Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by meganfernandez »

JTContinental wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:06 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:36 pm
jazzyg wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:57 pm Halep's suspension is over.

She can return to the tour immediately if she wants.
Let's see if she sues. I doubt she will have good results again. She was out for a year and a half.
Plus, she won’t be doping anymore, so we’ll see how her stamina holds up on court
And she might be self-conscious about it, which will create a lot of pressure.

It isn't an exoneration, it's a reduced sentence, which is more of a comment on ITIA's fairness and strictness than Halep's guilt or innocence.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

She has been too long off the tour. And with her style of game, it will be hard to come back.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Halep's suspension was always excessive and arbitrary. I note that they threw out the entire biological passport issue, as lacking evidence. All this is pseudo-science, based on statistics, not any real understanding of how the body works. I wouldn't hang a dog on such evidence..not, it seems, would the CAS. Good for them.
Last edited by ashkor87 on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:50 pm She has been too long off the tour. And with her style of game, it will be hard to come back.
Yes, thry may as well have banned her for life. The tennis World has a lot to answer for.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

A missed opportunity. Why? Because we don't have Kardasians in the sport, or any other ridiculous characters? What were they going to show? Roger singing with Tommy Haas and Grigor (I don't even remember if it was them)? Mirca raising 4 normal kids? Cisca raising one?
Hey, the sport is like that. You want TV audience? Do wrestling.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

I watched the first couple episodes of the first season, was bored, and never went back. Talking about the results of the 2022 Australian Open on the eve of the 2023 Australian Open wasn't very interesting.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Halep is an exceptional athlete.

If she is motivated enough, I see no reason she can't get at least close to her previous level.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Well, she's playing next week, so I guess we'll find out. I don't think she'll be a factor this year, but we'll see how she adjusts to the tour when she's not doping.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

JTContinental wrote:Well, she's playing next week, so I guess we'll find out. I don't think she'll be a factor this year, but we'll see how she adjusts to the tour when she's not doping.
Can she qualify for the Olympics? I imagine that would be a big goal since it could be her last at her age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Saudi Arabia launch tennis takeover with $2bn take-it-or-leave-it offer
Exclusive: Saudi offer to merge men’s and women’s tours is apparently time-sensitive, with a 90-day expiration period if it is not accepted

Simon Briggs,
TENNIS CORRESPONDENT
12 March 2024 • 5:04pm
Saudi Arabia has made its move for tennis, Telegraph Sport can reveal, with a $2 billion take-it-or-leave-it offer to merge the men’s and women’s tours.

Sources say that after the Premium Tour discussions in Indian Wells last Saturday, ATP chairman Andrea Gaudenzi asked the Masters tournaments to stay behind once the four grand slams had left the room. Gaudenzi then briefed them on an offer from Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF). The deal is said to be time-sensitive, with a 90-day expiration period if it is not accepted. As things stand, the four grand slams would not be part of this PIF offer.

The biggest upside for PIF would be a Masters 1000 tournament in the first week of the season – which was what the Saudis have wanted all along – and is something Gaudenzi has been pushing for since last summer. However, this idea was strongly opposed by Tennis Australia boss Craig Tiley, who has established the United Cup team event in the same slot in the calendar. The resulting animosity between Tiley and Gaudenzi started the slams down the road to their so-called Premium Tour model last year.

It now seems all the more significant that Gaudenzi did not attend January’s Australian Open along with all the other tennis stakeholders, but instead travelled to Riyadh to negotiate with PIF. A small sponsorship deal was announced last month, putting PIF branding on the ATP rankings, but that was clearly only a starting point.

This development has the potential to cause further tension between the two tours and the four slams, especially as United States Tennis Association chief revenue officer Lew Sherr insisted the ATP and WTA chairmen should be invited to Saturday’s Premium Tour meetings as a point of courtesy.

Now it emerges that Gaudenzi had his own unifying model up his sleeve, in which he would ascend to become a tennis commissioner for the two tours.

The ATP had already put their annual tournament meetings back from Miami next week to Madrid in early May, which is where the decision on the PIF offer is likely to be taken.

In a proposed new model, a Saudi Masters event would kickstart the year, and it is an open secret the WTA have already been planning to run their finals in Riyadh in early November. The new-look tennis calendar – rebranded as the PIF Tour – would now be topped and tailed by visits to the Kingdom.

More combined events would surely be a priority, while the next lot of TV and data rights would also be a unified offering, leaving only the slams to one side. Part of the reason why this has not happened to date is that the WTA are considerably less commercially successful than the ATP, with their last known annual revenues standing at just under £90million in 2022 to the ATP’s £238million.

An equal-parts merger is a hard sell to male players, as they would fear the dilution of their own market value. But a huge cash sweetener from PIF can solve that awkward dilemma.

Gaudenzi has certainly come up with a dramatic response to the Premium Tour model, which threatens to downgrade the status of the ATP and WTA Tours. It is a characteristic move from a man with a reputation for pulling off audacious deals.

Gaudenzi is a 50-year-old Italian with a strong sporting background, having reached the ATP Tour’s top 20 in the mid-1990s. His relations with the slams have grown somewhat frosty since the ATP voted to strip rankings points from Wimbledon in 2022 over its exclusion of Russian and Belarusian players. Last year’s run-in with Tiley over the season’s first week only worsened matters.

As for the PIF, this bid continues the trend of Saudi involvement in sport, which has already ripped apart the golf establishment through the creation of the LIV Tour, while also attracting the biggest boxing bouts to Riyadh. In the UK, the sovereign wealth fund effectively owns Newcastle United.

The rival Premium Tour model has not yet shown any signs of involvement with Saudi Arabia. In the parallel discussions held earlier on Saturday in Indian Wells, 10 tournaments were identified as the framework surrounding the four slams, and none of them were to be staged there.

It’s also worth noting that, as part of last month’s ATP sponsorship deal, Queen’s was offered a significant sum to promote PIF in its courtside branding, but turned the offer down. Although the decision was taken by the Lawn Tennis Association, most insiders suspect the All England Club were consulted. In other words, Wimbledon seems to be rather more squeamish about getting into bed with the Saudis than the ATP.

In effect, the tournaments and players who make up the tours now have two different models to choose from. The Gaudenzi gambit offers immediate Saudi cash, while the Premium Tour model requires stakeholders to believe that a streamlined, slam-led calendar would be more profitable than the status quo.

It seems likely, in the long term, the Premium Tour might be a better solution. Yet there is also a strong chance the PIF bid will win out for reasons of expediency.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2024 ... und-offer/

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Rea$on$ of expediency.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

From r/tennis posted by Available-Gap8489
I think the majors would still be on the calendar, seperate to ATP/WTA as they are now

This is Gaudenzi’s way of trying to avoid the “super tour” which essentially would axe all non-masters events and limit the field to 96 players

The super tour has backing from AO (it’s Tiley’s idea) and Wimbledon has now given support too.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

how many jokes can we make about the PIF Tour?
Prostitutes Incessantly (expletive) Tour?
Purchasable In - Fidels Tour?

They will do it. The money is too much. As i said before, I have never been offered any money in my life so I will not judge anybody that succumbs to the temptation.