C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by ponchi101 »

As we expected:
Ashes and Australian Open competitors to require full vaccination or be refused entry

Novak is mentioned as a prime example in the article. So here he stands.
Does he stand by his beliefs, or does he take the vaccine? As lucky a person as he is, he simply walks into traps set up by himself too often.
All players have until October 15 to get a first jab. The article does not say how they plan to control the players.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Why only 15th of October?
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:As we expected:
Ashes and Australian Open competitors to require full vaccination or be refused entry

Novak is mentioned as a prime example in the article. So here he stands.
Does he stand by his beliefs, or does he take the vaccine? As lucky a person as he is, he simply walks into traps set up by himself too often.
All players have until October 15 to get a first jab. The article does not say how they plan to control the players.
Yeah how will they verify the vaccine? People can lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Provide a vaccine certificate? We have those in EU.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Indeed, it would seem rather odd to apply these deadlines (October 15th to get the 1st vaccine and November 26th to get the 2nd) to tennis players who plan on being in Australia only for the Aussie Open, which is scheduled to begin (main draw) on January 17th (and not play any lead-in tournaments in Australia, if there are any this time).
Qualifying is another matter - add another week or so for that... and players would want to arrive at least a few days before their first match...
It is close, I suppose - considering that one is only considered fully vaccinated 2 to 3 weeks after the 2nd shot.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote:Provide a vaccine certificate? We have those in EU.
Cant they easily be faked?

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:25 am
Suliso wrote:Provide a vaccine certificate? We have those in EU.
Cant they easily be faked?
Yes.
With the technology available today, pretty much anything can be faked (because the human animal will abuse everything he comes into contact with) *.
And with the money and contacts that pro tennis players have, they could very easily find resources to fake vaccine certificates. The question then becomes 'Would they do this?' If they do, they would be taking a huge risk - for, if it is discovered that their vaccine certificate is not legitimate, and that the player knew this, that player's tennis career will be finished (or at least it should be finished - but then, 'celebrities' tend to be able to get away with pretty much anything... sigh...)

Off Topic
A couple of decades ago, when digital photography was first being introduced, a professional newspaper photographer said to me (at a Davis Cup practice) that "a photograph used to be proof that something happened - but today, with digital photography and computer manipulation, a photo doesn't prove a damned thing!"
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

And that was yesterday. Not feeling as great now and her watermelon tasted terrible. So...yeah.

As I said before, I'm good and done with this. I'm sure I sound like an asshole, but I truly do not care. I like Aryna, but with few exceptions (kids and countries that still don't have wide availability) I'll save my sympathy for someone that is vaccinated, tests positive, and has symptoms. The "I'm young and healthy" argument is not just dumb, those that are appear to have an especially good chance of avoiding symptoms. Quite a few vaccinated pro athletes that have tested positive are coming back on the minimum timetable allowed with very few symptoms. Maybe she could've counted herself among that group.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

You know, back in the early days of the pandemic, most of us took comfort in the facts as we understood them at the time... E.g., most people who get COVID won't even know they have it. That's probably still true, at least to some degree. But at the time, if we were being honest with ourselves, it was part defense mechanism and part wishful thinking.

But as more time passed, as we watched in horror as military tanks lined the streets of cities in northern Italy to load up corpses, as we saw video of dead people lying on the streets and sidewalks in Ecuador, as we saw pictures of mass graves being dug in Brazil, and as we saw one news report after another about ICUs filled to the max in New York, Seattle, and numerous other urban centers in the U.S., rational minds were hoping for one thing: Please, please, PLEASE give us something to protect us from this monster we cannot see.

And then we got that protection. I have already told the story about the day I got my vaccine and how I sat in middle of a pharmacy bawling like a grieving widow because of the profound sense of relief I felt.

That initial fear eventually turned into a profound sense of personal peace.

But lately, that sense of personal peace has turned into rage. Because of dingbats like Aryna, I still cannot do many of the things I want to do or go to places I want to go.

I am sick of these people. My sympathy quotient for them is in the negative.
Last edited by dryrunguy on Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Dry I'm struggling to maintain my sympathy quotient. It's really, really hard because we're not where we were in March 2020.

BTW my niece asked if her school, part of the NY Archdiocese, goes hybrid if we would prefer she stay home.

Calling them dingbats is too kind.

Post by meganfernandez »

dryrunguy wrote:You know, back in the early days of the pandemic, most of us took comfort in the facts as we understood them at the time... E.g., most people who get COVID won't even know they have it. That's probably still true, at least to some degree. But at the time, if we were being honest with ourselves, it was part defense mechanism and part wishful thinking.

But as more time passed, as we watched in horror as military tanks lined the streets of cities in northern Italy to load up corpses, as we saw video of dead people lying on the streets and sidewalks in Ecuador, as we saw pictures of mass graves being dug in Brazil, and as we saw one news report after another about ICUs filled to the max in New York, Seattle, and numerous other urban centers in the U.S., rational minds were hoping for one thing: Please, please, PLEASE give us something to protect us from this monster we cannot see.

And then we got that protection. I have already told the story about the day I got my vaccine and how I sat in middle of a pharmacy bawling like a grieving widow because of the profound sense of relief I felt.

That initial fear eventually turned into a profound sense of personal peace.

But lately, that sense of personal peace has turned into rage. Because of dingbats like Aryna, I still cannot do many of the things I want to do or go to places I want to go.

I am sick of these people. My sympathy quotient for them is in the negative.
I don’t have much sympathy, even for family members who were recently pretty sick with it. Depends on the circumstances, though.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I am trying to keep a "balance" (and I am not implying that you guys are not, just saying how hard it is to do so).
The STATISTICAL balance is: the disease has killed around 5 million people in almost two years. It WILL NOT destroy mankind, it will not wipe us out. We need to start moving and the sole way of doing that is well known to us: vaccination, masks (for a couple of extra years), boosters, not terribly large gatherings. But we need to get back to work and get the economy going (says the biased guy that spends half his morning looking for work).
But:
The EMOTIONAL balance is so hard. My mom has recovered, but my sister had a patient whose Grandfather died yesterday. This thing is still out there, and we simply got lucky that my 82 yo mom has made it. It was simply that: luck. She was a woman in good health, and that was the luck, but she has made it clear she is not going out anywhere until she gets that second dose (it will be her first foray out, she insists).
So, I am still trying to gauge how I feel about what to do.
But, the final but: Aryna, Kyrie, and every single person that refuses this vaccine? If something happens to them, I will not feel the slightest sorrow.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Glad to hear your mom is better!! (haven't had a chance to catch up on your blog)