World Cup 2022

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: World Cup 2022

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

France a goal behind vs Australia...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:48 pm
It's not a strange position.
It's called being a hoe. That's all.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:11 pm
ti-amie wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:48 pm
It's not a strange position.
It's called being a hoe. That's all.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:16 pm France a goal behind vs Australia...
It was stunning. Sure they righted the ship, but that the panic that ensued before then was real, especially after what happened to Argentina.

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

Lovely sportsmanship and manners that could stand to catch on. They've done it in the past when they lost as well. And their fans stayed behind in the stadium to help clean up.

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I feel dumb for skipping the second half of that one!

Bittersweet match for the Canadians today. They controlled a lot of the game, including a large chunk of the first half. Showed very well but didn't get any points (or goals) to show for it. They definitely looked like they belong with the top teams in the world at least. Just need to finish against the best now.
:steven:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I watched the second half Canada - Belgium, and I was horrified to see 12 players shot down by snipers in the stands. It was incredible - they just kept shooting, and players kept dropping.

But then, that happens in every soccer match, sadly.

As I've said before - I cannot respect a sport that does not respect itself. And soccer/football definitely does not respect itself. It is wholly embarrassing to, as a Canadian, watch the Canadian players diving and collapsing all over the 'pitch' as soon as they are touched by an opposing player, just as players from other teams regularly do.
I had hoped that the Canadian players would rise above that despicably low level. But, once again, it was not to be.

How can anyone call this sport 'the beautiful game' when this garbage is occurring many, many times in every single game? There is certainly nothing beautiful about it.
And this is not even to mention the rampant corruption in this 'sport'.
Yuck.
R.I.P. Amal...
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." ~ Oscar Wilde

Post by JazzNU »

Question for @suliso or someone else that knows Switzerland well. Is there a Swiss pro soccer league? And if so, is it thought to be on the same level as the premiere soccer leagues in Europe like Bundesliga or Serie A or La Liga? Would a super talented Swiss teenager choose to play in a Swiss league over an offer from one of the other high profile European leagues?

Switzerland seems to have developed a really good, consistent national team in recent years, and it made me wonder if there's a very good pro league we don't hear much about here that contributes to that.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

There is a Swiss pro league. Actually in Europe every country has a pro soccer league. Bigger countries like England have 3 or 4. Swiss one is a medium strength league. A Swiss teenager would normally start there, but if he really gets to the absolute top level it's time to move on to the true elite leagues. There is even more money to be made there. For Swiss Bundesliga is a popular choice.

Currently I'd rate England's Premier League as the strongest followed not too far behind by La Liga and Serie A. Another step behind would be Bundesliga and Ligue 1 in France.

Everyone else is much further behind. Besides those listed above I'd also rate top leagues in Portugal, Netherlands and Belgium as better than Swiss.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Deuce wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:07 am I watched the second half Canada - Belgium, and I was horrified to see 12 players shot down by snipers in the stands. It was incredible - they just kept shooting, and players kept dropping.

But then, that happens in every soccer match, sadly.

As I've said before - I cannot respect a sport that does not respect itself. And soccer/football definitely does not respect itself. It is wholly embarrassing to, as a Canadian, watch the Canadian players diving and collapsing all over the 'pitch' as soon as they are touched by an opposing player, just as players from other teams regularly do.
I had hoped that the Canadian players would rise above that despicably low level. But, once again, it was not to be.

How can anyone call this sport 'the beautiful game' when this garbage is occurring many, many times in every single game? There is certainly nothing beautiful about it.
And this is not even to mention the rampant corruption in this 'sport'.
Yuck.
And no one buys it, never has, yet it continues. My mother would give me a look that said "if I see you acting that foolish publicly again...."
Last edited by Owendonovan on Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.