The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

JTContinental wrote:
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:31 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:24 pm

I don't see why they couldn't be. If they study the game and have the skills why not?
Remember we talked a bit about it? A player like Wozniacki simply would not want to be a coach. You can count out Serena or Venus; they will have much more interesting things to do. Several players will also choose the family route.
Yes, I would like to see more female coaches, but it seems to me women decide to have different lives. Even Mauresmo dropped out of that lifestyle, and went to other venues. If it is their professional choice, be it.
It actually wouldn't surprise me very much if Venus went on to coach.
Based on her love for the game? Maybe in her own academy or limited environment. She loves to compete but she hasn’t shown any interest in teaching (except fitness). She loves business.
JTContinental United States of America

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Post by JTContinental »

That, and her tennis mind. She has always seemed more likely to me than Serena to hang around the scene after retirement (I can maybe see her in the broadcasting booth), with her involvement with the players' association, etc.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

BJK cup captain the moment she raises her hand. That is for sure.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:BJK cup captain the moment she raises her hand. That is for sure.
Sure, if she wanted it. I could see maaaaybe commentating on occasion. It seems to me that Venus doesn’t really embrace the tennis establishment. Whatever she does would be on her terms. Not sure what that would be.
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:26 pm
ponchi101 wrote:BJK cup captain the moment she raises her hand. That is for sure.
Sure, if she wanted it. I could see maaaaybe commentating on occasion. It seems to me that Venus doesn’t really embrace the tennis establishment. Whatever she does would be on her terms. Not sure what that would be.
I think someone like Venus and Serena have earned the right to do whatever they what on their own terms in the tennis world. Same goes for recently retired Ash Barty. If say down the road she decides to work with Aussie kids she can do it on her own terms and not with tennis and Australian Tennis breathing down her neck because she earned that. She can do whatever she wants to do and really she showed the game already that she was going to do just that by retiring at such an early age at the top of her game.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The Ashley Barty Tennis Academy would be an immediate success.
The Ash Barty Tennis and Cricket Academy even more.
The ABT&C would be such an easy think to market, too.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

I think Serena would be much more likely to do commentary
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

JTContinental wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:15 am
I think Serena would be much more likely to do commentary
Both the Williams sisters seem to be really outspoken about a lot of things and especially tennis, but Serena seems even more than Venus.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

so Coco finally has a real, actual coach - Diego Morano.. good to see, she needs one. Patrick M is more like a mentor than a coach.. he has many people to look after, including Halep and Tsitsipas..

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote:so Coco finally has a real, actual coach - Diego Morano.. good to see, she needs one. Patrick M is more like a mentor than a coach.. he has many people to look after, including Halep and Tsitsipas..
Yeah I don’t think Patrick M was ever her coach, was he? She attended his academy. I don’t know if she was his private student. Maybe for a time. Same with Stefanos. Not sure if he was a student or just trains there. Maybe they worked together at times but i never heard that Patrick was his coach.

Holger Rune is another Mouratoglou person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:37 am so Coco finally has a real, actual coach - Diego Morano.. good to see, she needs one. Patrick M is more like a mentor than a coach.. he has many people to look after, including Halep and Tsitsipas..
It's Diego Moyano. He's been coaching Coco since the middle of the clay court season, I posted it about it during the French Open. He previously coached Kevin Anderson.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:14 pm
JTContinental wrote:
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:31 pm

Remember we talked a bit about it? A player like Wozniacki simply would not want to be a coach. You can count out Serena or Venus; they will have much more interesting things to do. Several players will also choose the family route.
Yes, I would like to see more female coaches, but it seems to me women decide to have different lives. Even Mauresmo dropped out of that lifestyle, and went to other venues. If it is their professional choice, be it.
It actually wouldn't surprise me very much if Venus went on to coach.
Based on her love for the game? Maybe in her own academy or limited environment. She loves to compete but she hasn’t shown any interest in teaching (except fitness). She loves business.

No, JT got this right. It wouldn't be surprising if Venus went on to coach and saying she hasn't shown interest in teaching is completely inaccurate. Not exactly a hard thing to know about her if you just follow her off-court in any small way.

Post by JazzNU »

So, I didn't see any mention of this. Is everyone just going to ignore that Dmitry Tursunov looks like he lied to Anett Kontaveit to get out of that coaching agreement in order to coach Emma? Because that sure as hell seems to be the case unless I'm missing something. Clearly there weren't actual visa problems and Anett has the better reputation so I would be hard pressed to think she was lying about the reasons for the split.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:34 pm So, I didn't see any mention of this. Is everyone just going to ignore that Dmitry Tursunov looks like he lied to Anett Kontaveit to get out of that coaching agreement in order to coach Emma? Because that sure as hell seems to be the case unless I'm missing something. Clearly there weren't actual visa problems and Anett has the better reputation so I would be hard pressed to think she was lying about the reasons for the split.
I agree, but because of the war there might have been some public pressure in Estonia to not work with a Russian coach.