(5) Andrey Rublev/Bye
Filip Krajinovic vs Daniel Evans
Frances Tiafoe vs Benjamin Bonzi
(WC) Andy Murray vs (10) Taylor Fritz

(13) Marin Cilic vs (PR) Borna Coric
Francisco Cerundolo vs Karen Khachanov
(WC) Vasek Pospisil vs Tommy Paul
Bye/(2) Carlos Alcaraz
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Re: ATP M1000 Montreal 8/7 - 8/14 2022

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Medvedev could face Nick Kyrgios early in the tournament and that could be tough for him.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Qualifying Draw

(1) Marcos Giron
vsJason Kubler
(Alt) Steven Diez vs (13) Alexei Popyrin

(2) Fabio Fognini vs (Alt) Kelsey Stevenson
(WC) Jaden Weekes vs (10) Daniel Altmaier

(3) Joao Sousa vs Marc-Andrea Huesler
Benoit Paire vs (12) Denis Kudla

(4) James Duckworth vs (WC) Gabriel Diallo
Michael Mmoh vs (8) Hugo Gaston

(5) Adrian Mannarino vs (Alt) Max Purcell
(Alt) Matthew Ebden vs (9) Soonwoo Kwon

(6) Arthur Rinderknech vs (WC) Juan Carlos Aguilar
(WC) Liam Draxl vs (14) Taro Daniel

(7) Quentin Halys vs Ricardas Berankis
(Alt) Roberto Marcora vs (11) Jack Draper
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Apparently Nishioka will be in this segment of the draw.

(9) Cameron Norrie vs Brandon Nakashima
Miomir Kecmanovic vs Botic van de Zandschulp
Qualifier/Special Exempt vs Qualifier/Special Exempt
Bye/(6) Felix Auger-Aliassime

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I went over to watch the qualies (and practises) yesterday...

Saw Michael Mmoh quit after losing the first 3 games to Hugo Gaston. It was obvious from the first game that something was not right with Mmoh.

Mathew Ebden, who is a very good doubles player from Australia - he won Wimbledon doubles this year with Max Purcell -, was serving a basket of balls alone on a court. So, naturally, I asked him if he wants someone to return his serves. He smiled and said “No, thanks.” I said “I could do it.” He said “I’m sure you could - but no, thanks.” (Had he said 'ok', I definitely would have gone on the court with him, as I did with another player some years ago).
Then, about 90 minutes later, he was playing a singles qualifying match vs. Soon-Woo Kwon on the same court. My spot on that court was to stand where the high fence ends, and the low fence begins - because in that spot, I can come and go as I please, not only on changeovers. And it’s right on the baseline at court level, so you get a very good view of the match. And the little receptacles for the players’ towels was right next to me (I can grab one of their towels easily if I want to).

So I was there during Ebden’s match, talking with one of my linesman friends who was there as a ‘Match Assistant’ - basically the person who accompanies the players to the bathroom if they go. There are no line judges this year - it’s all automated (and we saw several very obvious errors on calls).
I was saying something to my linesman friend about one of his colleagues. I said “She’s taking notes.” At that moment, Ebden was getting his towel, so he was about 4 feet away from me, on the court. He heard what I said, and he said to me “She’s taking what?” I looked at him, and he was smiling as he was going to serve.
Then later, he came for his towel again after hitting a nice drop shot, so I said “That was very nice.” He said “Thanks. I need more of that.”
Then another time, he came for his towel and I said to him about his opponent “He’s getting tired” (at this point, I was worried that he might get a warning for 'coaching' because of our little in-match conversations). He said to me “Why is it so humid here?” I smiled and said “This is nothing compared to last Thursday.” He smiled and said “That doesn’t help me.”
Nice guy. But he lost the match in straight sets, despite having set points in the 2nd.

Saw Taylor Fritz hitting with his coach Michael Russell while only a handful of people were watching. Russell is a former player - kind of a ‘journeyman’, firmly established between #50 and #100. Very hard working player. And a very nice guy. At one tournament about 10 years ago, I noticed he was thanking the ball kids every time they brought him his towel. So after the match, I made a point of telling him that I appreciate that. He said “Yeah, well they do a lot to help us, so they deserve to be thanked. Some players treat them like crap - I won’t mention any names like Andy Roddick...”

They played the annual hockey game on court #2 - ATP players vs. NHL players. As they were setting up the game, I saw Hubert Hurkacz and Alex Molcan with Marian Vajda (former Djokovic coach). Vajda was really interested and excited about the hockey game. Molcan seemed to have trouble deciding if he was a right-handed or left-handed shot.
I didn’t see the hockey game, as I preferred to watch some tennis... but I saw Emil Ruusuvuori walking back to the locker rooms after the game (still with his hockey stick in hand) and I asked him if they (ATP) won. He laughed and said “No”. I think the ATP has won only 1 of these annual hockey games over the years.

Ended the day watching the last set of Purcell vs. Mannarino. That was interesting, as they were both throwing lots of ‘junk’ at each other - slicing many forehands, etc. (and I use the word ‘junk’ in the most affectionate manner possible). It was most certainly NOT a baseline bashing affair. It was nice to see, and enjoyable to watch. Mannarino won the match in the end, taking the 2nd set tiebreak.
R.I.P. Amal...
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." ~ Oscar Wilde

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:37 am I went over to watch the qualies (and practises) yesterday...

Saw Michael Mmoh quit after losing the first 3 games to Hugo Gaston. It was obvious from the first game that something was not right with Mmoh.

Mathew Ebden, who is a very good doubles player from Australia - he won Wimbledon doubles this year with Max Purcell -, was serving a basket of balls alone on a court. So, naturally, I asked him if he wants someone to return his serves. He smiled and said “No, thanks.” I said “I could do it.” He said “I’m sure you could - but no, thanks.” (Had he said 'ok', I definitely would have gone on the court with him, as I did with another player some years ago).
Then, about 90 minutes later, he was playing a singles qualifying match vs. Soon-Woo Kwon on the same court. My spot on that court was to stand where the high fence ends, and the low fence begins - because in that spot, I can come and go as I please, not only on changeovers. And it’s right on the baseline at court level, so you get a very good view of the match. And the little receptacles for the players’ towels was right next to me (I can grab one of their towels easily if I want to).

So I was there during Ebden’s match, talking with one of my linesman friends who was there as a ‘Match Assistant’ - basically the person who accompanies the players to the bathroom if they go. There are no line judges this year - it’s all automated (and we saw several very obvious errors on calls).
I was saying something to my linesman friend about one of his colleagues. I said “She’s taking notes.” At that moment, Ebden was getting his towel, so he was about 4 feet away from me, on the court. He heard what I said, and he said to me “She’s taking what?” I looked at him, and he was smiling as he was going to serve.
Then later, he came for his towel again after hitting a nice drop shot, so I said “That was very nice.” He said “Thanks. I need more of that.”
Then another time, he came for his towel and I said to him about his opponent “He’s getting tired” (at this point, I was worried that he might get a warning for 'coaching' because of our little in-match conversations). He said to me “Why is it so humid here?” I smiled and said “This is nothing compared to last Thursday.” He smiled and said “That doesn’t help me.”
Nice guy. But he lost the match in straight sets, despite having set points in the 2nd.

Saw Taylor Fritz hitting with his coach Michael Russell while only a handful of people were watching. Russell is a former player - kind of a ‘journeyman’, firmly established between #50 and #100. Very hard working player. And a very nice guy. At one tournament about 10 years ago, I noticed he was thanking the ball kids every time they brought him his towel. So after the match, I made a point of telling him that I appreciate that. He said “Yeah, well they do a lot to help us, so they deserve to be thanked. Some players treat them like crap - I won’t mention any names like Andy Roddick...”

They played the annual hockey game on court #2 - ATP players vs. NHL players. As they were setting up the game, I saw Hubert Hurkacz and Alex Molcan with Marian Vajda (former Djokovic coach). Vajda was really interested and excited about the hockey game. Molcan seemed to have trouble deciding if he was a right-handed or left-handed shot.
I didn’t see the hockey game, as I preferred to watch some tennis... but I saw Emil Ruusuvuori walking back to the locker rooms after the game (still with his hockey stick in hand) and I asked him if they (ATP) won. He laughed and said “No”. I think the ATP has won only 1 of these annual hockey games over the years.

Ended the day watching the last set of Purcell vs. Mannarino. That was interesting, as they were both throwing lots of ‘junk’ at each other - slicing many forehands, etc. (and I use the word ‘junk’ in the most affectionate manner possible). It was most certainly NOT a baseline bashing affair. It was nice to see, and enjoyable to watch. Mannarino won the match in the end, taking the 2nd set tiebreak.
That sounds like an awesome day of watching tennis and interacting with tennis players.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

After the second round Medvedev/Kyrgios match, we may need a "2022 Face Smashing Thread"...

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

dryrunguy wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:12 pm After the second round Medvedev/Kyrgios match, we may need a "2022 Face Smashing Thread"...
That is gonna be one epic match for the tournament.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Luca Fiorino
@FiorinoLuca
·
2m
Translated from Italian by Google
Jannik #Sinner will face the winner of the match between the qualifiers Arthur Rinderknech and Adrian Mannarino in the second round.

Fabio #Fognini , promoted by the qualifiers, instead fished Holger Rune.

#Montreal #OBN22 🇨🇦

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Monday, August 08, 2022 Day 3

Court Central Starts At 12:00 Noon

(PR) Stan Wawrinka VS Emil Ruusuvuori
Not Before 2:00 Pm
(WC) Andy Murray VS (10) Taylor Fritz
Not Before 6:30 Pm
Denis Shapovalov VS Alex de Minaur
Followed By
(12) Diego Schwartzman
VS Alejandro Davidovich Fokina

Court Rogers Starts At 12:00 Noon

Francisco Cerundolo VS Karen Khachanov
Followed By
Alexander Bublik VS Jenson Brooksby
Followed By
(Q) Hugo Gaston VS (Q) Jack Draper
Not Before 6:30 Pm
(Q) Marcos Giron VS (14) Roberto Bautista Agut
Followed By
(Q) Fabio Fognini VS Holger Rune

Court 9 Starts At 12:00 Noon

Alex Molcan VS Mackenzie McDonald
Followed By
Grigor Dimitrov/Andrey Rublev VS Matthew Ebden/Max Purcell
Not Before 3:30 Pm
Benjamin Bonzi/Gael Monfils VS (WC) Vasek Pospisil/Jannik Sinner
Followed By
(Q) Adrian Mannarino VS (Q) Arthur Rinderknech

Court 5 Not Before 1:00 Pm

(6) Tim Puetz/Michael Venus
VS Hubert Hurkacz/Jan Zielinski
Followed By
Jamie Murray/Bruno Soares VS Daniel Evans/John Peers
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

The forecast calls for significant rain tomorrow.
R.I.P. Amal...
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." ~ Oscar Wilde

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »