Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

Many fans are already voicing concern about ATP 250's and Challengers in the above scenario. My first thought is that this will help the Stef's, Zverev's and others who have trouble with the Bo5 format to gain points. I have to think about it some more.

Also the WTA moves in lockstep with the ATP and that is a whole other can of worms.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:23 pm I know there are some "doomsayers" here and elsewhere, but I believe the future of WTA is very bright. Lots of strong young players coming up right now and almost all of them likeable too. I'm sure there will be a few who'll fade, but even then there should still be many Slam winners and exciting tennis between them.

ATP is a bit more concerning to me. Not so much because the big three almost gone, but because the follow up generation is not particularly likeable on personal level. Maybe the next next generation (Alcaraz. FAA, Sinner etc) will be better in this regard.
Of the top 20 players in the WTA, the only one that I sort of not like is Kenin, and that is simply because of her dad's coaching, and she beat Mugu at a Slam final, so that last part is on me, not her.
Out of the top 20, plenty of players to like: Emma, Leylah, Alona, Sloane, Mady, etc.
If only one player comes along with a nice one handed BH, I am going to go so full into the WTA.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:23 pm I know there are some "doomsayers" here and elsewhere, but I believe the future of WTA is very bright. Lots of strong young players coming up right now and almost all of them likeable too. I'm sure there will be a few who'll fade, but even then there should still be many Slam winners and exciting tennis between them.

ATP is a bit more concerning to me. Not so much because the big three almost gone, but because the follow up generation is not particularly likeable on personal level. Maybe the next next generation (Alcaraz. FAA, Sinner etc) will be better in this regard.
Yes, I'm much more encouraged by the under 22 contingent than the group that aged out of the Next Gen group in the last few years. Some that you didn't mention are my favorites and some that I'm just learning about more recently are proving to have a lot of potential. Fingers crossed that it pans out.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:35 pm Many fans are already voicing concern about ATP 250's and Challengers in the above scenario. My first thought is that this will help the Stef's, Zverev's and others who have trouble with the Bo5 format to gain points. I have to think about it some more.

Also the WTA moves in lockstep with the ATP and that is a whole other can of worms.
Not sure I fully understand the translation. My first thought on what I think it says is not necessarily concerning. But I think some of the wording may mean I'm missing some of the bigger changes people are concerned about.

WTA not necessarily in lockstep on this. For reasons unknown, WTA highlights their 125s and the ATP does not, seemingly thinking there's more value in them, so unless there's a planned change on that front, and especially since sponsors differs, I wouldn't think this will necessarily be something the WTA copies.

Post by JazzNU »

Also, I've noticed barely a word mentioned about no ATP tournaments this week, nothing above a 250 this month and only Laver Cup serving as more of an attraction for top players til Indian Wells. If that had been the WTA, doom and gloom about mismanagement would've been all over Tennis Twitter this week.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I've talked about Clara Tauson in the tournament thread, but here I'd like to note that she's not the only game in town in Denmark. Holger Rune (18) grew up in Copenhagen suburbs just like him, they won together Danish under 12 mixed doubles championship, both won junior GS's (AO for her, RG for him) and both were junior #1's. It takes a bit longer to rise in ATP rankings, but he has also done really well on challenger circuit this year improving his ranking from #473 to #136 and the year is not over yet.

In the late 1990's one could have justifiably concluded that this is the peak of Swiss tennis and it won't be any better for decades to come and then came this Roger guy and said "hold my beer". I wonder if similarly Wozniacki will not be the peak of contemporary Danish tennis.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:43 am I played a Jan 6 insurrectionist in a league match last night. It came to light after I (barely) lost. Had I known, I would have tried harder. He and his mom are currently being prosecuted - double fault!
You didn't lose! It was a rigged match! You will be reinstated as the rightful winner any day now!

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Click on link to tweet to see the full statement from Gaudenzi.
These changes appear to correspond with 'Phase I' of the Strategic Plan, which was distributed to players in a summary totaling 92 pages in 2020. It includes turning Rome, Madrid, Canada, Cincinnati and Shanghai to 12-day Masters similar to Miami and Indian Wells, and adding 250 events during the second week of these Masters tournaments. Those 250 events could get a subsidy from the ATP Tour, provided by extra fees paid by the Masters tournaments.

Prize-money increases would be set at 2.5 percent of a base level, plus a bonus pool with a 50 percent share of the collective profit of the Masters events. The complex arrangement includes an independent audit of tournament figures provided to the ATP Tour.

The plan also calls for changes to ATP Media, the broadcast arm of the ATP, which is currently owned jointly by the Tour and each of the Masters events. Under the plan, it appears eventually all tournament would pool their rights and get a share in ATP Media. The Tour will, in addition, create another independent entity called 'Tennis Data Innovations,' which will centralize data rights.

According to Gaudenzi, who was appointed as CEO in 2020, these changes will significantly increase the amount the ATP Tour currently gets for broadcast and data rights.

The second phase calls for more integration with the WTA Tour and Grand Slam events. As Gaudenzi has acknowledged, movement on these plans have been delayed due to the disruption of the coronavirus pandemic.

An initial vote by the ATP Board was planned before the start of Wimbledon, but postponed amid request for more details by the Professional Tennis Players Association, or PTPA, a player group with which No.1 Novak Djokovic is involved. The PTPA has not yet publicly reacted to the ATP's approvals.

The ATP Board consists of the Chairman, three tournament representatives and three player representatives.

https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/at ... rize-money
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:18 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:43 am I played a Jan 6 insurrectionist in a league match last night. It came to light after I (barely) lost. Had I known, I would have tried harder. He and his mom are currently being prosecuted - double fault!
You didn't lose! It was a rigged match! You will be reinstated as the rightful winner any day now!
Oh, for a time machine!

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Totally random.. my opinionated rating of women tennis players as of now..
A + Serena, Venus (semi-retired, for me)
A: Osaka (multiple champion, certain to win many more)
A -: Halep, Muguruza, Kerber, Barty, Kvitova, Azarenka, Andreescu, Swiatek, Raducanu (multiple champions, or champion, likely to win more)
B +: Svitolina, Sakkari, Bencic, Sabalenka, Krejcikova, Kenin (may win one, or has already won one, unlikely to repeat)
B Mertens, Pliskova, Brady, Cornet(very good players, unlikely to ever win a major)

what do you think?
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

How did Cornet get on that list? Never made it past 4th Round at a major or won a WTA1000. Would put Stephens and maybe Pavlyuchenkova in that last category over Cornet and Brady.

(You're also missing ostapenko)
3mlm United States of America

Post by 3mlm »

mmmm8 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:45 pm How did Cornet get on that list? Never made it past 4th Round at a major or won a WTA1000. Would put Stephens and maybe Pavlyuchenkova in that last category over Cornet and Brady.

(You're also missing ostapenko)
Stephens and Ostapenko should both be in the B+ list and agree that Pavlyuchenkova, and perhaps Fernandez or Tauson, in the last category over Cornet and Brady.