Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by ti-amie »

So now it's all better right?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Saudi government wishes to rebrand the country as a major tourism and investment destination and they have lots of money. So...
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Serious and possibly stupid question - are there likely Middle East investments in the average IRA, 401K or mutual fund? How many people know what they are really invested in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:41 pm The WTA will hold its Finals in Riyadh from 2024 through 2026.
That is the same thing as holding the awards ceremonies for a journalism prize in Pyongyang. Or Havana.
Every year at the WTA Finals the players pose for a series of photos in gowns that would be against the law for people to wear in public in Saudi Arabia. Will the players be arrested? Will they be forced to cover up when the take the court? Will they be required to cover their hair, and faces while outside of the tournament area like at the hotel, or the airport? What about the women on their team, or the officials for the tournament? Will women be allowed to attend the matches, and walk around freely, and will they be required to cover up as well? What about players from the queer community? I know this is all about the money that the Saudis can pay, but this just doesn't make any sense.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:04 am Serious and possibly stupid question - are there likely Middle East investments in the average IRA, 401K or mutual fund? How many people know what they are really invested in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do. And, no way in hell would I invest in anything immoral. I might be willing to sell myself on the streets (or, frankly, any of you) for a good sandwich. BUT, I still have my standards. :gorgeous:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I for one am going to boycott this event...won't even look it up or comment on it
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

skatingfan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:04 am
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:41 pm The WTA will hold its Finals in Riyadh from 2024 through 2026.
That is the same thing as holding the awards ceremonies for a journalism prize in Pyongyang. Or Havana.
Every year at the WTA Finals the players pose for a series of photos in gowns that would be against the law for people to wear in public in Saudi Arabia. Will the players be arrested? Will they be forced to cover up when the take the court? Will they be required to cover their hair, and faces while outside of the tournament area like at the hotel, or the airport? What about the women on their team, or the officials for the tournament? Will women be allowed to attend the matches, and walk around freely, and will they be required to cover up as well? What about players from the queer community? I know this is all about the money that the Saudis can pay, but this just doesn't make any sense.
Yes to most of that I think. One rule for Saudis, another for privileged foreigners. Like in Dubai or Qatar.

Players will live in their bubbles and will hardly notice anything is different. Unless they choose to.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

The flexibility of their religion to benefit the government makes me think the religion isn't actually important to the government, just the application of its rules when it benefits them. There's always exceptions to benefit those on top in religion. What a load.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Owendonovan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:19 pm The flexibility of their religion to benefit the government makes me think the religion isn't actually important to the government, just the application of its rules when it benefits them. There's always exceptions to benefit those on top in religion. What a load.
acually,my understanding is they use religion to keep the flock in line..
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:47 pm
Owendonovan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:19 pm The flexibility of their religion to benefit the government makes me think the religion isn't actually important to the government, just the application of its rules when it benefits them. There's always exceptions to benefit those on top in religion. What a load.
acually,my understanding is they use religion to keep the flock in line..
Yes, only the general public needs to follow the religion to a T, those in government don't.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Owendonovan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:03 pm Yes, only the general public needs to follow the religion to a T, those in government don't.
We also have to be clear that the 'government' is the House of Saud, and the House of Saud has had many members who have not followed the rules that the population is required to over the years. If they get too out of line they just have them killed. It's really War of the Roses type stuff from time to time when it suits those in line for the throne.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I will have to keep track of this event because of TAT but other than posting about it I will not watch one second of it.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Worked enough in the Middle East to attest to the hypocrisy of the region.
No alcohol? Sure, until you walk into any of the fancy international hotels. And many more examples that at the moment I am too tired to list.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:52 am Worked enough in the Middle East to attest to the hypocrisy of the region.
No alcohol? Sure, until you walk into any of the fancy international hotels. And many more examples that at the moment I am too tired to list.
I read about this "compound" in either Qatar or UAE that is walled (IIRC) and patrolled by armed guards 24/7. Within its walls foreigners would never know they weren't in some exclusive tropical paradise (And yeah I know about those too. They work the same as this one.)
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

My mom and sister have been to a beach resort in UAE. These are rather popular with Europeans and no they don't need to be guarded like that. Let's not exaggerate folks.

In Saudi maybe...