National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by ti-amie »

I will post this though...

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Memphis Police Disbands Unit Whose Officers Were Charged in Tyre Nichols’s Death
Mr. Nichols’s family and activists had demanded the scuttling of the group, the Scorpion unit, which patrolled high-crime areas of the city.

By Rick Rojas
Jan. 28, 2023, 5:42 p.m. ET

MEMPHIS — The Memphis Police Department said on Saturday that it had disbanded a specialized group of officers known as the Scorpion unit after five of its members were charged with second-degree murder in the death of Tyre Nichols, a 29-year-old Black man who was shown on video being kicked, struck and pepper-sprayed by officers.

Mr. Nichols’s family and activists in the city had demanded that the Police Department dismantle the unit, which deployed officers to patrol higher-crime areas of the city and had drawn scorn in the communities it served in even before Mr. Nichols’s death this month.

“It is in the best interest of all to permanently deactivate the Scorpion unit,” the Police Department said in a statement on Saturday, saying the decision had been reached after “listening intently to the family of Tyre Nichols, community leaders and the uninvolved officers who have done quality work in their assignments.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/28/us/s ... chols.html
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Venezuela had a "Grupo Gato" (the Cat Group). Operated completely outside the law. Was disbanded, nothing ever happened to any of its members or the politicians that ran it.
Don't let that happen.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

For anyone that does not want to watch the video, but wants to be remained informed about what occurred, this is a good article to read (stop the videos on the site, they typically autoplay). You can read the entire article of course, but the second half of the article details what occurs in the video and it's an informative overview.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/mem ... s-96740973

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

My uninformed opinion:
Disband. Suspend. Try. Convict. Fire. Send to prison.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:41 pm
It's not as fun to parade the one white cop when you can parade 5 black cops in hopes that everyone will now believe there's no targeting men of color by the police because look, black cops killed a black man.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Van Jones wrote a really compelling piece a few days back about the impact of racism and anti-blackness on Black folks, including Black police officers.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/27/opinions ... index.html

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:02 am Van Jones wrote a really compelling piece a few days back about the impact of racism and anti-blackness on Black folks, including Black police officers.

I'm not saying don't read it, I'm sure it could be insightful for some, but uh, Van Jones? Not the messenger most black people want FYI.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The last trial jury I sat on was a case involving a young black man, late 20's, early 30's, who was arrested for participating in a crime it soon became obvious he didn't commit and was not involved in. In fact he was running away from the police and had no record. The arresting officer, a black officer, was forced to admit on the stand that he arrested the man because he made him run after him. We the jury got a nice lunch out of it. I have never understood how that case made it all the way to trial.

I've read that one of the now fired officers pepper sprayed himself and decided it was Tyre's fault.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:30 am
dryrunguy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:02 am Van Jones wrote a really compelling piece a few days back about the impact of racism and anti-blackness on Black folks, including Black police officers.

I'm not saying don't read it, I'm sure it could be insightful for some, but uh, Van Jones? Not the messenger most black people want FYI.
I totally respect that and think I understand where you're coming from. I'm just saying I thought he made some really good points that might help people, especially white people, unpack and unlearn the narrative we're typically being fed on this subject.

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:15 am
JazzNU wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:30 am

I totally respect that and think I understand where you're coming from. I'm just saying I thought he made some really good points that might help people, especially white people, unpack and unlearn the narrative we're typically being fed on this subject.
I understand that part. To me, Van is doing a little too much in that article from the quick skim I gave it. It's not bad though and it's better than nothing. Just pointing out, he's a flawed messenger to put it mildly and certainly don't take his word for gospel on a regular basis, especially with how often he acts like he's speaking for all black people when he speaks for very few. One of the first things I saw posted after news broke that the video would be released were many tweets saying "Dear CNN, we do not want to see Van Jones tonight, Signed, Black People."

I'll post something from someone else on the matter. He also makes it much simpler.

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Thanks for that, Jazz.

Isn't there also something to be said about how quickly the Black cops were fired and charged in comparison to their white predecessors who committed similar crimes?

There are a lot of layers to this. And I hope not one of those layers gets lost.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »