College Basketball Thread

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
JTContinental United States of America

Re: March Madness 2021

Post by JTContinental »

And that's why Gonzaga should play in a major conference. They were not ready for a truly elite team because they hadn't played one all year.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

JTContinental wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:14 am And that's why Gonzaga should play in a major conference. They were not ready for a truly elite team because they hadn't played one all year.
Kansas, Iowa, West Virginia, and Virginia - all top 15 teams - not good enough for you?
Last edited by ptmcmahon on Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
:steven:

Post by JTContinental »

ptmcmahon wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:08 am
JTContinental wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:14 am And that's why Gonzaga should play in a major conference. They were not ready for a truly elite team because they hadn't played one all year.
Kansas, Iowa, West Virginia, and Virginia - all top 15 teams - not good enough for you?
I don't think any of those teams were elite this year, as evidenced by their early tournament exits
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Finishing in the top 15 is invalidated by an early tournament loss? Virginia and Kansas I think both had COVID issues in the tournament so not surprising they didn't go deep. Was Gonzaga supposed to predict who would go deep in the tournament when making their non conference schedule? Seems they tried to have some good games there at least, more than some other years. I don't think losing to what looks like a very good Baylor team (maybe the #1 team if you take out a couple Covid losses) means Gonazga wasn't ready.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

The commentators had to admit last night after hyping Gonzaga on a near constant basis this season and then doing a whole lot of cheering on a Gonzaga comeback in this game and last, that Baylor playing in the conference they do and being challenged game after game by the programs they are forced to play had them ready for this (they had to do the same in the UCLA game). Left unsaid was that Gonzaga doesn't have that kind of conference, but it was clear they were thinking it. Gonzaga isn't an undefeated team going into last night if they are in a Power 5 conference and that became very clear in the last two games.

I don't think Gonzaga should play in a major conference though. I can't think of a good reason for any of them to extend an offer to Gonzaga for admission and it sure as hell shouldn't be the Pac 10. I think they should look into forming a new conference of Western and Mountain teams, like a West Coast version of the basketball Big East. Eventually, maybe it will be thought of as a power conference, but for now, I think focusing on building a stronger mid-major would serve them well. 20 point blowouts over much lesser competition in 18 out of 22 games is rarely going to lead to winning the National Championship. They should be very happy they got as far as they did this season. They've been in a similar situation in other years recently and didn't make it out of the first 3 rounds.

Can Gonzaga pull off forming a new conference? Not sure. Speaking from experience here, it's not typically just about the sport or sports, but about the universities themselves. I don't know what Gonzaga's connections are like with other universities.

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JTContinental »

ptmcmahon wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:10 pm Finishing in the top 15 is invalidated by an early tournament loss? Virginia and Kansas I think both had COVID issues in the tournament so not surprising they didn't go deep. Was Gonzaga supposed to predict who would go deep in the tournament when making their non conference schedule? Seems they tried to have some good games there at least, more than some other years. I don't think losing to what looks like a very good Baylor team (maybe the #1 team if you take out a couple Covid losses) means Gonazga wasn't ready.
I wouldn't say "invalidated," but it counts for a lot. Of those 4 teams, only Iowa (13) finished in the top 15 in the final coaches' poll today based on those losses

Post by JTContinental »

Coach K has announced he's retiring after this upcoming season. Former Duke player Jon Scheyer will be succeeding him.

Re: College Basketball Thread

Post by JazzNU »

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Never heard of UC Riverside. I don't know if ASU is supposed to be good this year or not but sounds like it should be quite the upset.
KLow23 Barbados

Post by KLow23 »

kinda hoping duke take a few years off here and some other schools get to distribute their recruiting. feel like some institutionally good team waste players on the bench because their recruitment is so attractive to 3-4 star dudes.

Post by JTContinental »

Too early in the season for me to bump this? At least they scheduled some good pre-season matchups this year.
KLow23 Barbados

Post by KLow23 »

never liked gonzaga because of this. nevermind what they do in march they just beat up on teams and double their scores during the season.

Post by JazzNU »

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Dropping dead right on the court!

I understand people having different opinions about the vaccine, but ... how do you say something obviously completely false like this?