Racquets/Strings

Talk about your racquets, your strings, shoes and yes, your balls.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Racquets/Strings

Post by ti-amie »

This is why people like Andy Murray.

I tried to get the sequence of tweets right
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Personal ideas.
Wozniacki went from her Babolat to a Yonex midway through her career. They were the bad years of her career, as the Yonex is famous for control (which Caro had in abundance) but not power (which she lacked). The Yonex made her a lighter hitter.
Tsonga went the opposite way. He went from an early Wilson frame (his Aussie slam final) to the Babolat. A player with abundant power went for even more, but he lost control.
Roger, Rafa, Nole and Andy have been with basically the same frame for ages (Nole went from Wilson to Head). Changing a racquet radically, for these guys, is a big gamble. Rafa could not switch to the Babolat's experimentals they were making for him. Roger took two years to tweak that frame of his, which is a marginal change from the "regular" Pro Staff he always used.
But when you see that even Murray is tinkering with his racquet, you can see how crucial that is. I would love to hear those guys discuss what they really have for a racquet (Nole, for example, has his racquet with considerable lead tape in the Head).
My god, it's full of stars!
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I have heard from more than one good authority that Murray has used the Head PT57A for pretty much his full career. It's a very well known frame/layup among pros, and has been so for many years.
The PT57A is a Head Pro Tour 630. Head claim that Thomas Muster helped to design it - back in the 1990s.
It's a great frame - I have a couple (in the Pro Tour 280 version - the only difference between the 280 and the 630 being the grommet strip; 630 was with the CAP grommets for the European market, the 280 was with regular grommets for the North American market).
Of course, Murray, like the majority of pros, customizes the grip, adds weight, changes the balance, etc. - like silicone in the handle, etc.

I know that that generation of players (Murray, Nadal, Djokovic, Federer, etc.), as well as the previous generations, would, as a rule, stay with the same racquet model throughout - often the one they used as upcoming juniors. Only the cosmetics would change, based on what the given racquet company had in the stores at any given time (because it's a dishonest business). This makes sense, as once you find something that is comfortable, feels good, and works, you don't want to change.
There are a few exceptions - like Federer moving to a larger head frame (which very likely plays similarly to his old Wilson Pro Staff 6.0), and Djokovic moving from Wilson to Head, which has a different head shape - although Head very likely tried to replicate the feel of his Wilson frames.
Some players have made the mistake of changing racquet companies, and, despite the new company trying to replicate the previous company's frame, it wasn't similar enough.

I, myself, have preferred the 'Head feel' for most of my 40 years of playing - starting with the beautiful Arthur Ashe Competition frames. The Head frames that I've played with consistently over the past 15 years or so (Pro Tour 280, Prestige Classic 600, iPrestige Mid - they are all in my bag, and I alternate them, as they play only slightly different from one another) are an evolution of those Arthur Ashe Competitions.

See here...
Andy Murray's Racquet

I don't know what the generations of players that have come after the Nadal/Federer generation has done/is doing in terms of racquets. I tend to think they are probably more prone to changing more often because they were brought up in a time where everything changes so quickly, and where whatever you buy is obsolete a week after purchase. That, plus the marketing has been more aggressive and slick over the past 20 years or so... and racquet cosmetic designs have tended to be more flashy...
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion."
~ Henry Thoreau
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Naomi will start using a new racquet starting at Cincy. Not a real new racquet, but new cosmetics, designed by a Japanese modern artist called Takashi Murakami. Surprisingly, it will not be sold, which I gather is so the stampede to buy it will not trample young fans. Just to few models auctioned, with proceeds going to charity.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Shoes.
Because, you know, Roger will stop being a force in the sport once he retires.
Don't think so. ON SPORTS issued their IPO today. It went well.
They retail for about $140-$150, so I gather I will never know how good they are (I can find Adidas for around $70, so really, it would be a waste of footwear on an old foggy like me)