Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:12 am
Perhaps an even more curious part is that this Pavel Bure is a grand grandfather of the famous hockey player Pavel Bure.
And I assumed this was where this story was heading. Think Valeri probably looks a bit more like the great grandfather than Pavel does.

Great that you were able to find out more about your family heirloom.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I was doing some research for one of my non tennis interests and found out that there is a very famous Icon created by a man named Andrey (Andrei) Rublev who was active in the 14th -15th centuries.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

Don't believe this was posted yet

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Christo and Damien Hirst were the last proof I needed that I know nothing about art. Don't get it.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:23 pm I was doing some research for one of my non tennis interests and found out that there is a very famous Icon created by a man named Andrey (Andrei) Rublev who was active in the 14th -15th centuries.
Yup, he's the most famous icon painter and especially well-known after his life was a subject of a 1966 film named "Andrey Rublev" by one of the Soviet master directors, Andrey Tarkovsky (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Rublev_(film)). It usually appears on film critics' "best of 20th century" lists.

If you want to go down a rabbit hole, the screenwriter of that film comes from a prominent artistic family and mostly wrote/directed art films or dramas, but he also worked in the US for a while and directed Tango and Cash, his brother won an Oscar for a film about Stalinism but is now a Putin ally, and their father was a prominent children's writer that also wrote the lyrics to the Soviet anthem.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:31 pm Christo and Damien Hirst were the last proof I needed that I know nothing about art. Don't get it.
Think you probably just don't like large scale public installations and art about death (shocking!). Appreciating some, but not all of art doesn't mean you don't get the medium as a whole. Art, like, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

This is not one of the better installations from them imho.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:02 pm ...

Think you probably just don't like large scale public installations and art about death (shocking!). Appreciating some, but not all of art doesn't mean you don't get the medium as a whole. Art, like, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

This is not one of the better installations from them imho.
Art about death. In Venezuela there used to be a newspaper/tabloid called "Cronica Policial" (easy enough to need translation). It was basically 30 odd pages of gore and police stories, but REAL ones. It was rather graphic, too.
One day I went to the National Art Gallery and they had an exhibition about a rather unknown artist. I walked in and noticed that there were very few people there. I started to check the pieces and then it hit me. This guy was taking shots from Cronica Policial and turning them into large pieces, where the color red was prevalent. His depictions of blood and mutilations were a bit too much; that was the reason people were not there (it was too much for some). I felt it was sublime. It was gory indeed, but it was also artistic.
Long story to say that I mind not one bit art about death. For all my money, if we could only save one painting by Goya, it would be Saturn devouring his son. And Hyeronimous Bosch is a favorite. :)

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I would've packed up his stuff and had it waiting for him on the sidewalk.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:48 pm I would've packed up his stuff and had it waiting for him on the sidewalk.
Minus $3k worth of his belongings before putting it on the street. Sneaky bastard doesn't get to keep that.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

They declare you HUSBAND AND WIFE, not HUSBAND AND WIFE INC. You got married, not issued an IPO.
Two things that married people should never share: bank accounts, and the bathroom.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is a bit tricky.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Sit her in with the kids or the friends of friends table.

She would not be in my wedding party at all.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:15 am Two things that married people should never share: bank accounts, and the bathroom.
Sorry, nope, can't agree with you on bank accounts. Barring second marriages or people coming in already with large sums of money and keeping that separate, I do believe in couples setting up joint accounts and fully sharing everything. This assumes both parties are sane and without criminal tendencies. Everyone is different and it may not work for all, but I would never unequivocally say that married people shouldn't share bank accounts.

Agree with you on bathrooms.