VS TBD
Not Before 7:30 Pm
SF
(1) Novak Djokovic VS (5) Casper Ruud
Followed By
SF
(3) Nikola Mektic/Mate Pavic VS Simone Bolelli/Fabio Fognini

Pietrangeli Starts At 12:00 Noon

Veronika Kudermetova/Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova VS (3) Desirae Krawczyk/Demi Schuurs
Followed By
(6) Lucie Hradecka/Sania Mirza
VS (2) Gabriela Dabrowski/Giuliana Olmos
Not Before 5:00 Pm
SF
John Isner/Diego Schwartzman VS Andrey Golubev/Maximo Gonzalez
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Re: ATP M1000 WTA 1000 Roma 5/8 - 5/15 2022

Post by ashkor87 »

Deuce wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:36 am
ashkor87 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:44 am
Deuce wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:15 am Yes - everyone "NEEDS A COACH" or "NEEDS A DIFFERENT COACH" every time they lose a match.
It's really getting old...

On a much more important note, I hope you all appreciated the fact that Nadal played out the match vs. Shapovalov, even though he was clearly hurting, clearly playing at about 50%, and that him losing the match was a foregone conclusion for the entire 3rd set.
But he DID NOT QUIT.
This is what true pride and respect for the tournament organizers, respect for the fans, respect for his opponent, respect for his peers, and respect for the sport, looks like.
We can only hope that many other players - who far too easily quit - take note of this wonderful example of pride and respect.
if my posts are 'getting old' please dont read them.. thank you
No... I'll comment as I wish.
If you post something, everyone is free to comment on it - that's the purpose of a discussion board. Not all comments will be in agreement with your perspective. That's just part of life.

To elaborate... Too many people (you among them) seem to think that getting a coach, or changing a coach, is some kind of magical solution - despite there being precious little evidence of this. There is more evidence to the contrary.
Yes, sometimes it works in team sports, where a new coach comes in, and the team feels renewed and motivated, and plays better... for a week or two. Then it's often back to the same level.

In tennis, coaching is very different than in team sports. It is a one-on-one relationship. There needs to be mutual trust... There needs to be 'chemistry' between the two... There needs to be a mutual understanding... There are no teammates to act as a 'buffer' - it's one-on-one. Therefore, for it to work, it must be a perfect fit. If it's not, there is a very real risk of the coach doing more harm than good.

And so - no - 'getting a coach', or 'getting a new coach' is not a magical solution.

Further, you are often critical of Cori Gauff. She just recently turned 18 years old. Why are you expecting her to do better than she's doing? Is she a 'failure' in your eyes because she hasn't won a Major yet?
She's ranked 15th in the world - and that is not from one big tournament like Leylah and Emma... with Gauff, it's the result of a more steady, consistent output.

#15 in the world, and you expect more somehow. When she loses, your refrain of "She needs a coach" appears. But when she wins, I don't believe you comment - or, if you do, I don't recall any positive comments about her from you - only disappointment, criticism, and 'advice' when she loses (if I'm mistaken, please point me to your positive comments about her).
Will you continue your criticisms and expressing your utter disappointment in her - and 'advising' her - for as long as she does not reach - and remain - the #1 player in the world?

She is doing fine. Her progress is healthy. There is no reason to rush her. There is no reason to panic.
There is no problem here.
Yes, i welcome your comments but not your rudeness.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

26 straight wins for Swiatek. That's tied with Azarenka (2012) for the 4th longest streak in the 21st century.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ashkor87 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:21 am
Deuce wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:36 am
ashkor87 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:44 am

if my posts are 'getting old' please dont read them.. thank you
No... I'll comment as I wish.
If you post something, everyone is free to comment on it - that's the purpose of a discussion board. Not all comments will be in agreement with your perspective. That's just part of life.

To elaborate... Too many people (you among them) seem to think that getting a coach, or changing a coach, is some kind of magical solution - despite there being precious little evidence of this. There is more evidence to the contrary.
Yes, sometimes it works in team sports, where a new coach comes in, and the team feels renewed and motivated, and plays better... for a week or two. Then it's often back to the same level.

In tennis, coaching is very different than in team sports. It is a one-on-one relationship. There needs to be mutual trust... There needs to be 'chemistry' between the two... There needs to be a mutual understanding... There are no teammates to act as a 'buffer' - it's one-on-one. Therefore, for it to work, it must be a perfect fit. If it's not, there is a very real risk of the coach doing more harm than good.

And so - no - 'getting a coach', or 'getting a new coach' is not a magical solution.

Further, you are often critical of Cori Gauff. She just recently turned 18 years old. Why are you expecting her to do better than she's doing? Is she a 'failure' in your eyes because she hasn't won a Major yet?
She's ranked 15th in the world - and that is not from one big tournament like Leylah and Emma... with Gauff, it's the result of a more steady, consistent output.

#15 in the world, and you expect more somehow. When she loses, your refrain of "She needs a coach" appears. But when she wins, I don't believe you comment - or, if you do, I don't recall any positive comments about her from you - only disappointment, criticism, and 'advice' when she loses (if I'm mistaken, please point me to your positive comments about her).
Will you continue your criticisms and expressing your utter disappointment in her - and 'advising' her - for as long as she does not reach - and remain - the #1 player in the world?

She is doing fine. Her progress is healthy. There is no reason to rush her. There is no reason to panic.
There is no problem here.
Yes, i welcome your comments but not your rudeness.
Oh, well.

If saying that something which is repeated several times is "getting old" is considered 'rude' to you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin.
I suppose you'll consider that 'rude', too. And then I can consider you calling me 'rude' to be even more 'rude' than my 'getting old' comment, as your comment is directed at me personally, whereas mine was directed at your comment. And around and around it goes.
But I won't do that. Because I give you full permission to make any comment you wish about me or about the content of my posts here... And I won't tell you that you have no right to make the comment, nor will I tell you not to read my comments if you don't like or agree with them.
Agree or disagree with me as much as you like - in any way you wish. It's all fine with me. And, if I feel to, I will respond (as I am now). And that's fine, too.

There are many things in life which are objectionable. Someone saying that the repetition of the same comment over and over is "getting old" doesn't even register on the scale.

Now how about commenting on my comments regarding Cori Gauff - a subject you initiated and I followed up on?
I'm open to having a discussion on that subject...
R.I.P. Amal...
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." ~ Oscar Wilde
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

After 3 consecutive breaks in the first 3 games, Swiatek left Sabalenka in the dust - 6-2 first set.
And she opened the 2nd set with a break...
It looks like this is going to be another quick one.
R.I.P. Amal...
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." ~ Oscar Wilde
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

#27 came easier than expected. I'll be very surprised if she doesn't win this title.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

It's really a pity Barty retired so unexpectedly. Would have been exciting to watch those two fight for the dominance.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:48 pm It's really a pity Barty retired so unexpectedly. Would have been exciting to watch those two fight for the dominance.
Yes. Perhaps we were robbed of a very good rivalry.
I would say that by now this streak is one of the sports great achievements. It has covered two surfaces (hards and clay), and, as you say, it is now entering the realm of "the longest in...". Not only that. It has also been the way she has beat her opponents. Today, again, she plastered her opponent with a 6-1 set.
Of course, Martina's 76-straight record is safe. It is becoming one of those records that may never be broken (with an asterisk; never is a very long time). But now the crucial thing comes into mind. I really can't see Kasatkina beating her tomorrow. I will give Jabeur a 25& chance because she is crafty. That means that for her to win RG she will have to extend this streak to 35 matches, which is undeniably very difficult. She has to drop level at one time.
My god, it's full of stars!
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

35 just happens to be the longest streak of the century (Venus Williams 2000)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Good datum. It would make it very fitting if Iga wins RG.
I would be concerned in that I remember that summer in which Agassi won everything leading to the USO and then Sampras beat him there. Of course, it was Sampras at the USO and Iga will not face anybody at RG with such credentials, but if somebody gets hot there...
Anyway, by now I am having serious doubts of picking SOMEONE ELSE in my poll once we start the RG Players' Draw. She is looking very solid.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Centre court in Rome has got to be the second worst court to show a tennis match on TV, Hamburg with the roof open being the first. The shadows are a frigging nightmare if you don't have an HD tv.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Even if you do have one, it's not great. :(

Kevin
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Jabeur is also on a winning streak. One of those will come to the end tomorrow.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I think you would agree Ons' streak is in way more danger. We know the stats: Iga is on a 7 Finals win streak too, not having lost one set there. And in those 14 sets, there have been three 6-4, all in the first set of the match. All other sets have been 2, 1 & 0.
I am thinking that if she wins tomorrow, the poll for the RG draw will be "Who does Iga beat in the final?" It may be that lopsided.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Yes of course. However all streaks come to an end. I give some chance (30%?) to Ons.