Great Tennis Journalism 2.0

Our main board to talk about our sport
ashkor87 India

Re: Great Tennis Journalism 2.0

Post by ashkor87 »

Not questioning his integrity, only his knowledge and judgment about tennis.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Next time he does it, I will post here again

No, scratch that .I just don't read any article nowadays with his name on it...
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:52 am On a positive note, String Theory by David Foster Wallace is a marvellous book of essays on tennis..well worth your time, both in terms of insights and sheer writing..the chapter on Federer has entered tennis lore, but I personally like the one on Tracy Austin best...
Co-worker of mine is a "4 times per year" tennis watcher. He is an avid reader and knowing I like tennis lent me his copy of "a supposedly fun thing I'll never do again" by David foster Wallace.

It is a collection of essays and arguments. He directed me to the essay written about tennis player Michael Joyce. (Also reprinted in "string theory" )

He follows tennis player Michael Joyce through qualies and into the tournament. It is completely enrapturing.

Powerful writing of describing something that isn't easy (namely how they work) while interspersing anecdotes, vignettes, and thoughts about players and the machinations of the tour. Pretty much every page has 1-2 footnotes.

Was particularly enjoyable for me because it takes place in 1995 - formative years of tennis to me so the names mentioned made me giddy with memories.

Really liked the part where he articulates how he thought he could at least be on the court with pros because he played competitive tennis - and how watching a practice session up close removed that thought process.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Glad you liked it..all tennis fans should read it ..
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Fastbackss wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:53 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:52 am On a positive note, String Theory by David Foster Wallace is a marvellous book of essays on tennis..well worth your time, both in terms of insights and sheer writing..the chapter on Federer has entered tennis lore, but I personally like the one on Tracy Austin best...
Co-worker of mine is a "4 times per year" tennis watcher. He is an avid reader and knowing I like tennis lent me his copy of "a supposedly fun thing I'll never do again" by David foster Wallace.

It is a collection of essays and arguments. He directed me to the essay written about tennis player Michael Joyce. (Also reprinted in "string theory" )

He follows tennis player Michael Joyce through qualies and into the tournament. It is completely enrapturing.

Powerful writing of describing something that isn't easy (namely how they work) while interspersing anecdotes, vignettes, and thoughts about players and the machinations of the tour. Pretty much every page has 1-2 footnotes.

Was particularly enjoyable for me because it takes place in 1995 - formative years of tennis to me so the names mentioned made me giddy with memories.

Really liked the part where he articulates how he thought he could at least be on the court with pros because he played competitive tennis - and how watching a practice session up close removed that thought process.
I remember seeing a Rafa practice session up close because he was on the practice court closest to the fence where the bleacher seats are located (old US Open Practice Court layout). I thought I was seeing things and couldn't believe his racquet head speed. I totally understand the highlighted portion above.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Interesting ..my first experience watching top players up close was a Davis Cup team practice..I was standing just a few feet away from the net post, which was exciting for a 12 year old .Krishnan (the elder one) hardly seemed to even take a swing but the ball travelled like it has been shot from a gun..all timing, as I realised .but it left me in shock. What happened to all the laws of physics? Newton"s first law, which I had just learned, seemed to have been held in abeyance for him.

I enjoyed the essay in Michael Joyce too..what is the life of a really good player who isn't at the top and never will be? Fascinating, and quite moving also ..
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote:Not questioning his integrity, only his knowledge and judgment about tennis.
Integrity was about clickbait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/artic ... vie-review

By my favorite tennis expert- who was a really fine player herself. Excellent review .made me (almost( want to see the movie. But written with the kind of insight and understanding we have come to expect from Petkovic.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:28 am https://www.theguardian.com/sport/artic ... vie-review

By my favorite tennis expert- who was a really fine player herself. Excellent review .made me (almost( want to see the movie. But written with the kind of insight and understanding we have come to expect from Petkovic.
The movie has been getting good reviews but Petko loving it is the icing on the cake. Good for all involved.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:28 am https://www.theguardian.com/sport/artic ... vie-review

I don't want to see the movie and I didn't want to read her review ... I've heard the characters are comletely unlikeable, and it seems like it's for a younger audience. But I read Petko's review anyway and it wasn't so painful. Until she said it's better than Moneyball. She threw it all away in two word! The endings do so much work.

I was excited for King Richard, but not for Challengers. And I'm not even the biggest Williams fan or Will Smith fan. And the tennis was pretty solid, too. The actress who played Venus did an AMAZING job learning tennis in three months. Zendaya's serve in the clips I've seen is so gangly. Hard to watch. But I also marvel that she mimics those movements as well as she does.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Excellent piece by Andrea.
But... Moneyball? Better than Moneyball? Which, in turn: better than Bull Durham or White men can't jump?
I'm still not watching it. Last tennis movie I saw was Match Point, and it was dreadful. So, I am staying with real tennis.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I am not likely to watch it either..there are ten movies/shows ahead of this in line for me..and my wife and I can't find the time anyway...we are busy preparing for a vacation - Morocco, Spain and London...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/ja ... into-semis
Headline on the tennis.com says Sinner withdraws from Rome .when I click on it, this is what I get.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I don't think he will announce withdrawing from Rome so soon. Will give himself a few days, which he has.
So maybe just... good tennis journalism. :)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Sinner has announced his withdrawal ..there is no error in the headline, just mismatch between headline And post