doubles only).
Remember the 1995 DC final Vs Russia. Pete played that monster match vs Chenokov, collapsing at the end because the Russians had soaked the court so much it was unplayable (they got fined $25,000 for that). Then Courier lost to Kafelnikov and Gullikson changed the doubles to Sampras/Martin, telling them to forget about second serves. They went for first serves in all serves and it worked out. On Sunday, Pete beat Yevgeny in what was a truly heroic performance.
And then, it literally got page 32 in Sports Illustrated and Pete said that if that was what it meant for the USA, he was out.
And I could not blame him.
That Chesnokov match was dramatic but Sampras should not have had such a hard time beating him. Sampras record in Davis Cup is 15-8..not comparable with, say, McEnroe's