TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by meganfernandez »

dmforever wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:48 pm Has anyone else seen the commercial with Serena and she's playing and there is a horror movie motif? It came out a few weeks ago I think, I guess because of Halloween, but it's totally bizarre.

Two thoughts...Does anyone think that the woman Serena aces to win the match looks a little like Genie? And the nerd in me wants to write them and tell them they have it wrong. The announcers say "triple match point, Serena Williams" but she's serving from the deuce court. Even if she were up 6-3 i a tiebreak, she'd be serving from the ad court.

Kevin
yeah, serving from the ad side on triple match point is annoying. That's the biggest horror in the commercial to me. Love that you thought about the only scenario in a tiebreak that would have applied. If they were playing no-ad, it could have been 40-15. That's the only way this works, I think. Does World Team Tennis play no-ad? Surprised that slipped by Serena's team, which I'm guessing reviewed the commercial. They might have said something but producers or whoever decided not to fix it.

Post by meganfernandez »

atlpam wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:56 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:06 pm
atlpam wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:29 pm Maybe we need a non-tennis thread to air our grammar grievances. ;)
What's funny is, this apparently bothers me -- an editor who diagrams sentences for fun -- a lot less than it bothers the rest of you grammar police. (Not sure if there are other editors or writers in these ranks.) Here, I wanna end a sentence with a preposition willy-nilly.
I worked as a technical writer for awhile. My HS English teacher gave us a list of comma rules and whenever we used a comma, we had to note the rule in the margin. To this day, I still subconsciously apply comma rules.
Bestill my heart! :) Your writing is super clean, so it doesn't surprise me that you worked as a writer.

I also love that everyone knew how to spell grammar. I still can't remember if it's Conners or Connors, though.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:14 pm The word is about to lose meaning because everything that is being used is being done so at a rate that is unsustainable. Randall Munroe drew up a graph in which he plotted that the rate of use of the word unsustainable is unsustainable. it was brilliant.
Anything with Randall Munroe's name on it is good in my books!

Oh right, and to make it tennis related in his latest book he was comparing athletes chances at taking out drones and used Serena as one of his test cases. :) I forget if we mentioned this here or not before.

Comic:

https://xkcd.com/2190/

Full "Serena vs the drones" excerpt:

https://blog.xkcd.com/2019/08/16/serena ... he-drones/
:steven:
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

atlpam wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:29 pm Maybe we need a non-tennis thread to air our grammar grievances. ;)
What's funny is, this apparently bothers me -- an editor who diagrams sentences for fun -- a lot less than it bothers the rest of you grammar police. (Not sure if there are other editors or writers in these ranks.) Here, I wanna end a sentence with a preposition willy-nilly.
So first, I just want to say that for me there is a huge difference between correcting people's grammar while they are with you, or here on this board (very bad manners), and correcting the grammar of people whose jobs make it clear that communication matters and who post places where LITERALLY the whole world can see them. The same goes for announcers, to some extent, though they are communicating in real time and don't have the chance to edit. I know it's a tough job.

Second, the reason I hate the misuse of "literally" is that now you have no way of differentiating between literally and figuratively. For example, if someone says, "She was literally dying during the test", the meaning used to be clear (and dire). Now, you have no idea if someone means it literally or figuratively.

Other imposed "rules" seem silly to me. Please, by all means, end a sentence with a preposition if you want to. Seeing such a sentence is something we can all learn from. Without sentences that end in prepositions, who knows where we would all end up? :)

Kevin
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:50 pm I'm really starting to get concerned about everyone in social settings. Please tell me you guys are not at parties correcting people's grammar and offering up little factoids no one asked for like Rain Man.
The key to our social success is to only go to parties with other nerds.

----

But seriously, echoing Ponchi/Atlpam's notes - I appreciate TAT so much because we are, largely, nerds in a very positive sense.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:49 pm
I cannot believe no one's made this joke.

Post by meganfernandez »

dmforever wrote:
So first, I just want to say that for me there is a huge difference between correcting people's grammar while they are with you, or here on this board (very bad manners), and correcting the grammar of people whose jobs make it clear that communication matters and who post places where LITERALLY the whole world can see them. The same goes for announcers, to some extent, though they are communicating in real time and don't have the chance to edit. I know it's a tough job.

Second, the reason I hate the misuse of "literally" is that now you have no way of differentiating between literally and figuratively. For example, if someone says, "She was literally dying during the test", the meaning used to be clear (and dire). Now, you have no idea if someone means it literally or figuratively.

Other imposed "rules" seem silly to me. Please, by all means, end a sentence with a preposition if you want to. Seeing such a sentence is something we can all learn from. Without sentences that end in prepositions, who knows where we would all end up? :)

Kevin
Bravo. I couldn’t work in a sentence that ended with a proposition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ribbons United States of America

Post by Ribbons »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:50 pm I'm really starting to get concerned about everyone in social settings. Please tell me you guys are not at parties correcting people's grammar and offering up little factoids no one asked for like Rain Man.
Well, what actually happened earlier this month was that I put on my dressiest outfit in months -- tailored dress, big hat, sparkly high heels -- along with polished nails, makeup, perfume, and ironed mask, to go to Keeneland . . . and then ended up furiously texting dryrunguy a third of the time because the lunatics with me kept wrecking my exacta and trifecta bets with longshot winners that they were picking based on the NAMES, and I had to vent to SOMEBODY who could both understand what I was talking about and relate to that feeling when your perfectly logical, practically fail-safe SP pick goes crashing out thanks to some scrub ranked in the 300s having the match of their life. ;)

ImageAt Keeneland
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:08 am
dmforever wrote:

Kevin

Glad you liked what I came up with. :)

Kevin

Post by meganfernandez »

dmforever wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:10 am
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:08 am
dmforever wrote:

Kevin

Glad you liked what I came up with. :)

Kevin
That's what you're here for.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Assuming everyone is on board to returning to tennis player talk... Latest installment of Elina doesn't look all that recognizable. Second photo in particular would be a mystery to me.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

She has a very promising career as a spy, once her tennis is over. A bit too beautiful (spies should not stick out from the crowd) but her ability to morph into somebody else is truly amazing.
Looks pretty, as always.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I agree about the second picture being the one that would make me think "she looks familiar". The first one made me ask myself if that was her. What a chameleon.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by meganfernandez »

Jaqueline Cristian from Romania getting into the spirit at the Transylvania Open. She beat Juvan in three sets, winning the last two in tiebreaks.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Jaqueline Cristian: instant favorite! That was cool :bat:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem