The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Post by meganfernandez »

dave g wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 am
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 am Djoko is probably upset because Goran cannot figure out what is wrong with him....my own theory is it is Old Father Time...Kaala as we say in India (btw the verse Oppenheimer read in the movie said 'I am Kaala' not 'I am death'....)
I agree with this analysis. Clerc might be right in saying that Djokovic doesn't plan on retiring anytime soon. However, it is not clear to me that Djokovic will ever truly return to winning majors, nor does Djokovic realize that he is not likely to win majors anymore. That is, just because Djokovic is not planning on retiring anytime soon does not mean that he will not retire anytime soon.
The guy nearly won the Grand Slam last year and avenged the Sinner losses at the Davis Cup. :) You could be right but it has only been a few months. People tend to overreact to a few months of results in tennis. A month ago, people were saying Alcaraz wasn't the same since he won Wimbledon last year. Now he's unbeatable again. If Novak isn't hurt, he will win more.

Maybe Vajda comes back.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

The thing is- Djokovic is such a perfectly tuned machine..when something goes wrong nobody knows what to do because nobody knows how it worked in the first place ..happened with Wilander too...

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote:The thing is- Djokovic is such a perfectly tuned machine..when something goes wrong nobody knows what to do because nobody knows how it worked in the first place ..happened with Wilander too...
He knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Wilander was different. He himself said it: once he reached #1, he had no motivation left. That was the reason that after his annus mirabilis, he never won anything else.
Sure, maybe we have seen the last slam from Novak. But as Megan says, his grand slam draught stands at 1. And he made the semis. So, I would not still count him out in any way.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

Back to Novak: To me, the "red flag" isn't separating from Goran, it is the fact that he withdrew from Miami. If his loss at Indian Wells was just him having a bad day, he should have wanted to play Miami. The fact that he decided to not play Miami suggests to me that he (Novak) thinks that there is a problem with his game. (Either that, or like Mats, he is no longer sufficiently motivated. But I don't believe that.)

The fact that he separated from Goran says that he does not think that Goran knows how to fix the problem. If the problem is just getting older, than there is no fix that I know of.

Post by meganfernandez »

dave g wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 pm Back to Novak: To me, the "red flag" isn't separating from Goran, it is the fact that he withdrew from Miami. If his loss at Indian Wells was just him having a bad day, he should have wanted to play Miami. The fact that he decided to not play Miami suggests to me that he (Novak) thinks that there is a problem with his game. (Either that, or like Mats, he is no longer sufficiently motivated. But I don't believe that.)

The fact that he separated from Goran says that he does not think that Goran knows how to fix the problem. If the problem is just getting older, than there is no fix that I know of.
There could be something a little off with his game, or his body, but I trust him to get it right. He always has before. No guarantee he can but I'd be on him being just fine for awhile.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

dave g wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 pm Back to Novak: To me, the "red flag" isn't separating from Goran, it is the fact that he withdrew from Miami. If his loss at Indian Wells was just him having a bad day, he should have wanted to play Miami. The fact that he decided to not play Miami suggests to me that he (Novak) thinks that there is a problem with his game. (Either that, or like Mats, he is no longer sufficiently motivated. But I don't believe that.)

I said it a long time ago. By now, these three guys went out defeated by time, not by any new generation.
He will hit a wall sometime, as Roger did and Rafa refuses to acknowledge. If it is now, so be it.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Mirra Andreeva is working with Conchita Martinez on a trial basis

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JTContinental wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:13 pm Mirra Andreeva is working with Conchita Martinez on a trial basis
Interesting. I double checked her age. She turns 17 on April 29.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Why doesn't anyone like Andreeva ever use Melanie Moliter? She did OK with her daughter's style of play.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Molitor probably is not interested. I remember she worked a bit with Bencic but not for long.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:10 am Molitor probably is not interested. I remember she worked a bit with Bencic but not for long.
I think working with Bencic would try anyone. Temperamental is the polite way to describe what she shows of her personality on court.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Coco has added Faurel to her coaching team..she had worked with him 4 years ago..he had visa issues so couldn't join her in the US earlier, it seems.