2024 Eurovision Song Contest

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Oploskoffie Netherlands

Re: 2024 Eurovision Song Contest

Post by Oploskoffie »

dryrunguy wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:58 pm I'm still pretty crushed that Croatia came so close--but couldn't close the deal. The Swiss performance was just incredible. For those who weren't paying attention, Switzerland won the jury, and Croatia won the televote.

Israel finished fifth after getting tanked by the juries. Israel was second in the televote.

FUN FACT: Ireland finished 6th with the juries, 6th with the televote, and 6th overall. So fitting.
What do we think about the repeated glaring differences between jury and the public? I mean... It's a bit like movie crititcs versus moviegoers where the first, understandably :lol: , wipe the floor with, say, the latest Michael Bay product and then the latter assures the movie turns a profit anyway. Is it part of the fun/tradition and does it perhaps ensure smaller countries/more artistic songs stand half a chance, or should it simply be left to the televote, the political and regional favouritism be damned?

I missed the demonic Irish result. That's :lol: :lol:
My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.
dryrunguy

Re: 2024 Eurovision Song Contest

Post by dryrunguy »

Oploskoffie wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:15 am
dryrunguy wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:58 pm I'm still pretty crushed that Croatia came so close--but couldn't close the deal. The Swiss performance was just incredible. For those who weren't paying attention, Switzerland won the jury, and Croatia won the televote.

Israel finished fifth after getting tanked by the juries. Israel was second in the televote.

FUN FACT: Ireland finished 6th with the juries, 6th with the televote, and 6th overall. So fitting.
What do we think about the repeated glaring differences between jury and the public? I mean... It's a bit like movie crititcs versus moviegoers where the first, understandably :lol: , wipe the floor with, say, the latest Michael Bay product and then the latter assures the movie turns a profit anyway. Is it part of the fun/tradition and does it perhaps ensure smaller countries/more artistic songs stand half a chance, or should it simply be left to the televote, the political and regional favouritism be damned?

I missed the demonic Irish result. That's :lol: :lol:
There's always this love/hate relationship with the juries. When the juries go my way, I love them. When the juries don't go my way, I hate them. All in all, I thought they did a pretty decent job. Without them, Portugal, for example, would never have ended up on the left side of the board.

That said, how did those same juries not "get" Norway's entry? That was an astounding performance--both vocally and visually. I know that's a song people watch rather than listen to (I know I'm guilty of this). And the sad part is it will probably be another decade or two before Norway sends a song in Norwegian.

Israel was the outlier this year, IMHO. The juries definitely tanked it for political reasons, and the televote was skewed in Israel's favor due to a massive marketing campaign orchestrated by the Israeli government in ally countries. And it worked beautifully.

Meanwhile, if you rely too heavily on the public vote, you end up with an entry like No Rules (Finland).