'22 Wimbledon Ladies Draw

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments

Wimbledon 2022. Who takes it (after QF's)

Jabeur (#3)
42%
Halep (#19)
33%
Rybakina (#21)
17%
Anisimova (#25)
No votes
Tomjlanovic (#45)
No votes
Bouzkova (#65)
8%
Niemeier (#97)
No votes
Maria (#105)
No votes

Total votes: 12

dryrunguy

Re: '22 Wimbledon Ladies Draw

Post by dryrunguy »

Suliso wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:25 pm Did we already report that Madison Keys has withdrawn? Shuai Zhang will be #33 seed and Coco Vandeweghe the lucky loser.
Oh for pete's sake... :roll: :roll: :roll:
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:40 pm Don't see any real upset here..unless Kontaveit is still unwell..Yes, Van U can beat Raducanu but if Raducanu is as good as I think she is, it won't happen..
jazzyg wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:01 pm I will take the field since Kerber, Halep, Andreescu and Ostapenko are not on the list.

I favor Jabeur, but collectively those four have a better chance than she does.
Andreescu makes one final and suddenly she is good again?

I would be shocked if any of those players won Wimbledon given their current form, except Jabeur (who might be injured).
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Halep is terminally underrated on grass. Check her record over the past several years. She just reached back-to-back semis in the past two weeks and lost only once.

Ostapenko is a long shot for sure but has reached the Wimbledon semis and quarters, won a lead-up event last year and reached the final of the same tourney this year.

Andreescu you might be right on. We'll see.

And quite frankly, if you'd be shocked by Kerber winning, you haven't been paying attention. I can see your point on the other three even if I disagree, but Kerber almost won Wimbledon LAST YEAR.

The players on the poll are there because of their ranking (with Serena getting the mention because of her history), but Kontaveit, Badosa (although suliso disagrees there), Collins and Pegula are the ones I'd be shocked about if they went deep. Other than Swiatek and Jabeur, I don't see a contender on the list, and I feel reasonably comfortable taking the field over Swiatek and Jabeur.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I went by the rankings because I can't see any clear favorite, and Serena is there because of history, as you say.
I say Swiatek is the favorite, because somebody has to be, and she is #1. But I am talking here a favorite around the 20% mark. And if somebody says even lower, I would not say anything.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

JTContinental wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:54 pm Andreescu makes one final and suddenly she is good again?
She has been building since last year. The R4 vs Sakkari at the US Open was fantastic. Then she started stringing together some wins, then a few more, gaining confidence, staying healthy... so it's possible she's rounding into form on a surface she likes. Tough loss today, after leading a set and a break. Garcia played really well, though. Maybe she is resurgent, too.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I'm going to go with what my daughter says and see who is left standing in the second week.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

patrick wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:51 pm
Deuce wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:43 am Given the recent form of both Raducanu and her first round opponent Van Uytvanck, along with Raducanu's difficulty in actually completing matches, I give Emma a 10% chance - at most - of getting to the second round.

Oh... and there's this, too...
Fresh Injury Fears for Raducanu...

It sounds incredible to say, but thus far (since the U.S. Open), Emma's star has faded even more quickly than Genie's did.
I would not say that yet. Let's wait until next year at this time then judge as Raducanu is still getting the endorsements.
^ I said to this point, Emma's star has faded faster than Genie's - meaning that, comparing Genie's Wimbledon Final (2014) with Emma's U.S. Open win, Genie didn't fall as far or as fast as Emma in the 9 months which followed those events.
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:09 pm
patrick wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:51 pm
Deuce wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:43 am Given the recent form of both Raducanu and her first round opponent Van Uytvanck, along with Raducanu's difficulty in actually completing matches, I give Emma a 10% chance - at most - of getting to the second round.

Oh... and there's this, too...
Fresh Injury Fears for Raducanu...

It sounds incredible to say, but thus far (since the U.S. Open), Emma's star has faded even more quickly than Genie's did.
I would not say that yet. Let's wait until next year at this time then judge as Raducanu is still getting the endorsements.
Not judging is an option, too. :)
^ Actually, 'not judging' is only an option for inanimate objects.
I am all too aware that the plague of 'political correctness' says that 'judging' is the worst crime in the world, and that anyone who judges should be immediately condemned (which, of course, is a judgement in itself, such hypocrisy being the main ingredient of 'political correctness'...).

The fact is that judging and assessing things (including people) is absolute human nature. It is a large part of our survival instinct. It is how we differentiate between our friends and our enemies; it is how we choose our clothing; it is how we choose our favourite cereal; and it is the foundation behind all of our opinions. It is all based on our judgements.
Every human being makes dozens of judgements each and every day. It would be impossible to live without judgements. Without judgements, we would have no opinion on anything. I know that's what the 'political correctness' movement wants - they want no-one to have an opinion of their own, they just want people to 'think' what the P.C. movement tells them to 'think' - but that's not possible, as we are all inherently wired to judge and assess virtually everything.

As but one example... one cannot possibly help another person unless one first judges that the person requires help!
Anyone reading posts on this discussion/message board will find dozens upon dozens of judgements every day - because judging is human nature. Predicting who will win Wimbledon is a judgement. Every perspective and opinion requires a judgement.
So those who claim that they 'don't judge' are stating something that is extremely inaccurate.
And we all judge other people and their behaviour, as well. Otherwise, we are indifferent - we have no opinion at all of them. Because every opinion first requires a judgement.
So people shouldn't be so quick to claim that they are 'non-judgemental' - because absolutely no human being on Earth is 'non-judgemental'.

The important thing is not to 'pre-judge' - that is where the ugly word 'prejudice' comes from. We should ensure that our judgements are made based on as many relevant facts as possible, and not on irrelevant things like skin colour, or shoe size, etc.
Last edited by Deuce on Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Regarding Andreescu...
She did well to get to the Bad Homburg Final - though she obviously got some lucky breaks to get to the Final...

But if she can't win a match when she's up a set and a break and 2 games from winning the title against a player ranked outside of the top 50 - and Andreescu lost 16 of the next 17 points after she got the break in the 2nd set... well, this shows that, while she is at least playing, she is definitely not in championship form.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I am going in the other column in the options above and the other is with Coco Gauff. I do not think she will have an easy road of it either. I think she will have to get past Serena and Swiatek to win this whole thing. I really think it is her time to shine. If she can stay focused she definitely has the ground strokes to get the job done.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Interesting to see Kanepi seeded for the first time in a while, I believe.
Also nice to see Kalinina seeded.
And good to see Canada’s Rebecca Marino get into the main draw on her ranking...

Halep - Muchova 1st round is very intriguing.
As I said previously, there’s a big possibility that Raducanu loses to Van Uytvanck in the 1st round...
It would not surprise me one bit if Bouzkova beats Collins in the 1st round, either...
Haddad Maia could be in tough vs. Juvan...
Zheng should take care of Stephens - but if Sloane decides she’s motivated for this tournament, it could be a very entertaining match.

I’m running out of time to hope that everyone withdraws before the tournament begins! :o :lol:
R.I.P. Amal...

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

What is the last time this player 'other' won a major?!
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:59 am What is the last time this player 'other' won a major?!
Raducanu, 2021 US Open. Didn't exactly have to go that far back. :)

There are just a lot of options this year. And not all of us are ready to take the Latest-Sure-Bet-Swiatek-at-Wimbledon Kool Aid quite yet.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

How about Wimbledon?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

patrick wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:42 am How about Wimbledon?
I gather Bartoli, 2013. She perhaps would have not been included in a poll.
Remember, I have to put OTHER in the polls because the system only allows for ten options. And in 2021, Raducanu was obviously an OTHER, and so was Krejcikova at RG. OTHER has been very successful these last few years (Kenin and Swiatek in 2020).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

'22 Wimbledon Ladies Draw

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote:
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:59 am What is the last time this player 'other' won a major?!
Raducanu, 2021 US Open. Didn't exactly have to go that far back. :)

There are just a lot of options this year. And not all of us are ready to take the Latest-Sure-Bet-Swiatek-at-Wimbledon Kool Aid quite yet.
I didn't go with Other brecause I think it will be one of the people listed. Just not sure which. And "any of those but not Other" wasn't an option. So went with Jabeur.

Regarding when Other won - Iga at the French. Maybe Barty at the French - she was seeded #8. Andreescu, Osaka and Sloane might not have made the poll in their years. Andreescu was coming off the Toronto win and a big year, but it was her first US Open main draw.