Scheduled Maintenance: UPDATE COMPLETED. Please, let me know if you notice anything strange or missing from the board.
We will be PLAYING FOR GOLD during the Olympics. Get ready for this medal awarding contest by reading the intro and how it works.

2024 Green Acres: The Strawberries and Cream Lounge

All topics related to fantasy tennis contests.

Moderator: Contest Staff

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: 2024 Green Acres: The Strawberries and Cream Lounge

Post by ponchi101 »

I had Rybakina in my team from the beginning. We know she has delivered nothing. So I will trade her.
And if she wins the whole thing, it will make me happy so I won't mind. But her health issues keep popping up to frequently.
Full A team to be changed. Anyway, I am so far behind it will make no difference.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

I'm down to having to hope a long shot that no one else has wins the women's draw, which ain't happening even though it appears wide open considering the health issues of the top contenders.

If Vekic beats Shnaider, I will be down 178 points than what my total would have been because of two trades. There has to be a Hall of Shame for that.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

jazzyg wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:05 pm I'm down to having to hope a long shot that no one else has wins the women's draw, which ain't happening even though it appears wide open considering the health issues of the top contenders.

If Vekic beats Shnaider, I will be down 178 points than what my total would have been because of two trades. There has to be a Hall of Shame for that.
I have the keys. You want to join me?
Oploskoffie Netherlands

Post by Oploskoffie »

The second half of this competition is conspiring against me :cry: Also, I should have just picked Vekic instead of Pliskova. She's already scored twice as many points and still isn't out of Wimbledon yet :freaking:
My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Or Raducanu. Just like I did, remember? ;)
(I will have ANOTHER crow sandwich, if you don't mind. Send it over to the SP lounge, where I am enjoying my demise courtesy of Ruud).

Post by jazzyg »

This is the small victory that means next to nothing in the contest but make it worth playing for me.

When I picked up Kalinskaya looking for a long shot who might even win the tournament, I had to decide which of the two losers on my team to get rid of --Krejcikova or Kudermetova, who were playing each other in the first round. I went back and forth, Kudermetova, normally dangerous on grass, has been awful all year and could not keep two balls in a row on the court in the lead-up tournaments. Krejcikova has been mystifyingly bad and lacking confidence coming back from injury and looked terrible in the two matches I watched her lose before Wimbledon. I decided to keep Krejcikova because at least she has a history of going deep in slams. I watched a little of their match today, and it was as terrible as I thought it would be, with no clear winner until the final point. Kudermetova blew five set points in the opening set and trailed 5-3 in the third before winning what seemed like 10 points in a row to level it at 5-all and go up 30-0. I stopped paying attention for a few minutes, and the next time I looked Krecjikova was up match point, which she (we) won on yet another tame Kudermetova error.

Yes!! I won five extra points with a chance for more, although Krejcikova will have to be more consistent to even beat Volynets tomorrow. She has moments when she plays really good points, but other stretches when she hacks at forehands that float 10 feet past the baseline. I cannot figure out why a player who beat in-form, dominant Swiatek and Sabalenka early last year is struggling this much, but after making a pair of disastrous trades earlier, at least I got this one right. Barely. Yay me.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Krejcikova doing fine. This might work for you.

Post by jazzyg »

It is ridiculous to be crushed when Keys gets hurt because she always gets hurt, but that truth aside, I am crushed.

With the way the draw has opened, she had a good path to the final. I am starting to believe Kalinskaya can go all the way, but Rybakina might 3 and 2 that idea tomorrow morning.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

jazzyg wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:39 pm It is ridiculous to be crushed when Keys gets hurt because she always gets hurt, but that truth aside, I am crushed.

With the way the draw has opened, she had a good path to the final. I am starting to believe Kalinskaya can go all the way, but Rybakina might 3 and 2 that idea tomorrow morning.
You know I am the first one that says that outside of Iga on clay, the WTA is wide open. But, why Kalinskaya? Why are you high on her?
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

ouch. my hopes took a hit today with Gauff. I do still have Sinner, Vekic, and de Minaur alive but I know others still have some combo of Sinner, Alcaraz, Djokovic, and Rybakina alive so who knows what will happen!

Post by jazzyg »

I posted here about Kalinskaya at the Australian Open for the first time. Really like her smooth game. Also like how she beat Swiatek and Gauff at the same tournament a little later and how she had multiple match points to win Berlin on grass.

She has not closed well in big matches or she would be more well known. She was up a set on Zheng in the AO quarterfinals but collapsed midway through the second set. She was up a set and a break on Paolini in the final of the event where she beat Swiatek and Gauff but lost. And she has dispatched Bouzkova and Samsonova with ease at Wimbledon. Might turn out to be totally wrong about her, but she is 2-2 against Rybakina.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

Well, I am done for sure now. First Gauff's meltdown/whatever that was. Second, Sinner's loss. Third, de Minaur's withdrawal due to that hip injury.

Good luck to everyone who still has more than 1 player remaining!
Oploskoffie Netherlands

Post by Oploskoffie »

Yeah, it has been a brutal Wimbledon for some and there are going to be some pretty big changes in the rankings. Because there are still some variables I'm not going to name any names but having a certain Donna on a team turned out to be a better move than I ever thought it would be!
My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Vekic was obviously gold. And she has a chance against Paolini. So, maybe even better still.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Well jinxed!
:steven: