In Memoriam

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: In Memoriam

Post by ponchi101 »

Jerry Springer has died.
How influential was this man on today's culture? The show was a total disgrace; I believe that can be agreed upon. But that it was also completely influential is without a doubt. How much of today's Kardasian culture is linked to his show and that style?
Sure, R.I.P. He was not a criminal or anything like that. But I would like to see some study about how that single show changed so many things. If it did.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:32 pm Sure, R.I.P. He was not a criminal or anything like that.
The actual opposite, which is why I posted the above announcement. It's important to remember he had a full, respectable multi-faceted career before he had The Jerry Springer Show.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:32 pm Jerry Springer has died.
How influential was this man on today's culture? The show was a total disgrace; I believe that can be agreed upon. But that it was also completely influential is without a doubt. How much of today's Kardasian culture is linked to his show and that style?
It was influential, but not to the level you seem to be giving it to me at all. The Kardashians? No. And Jerry Springer was far from a pioneer in that brand of talk show genre, so others like Geraldo Rivera would be examples of being as influential in shaping that brand of TV at that time.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think without Springer the Trashians, and all the various Housewives shows, some of which use actual criminals in their story lines, wouldn't have come about. In that sense he was a pioneer and it is a shame that that is what he will be remembered for. May he RIP.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:32 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:32 pm Jerry Springer has died.
It was influential, but not to the level you seem to be giving it to me at all. The Kardashians? No. And Jerry Springer was far from a pioneer in that brand of talk show genre, so others like Geraldo Rivera would be examples of being as influential in shaping that brand of TV at that time.
As I say, I would like to know. Geraldo had a veneer of journalism that saved him from many criticisms; of course, he was NOT a real journalist but people than started to believe that was a proper way to report the news. Springer (and, BTW, I never as much as saw one single show of his) got rid of even that patina of respectability. It was who can scream and shout the loudest.
Therefore, I do wonder about his level of influence. How much is he responsible for the modern concept of washing the dirty laundry in public as acceptable spectacle?

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:53 pm
As I say, I would like to know. Geraldo had a veneer of journalism that saved him from many criticisms; of course, he was NOT a real journalist but people than started to believe that was a proper way to report the news. Springer (and, BTW, I never as much as saw one single show of his) got rid of even that patina of respectability. It was who can scream and shout the loudest.
Therefore, I do wonder about his level of influence. How much is he responsible for the modern concept of washing the dirty laundry in public as acceptable spectacle?

I gave Geraldo as an example because I thought it was a name you would recognize. Morton Downey Jr. and Richard Bey are others who I didn't think you'd know but who popularized this form before Jerry. Jerry's show was a copycat, not an original in any way. It was unsuccessful and had to remodel itself into a new format borrowing from more successful shows at the time, of that ilk and a few others that weren't nearly as controversial, to become popular.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:37 pm I think without Springer the Trashians, and all the various Housewives shows, some of which use actual criminals in their story lines, wouldn't have come about. In that sense he was a pioneer and it is a shame that that is what he will be remembered for. May he RIP.
I completely disagree. And I think one of the issues here is that your and @ponchi's perception may come from outside. Have you guys watched any of the shows you are talking about? And if so, for how long? Because I have watched just about everything that was highly influential for an extended period of time at one point or another of the various influences of what is current reality TV. I think if you understand and appreciate the appeal of the genre, than you'd get more why I'm saying Springer and the like aren't heavy influences of it at all.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I admit I've never watched "reality" tv unless you count HGTV and Food Network (when it was really about food and cooking) those kind of shows as part of the genre.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:22 pm
ti-amie wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:37 pm I think without Springer the Trashians, and all the various Housewives shows, some of which use actual criminals in their story lines, wouldn't have come about. In that sense he was a pioneer and it is a shame that that is what he will be remembered for. May he RIP.
I completely disagree. And I think one of the issues here is that your and @ponchi's perception may come from outside. Have you guys watched any of the shows you are talking about? And if so, for how long? Because I have watched just about everything that was highly influential for an extended period of time at one point or another of the various influences of what is current reality TV. I think if you understand and appreciate the appeal of the genre, than you'd get more why I'm saying Springer and the like aren't heavy influences of it at all.
Oh, you have me there. I never saw a single Springer show, and never have watched a single KUWTK or RHOf. Plus, didn't even know the names you are mentioning, so I gather I yield. Txs.
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

This one stings

Legendary rock icon Tina Turner has died at age 83

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »