Horse Racing Random

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
dryrunguy

Re: Horse Racing Random

Post by dryrunguy »

Received word today that Rock Along is being pointed to The Colleen Stakes at Monmouth the first week of August. This will be on dirt. [CORRECTION: The Colleen is run on turf, $75K in purse.] 5.5 furlongs.

Stakes. I've never had a horse run in a stakes races. :freaking: :freaking: :freaking:
Last edited by dryrunguy on Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribbons United States of America

Post by Ribbons »

ROCK ON, ROCK ALONG!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

dryrunguy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:00 am Received word today that Rock Along is being pointed to The Colleen Stakes at Monmouth the first week of August. This will be on dirt. 5.5 furlongs.

Stakes. I've never had a horse run in a stakes races. :freaking: :freaking: :freaking:
You know I really do not understand this world. How is that different from a "regular" race? :?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:07 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:00 am Received word today that Rock Along is being pointed to The Colleen Stakes at Monmouth the first week of August. This will be on dirt. 5.5 furlongs.

You know I really do not understand this world. How is that different from a "regular" race? :?
It's a big difference. If a horse wins or places (2nd or 3rd) in a Grade 1, 2, or 3 stakes race, their value significantly increases. And so does the potential value of their progeny when they go to the sales ring or are available for private purchase.

Winning or placing in a non-graded stakes race, which is what The Colleen Stakes will be, also increases the horse's value and the potential value of their progeny, just not as much as a graded stakes race. Performing well in a non-graded stakes race could also open the door to competing at the Grade 3 stakes level, maybe even Grade 2.

Think of it as "climbing the class ladder"...
Ribbons United States of America

Post by Ribbons »

"Regular" race = ITF 15s/25s
Non-graded stakes = Challengers/ ITF 60-100
Graded stakes = main tours
Breeders' Cup = Indian Wells
Triple Crown races = majors

;-)
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Essential Quality ran a very smart race. I'm surprised the place finisher hung on. He was spent.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Ribbons wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:23 am "Regular" race = ITF 15s/25s
Non-graded stakes = Challengers/ ITF 60-100
Graded stakes = main tours
Breeders' Cup = Indian Wells
Triple Crown races = majors

;-)
Well explained!
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:56 am Essential Quality ran a very smart race. I'm surprised the place finisher hung on. He was spent.
Yeah, I thought Hot Rod Charlie was incredibly impressive in that race. He did everything BUT win.

BTW, Hot Rod Charlie is jointly owned by Spendthrift and a group of five former college football players. One of those five guys in the group is the nephew of Doug O'Neill, trainer of Hot Rod Charlie. He was a $110K purchase (by O'Neill) as a yearling. That's cheap by thoroughbred standards (though still far too rich for me and most people).
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

dryrunguy wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:53 pm Meanwhile, Danceswithbourbon will return to the races on Tuesday (June 8). It will be a 6-furlong optional claiming race on the dirt at Indiana Grand, so we'll have to wait to see what the track condition will be on race day. She will be the #5 horse in a field of 7. Total purse money available is $32,500.

We're taking a chance with this race. DWB WILL be in for the claiming tag at $50K. Taking this risk will give her more opportunities to run in more desirable races at Ellis Park, Churchill, and Kentucky Downs (grass) this summer and fall simply because she was once eligible for a claim in a prior race. Race conditions are super complicated, and I have a helluva time figuring it out, but the bottom line is that we're having a very difficult time finding races where she is eligible to run without being completely over her head in terms of class at this stage of her development or being in for a cheaper tag.

Our fearless leader, Matt, did some digging and learned that, so far this year, no horse at Indiana Grand has been claimed for more than $10K. So that is the main reason why we're willing to risk the claim. That said, Indiana Grand has trainers like Brad Cox, Steve Asmussen, and Tom Amoss who also have very deep pockets and are very successful at the claiming game, so that makes me nervous.

The field looks pretty tough in spite of the fact that a few of the fillies haven't raced in a few months while a few others are coming off a really bad, head-scratching performance (including a daughter of California Chrome). But as we've seen already, with inexperienced horses, anything can happen.
The track at Indiana Grand is listed as sloppy today. That MIGHT be a good thing. Some of the Outwork babies have really liked an off track. But I'm looking at the track right now. It doesn't look that bad. I'd actually rate it as good (a step below fast) or muddy (a step above sloppy). Post time is 5:32 EST. Fingers crossed.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

dryrunguy wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:03 pm The track at Indiana Grand is listed as sloppy today. That MIGHT be a good thing. Some of the Outwork babies have really liked an off track. But I'm looking at the track right now. It doesn't look that bad. I'd actually rate it as good (a step below fast) or muddy (a step above sloppy). Post time is 5:32 EST. Fingers crossed.
That didn't go well. DWB broke slowly, was last, rushed up to take fourth, looked like she was going to get third, and then got passed by the two horses she had just passed. Finished 5th out of 6.

I'm not sure we can say she doesn't like an off track. (It really WAS sloppy on second thought.) She really lost the race at the break. And the winner, the Brad Cox horse with a big class edge, was just much the best. Everyone else in the race was running for the spoils Patty H left behind.

I hope we can get her away from Indiana Grand ASAP. After a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th, DWB needs a change of scenery.

One fun fact: DWB was the only horse in the race that was bigger than her lead pony. LOL! She really IS a monster. :)
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

We have a name for the Euclid partnership's new 2-year-old colt. I introduce... Unified Dreams! (Unless the jockey club rejects it for some reason [e.g., already taken]).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

He is so beautiful!
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I can report that a slew of owners over the past few weeks have pulled their horses out of Bob Baffert's training barn. Adding to the list just today, Charlatan has been retired to stud, and Life is Good has been moved to Todd Pletcher's barn, which has been the general trend for owners. Lots of owners are bailing on Baffert and moving to Pletcher instead.

I guess it's no longer a guaranteed Californian elite social status symbol to casually mention at dinner parties and other gatherings that you own a horse being trained by Bob Baffert.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Isn't the Preakness winner's trainer in California? I'd think some would choose his barn for relocation with the Preakness win and so many years of training with Pletcher. I thought Pletcher was in NY, so that's quite the move if that's the case for some of these owners.
Omess Canada

Post by Omess »

dryrunguy wrote:I can report that a slew of owners over the past few weeks have pulled their horses out of Bob Baffert's training barn. Adding to the list just today, Charlatan has been retired to stud, and Life is Good has been moved to Todd Pletcher's barn, which has been the general trend for owners. Lots of owners are bailing on Baffert and moving to Pletcher instead.

I guess it's no longer a guaranteed Californian elite social status symbol to casually mention at dinner parties and other gatherings that you own a horse being trained by Bob Baffert.
They are giving up on him :( I guess he is being “cancel” lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro