World News Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: World News Random, Random

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:02 pm The Etonians didn't even think about how Brexit would affect Ireland. And here we are.
Sorry, you lost me there, Ti. Who are the Etonians? I know about how Brexit was going to affect N.Ireland and Ireland, but, no clue about "The Etonians".
My god, it's full of stars!
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:15 pm
ti-amie wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:02 pm The Etonians didn't even think about how Brexit would affect Ireland. And here we are.
Sorry, you lost me there, Ti. Who are the Etonians? I know about how Brexit was going to affect N.Ireland and Ireland, but, no clue about "The Etonians".
Brexit was/is an idea hatched by a bunch of people who attended the posh Eton College. Boris Johnson attended the school.
Eton College is a public school in Eton, Berkshire, England. It was founded in 1440 by Henry VI under the name Kynge's College of Our Ladye of Eton besyde Windesore, intended as a sister institution to King's College, Cambridge, making it the 18th-oldest Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference school. Wikipedia
Address: Windsor SL4 6DW, United Kingdom
Phone: +44 1753 370100
School fees: £48,501 per year; US$68,244 per year
Eton has educated prime ministers, world leaders, Nobel laureates, Academy Award and BAFTA award-winning actors, and generations of the aristocracy, having been referred to as "the nurse of England's statesmen." The school is the largest boarding school in England ahead of Millfield and Oundle.

Eton College - Wikipedia
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I don't know if to put this in the Ukraine War topic.
Finland has decided to join NATO ASAP. Exactly what Russia said they were fighting against: to avoid the expansion of European influence in the region.
Now, Russia has said it will retaliate severely. I already read one article saying that Russia will cut gas supplies to Finland as early as tomorrow. With that weather, that would not be without consequences. And Medvedev (Russian PM) has again talked openly about using Nukes.
This gets really scary once again. If Sweden follows Finland, and they should, it is basically a new World Cold War, with the possibility of getting hot in a flash.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

In a 'What in hell is happening?'moment, four female journalists have been murdered this week - 1 in Chile, 2 in Mexico, and 1 in Israel.
Not killed by bombs that exploded near them - at least 3 of the 4 were deliberate, targeted murders.

Three Female Journalists Killed...

Chilean Reporter Dies From Gunshot...

And, in yet one more example of there being huge errors made in the creation of the human animal, this is what occurred at the funeral procession of one of the murdered journalists...

R.I.P. Amal...
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." ~ Oscar Wilde
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

For the last few days, my news feed has been showing me a few articles claiming that Putin has cancer "and some other diseases". Has anybody else seen this? He does look different, although one thing that I remember from my brother's disease is how much weight he lost and a peculiar frail look. Putin looks more like bloated, to me.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The subject has popped up on my Twitter time line but I don't know if it's disinformation or real. There's also been a bit of a focus on his private life lately too. Again, I don't know whether to trust it or not.