Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I wonder how many players do actually have a game plan, and how many simply play a pattern. Which is not the same.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:06 pm I wonder how many players do actually have a game plan, and how many simply play a pattern. Which is not the same.
In life or a match?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

In a match.
Examples.
I don't think Pete had a strategy. His plan was to get to the net, and close the point there. The same for Martina.
Mac's game plan was "serve wide to the BH in the add court, volley to the open court". Martina did not give you a chance to develop a strategy; once she reached the net (usually by the third stroke of the point at the latest), YOU had to come up with a passing shot. Otherwise, match over.

Wilander had a strategy. Go cross court on every stroke and make you wonder if death by drowning in one foot of water was actually better.
Rublev has a strategy: hit EVERY FOREHAND inside out, and when the opening materializes for the down the line forehand, keep hitting inside out. The plan is basically to bore the other guy to tears.

Arthur Ashe talked about one match in which the strategy was to drop shot his opponent all the time, and make him come to the net. The plan was to get him tired. Then, lob high, to make him hit a smash. Do that for the whole match (which was Bo5) and the guy was tired by the fifth.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Alize Cornet is retiring after Roland Garros

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Aryna Sabalenka clarifies incendiary comments saying she prefers watching men’s tennis
Kevin Palmer

Aryna Sabalenka caused a stir when she suggested she would rather watch men’s matches than her rivals on the WTA Tour, but now she has moved to explain those comments.

The world No 2 was in jovial mood when she suggested she didn’t watch a lot of tennis, as she went on to claim she preferred watching the top male players performing on the ATP Tour.

“I’m not one to watch a lot of tennis, I prefer to watch men’s tennis than women’s, I feel there’s more logic and it’s more interesting to watch,” said Sabalenka while laughing.

That comment was always likely to spark a reaction, even if it did look a little more cold than Sabalenka intended it to be.

So it was no surprise that she was keen to explain the meaning behind her comments, as she spoke to the media after her compelling opening match at the Madrid Open ended with a 6-4 3-6 6-3 win against Poland’s Magda Linette.

“I didn’t want to disparage women’s tennis, no,” she insisted. “Listen, I mean, we are doing our best and, great, there are lots of great matches.

“I don’t like to watch it just because I play against all of them and I just want to kind of like change the picture.

“I watch lots of women’s tennis before I go to the match, I watch my opponents, I watch lots of women’s tennis. It’s not like I don’t like it or like I try to offend what I do, you know.

“I just find it more fun to watch the men play because I spend a lot of time studying my opponents, so then in my free time I don’t want to see the girls I play against again.”

(...)

The tragic death of her ex-partner Konstantin Koltsov in Miami last month may well have impacted her ambitions on the tennis court in recent weeks, as she admits she may have fallen behind world No 1 Iga Swiatek and No 3 Elena Rybakina.

“I feel like I’ve lowered the level a little within this hypothetical’ Big Three’, this last month feels more like a Big Two,” said Sabalenka.

“However, I’m happy to be part of this group and these things. They continue to play like this.

“I don’t watch their games, no: I feel like I’ve played against them a lot and that, if I face one of them again, my coach will show me images of the games to analyze and prepare me.

“I don’t think it’s about having confidence, it’s about being ready to achieve everything. The important thing is to be ready and prepared for big battles.

“The important thing is to stay in these games, fight until the end. I will fight for every point and, if I have opportunities, take advantage of them. That’s my mindset going into the clay court season.”

Sabalenka will be looking to find her form ahead of the French Open, with America’s Robin Montgomery her next opponent in the Spanish capital after her win against Britain’s Katie Boulter.

https://www.tennis365.com/wta-tour/aryn ... ens-tennis
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

People are too quick to take offense ..
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Saba needs a couple of easy matches to get in the groove..Robin could be just what she needs..a good player, in form, but not likely to beat Saba
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:36 am People are too quick to take offense ..
One of the top's women tennis players says women's tennis isn't good - that's not about offending anyone, but it's definitely going to lead to some follow up questions.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And the article shows one of my peeves.
Rybakina is NOT the world #3. She is #4. Sure, she has been #3, but that is precisely the point: she is currently not. Somebody, please proof read the articles before you post them.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:55 pm And the article shows one of my peeves.
Rybakina is NOT the world #3. She is #4. Sure, she has been #3, but that is precisely the point: she is currently not. Somebody, please proof read the articles before you post them.
Editors for things like this simply don't exist anymore.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:38 am Saba needs a couple of easy matches to get in the groove..Robin could be just what she needs..a good player, in form, but not likely to beat Saba
Robin made her work for it. Good for her.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

skatingfan wrote:
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:55 pm And the article shows one of my peeves.
I don’t know anything about Tennis 365, but I would be shocked if they have fact-checkers. The story editor should fact-check, and I’m sure they know tennis and take some shortcuts, assuming things here and there. For instance, I wouldn’t have double-checked that Iga is No. 1. I know she is.

Even with fact-checking, errors still happen. They will always happen. Not worth getting bent out of shape over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:48 am
skatingfan wrote:
I don’t know anything about Tennis 365, but I would be shocked if they have fact-checkers. The story editor should fact-check, and I’m sure they know tennis and take some shortcuts, assuming things here and there. For instance, I wouldn’t have double-checked that Iga is No. 1. I know she is.

Even with fact-checking, errors still happen. They will always happen. Not worth getting bent out of shape over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The reason people get bent out of shape about it is because such factual errors wouldn't be tolerated in any other major sport. It's only tennis where you see such mistakes take place.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:05 am The reason people get bent out of shape about it is because such factual errors wouldn't be tolerated in any other major sport. It's only tennis where you see such mistakes take place.
People would complain about it, but they still happen. It's not about the sport, it's about the media, and the cuts to that industry. The transition from legacy media is not going well.