'24 Wimbledon Day 7 Order of Play & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '24 Wimbledon Day 7 Order of Play & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:30 pm Coco, just like Swiatek, is always going to struggle on grass. It is amazing how the commentators discount her ridiculous forehand grip as a factor. It just won't work.

As for Navarro, her win over Shnaider was more impressive than her wins over Osaka or Gauff, and I'm not posting this to be different. It is the truth. Shnaider had just beaten her on grass and was playing with tremendous self-belief and excellent shot- making.
Yeah, I didn't expect Navarro to beat Schnaider, who also beat Emma on clay in May. Schnaider was struggling with an elbow injury toward the end of the match, though. Got treatment and iced it on changeovers. Yet it was still close, 6-4 in the third. Emma lost the first set and showed goo composure to take the second.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

jazzyg wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:30 pm Coco, just like Swiatek, is always going to struggle on grass. It is amazing how the commentators discount her ridiculous forehand grip as a factor. It just won't work.

As for Navarro, her win over Shnaider was more impressive than her wins over Osaka or Gauff, and I'm not posting this to be different. It is the truth. Shnaider had just beaten her on grass and was playing with tremendous self-belief and excellent shot- making.
Exactly. That grip is too extreme; your racquet is facing down for about 90% of your swing and you have that split second when you can make clean contact with the ball.
But, as said above, it has already bagged her a USO, and I think she will have more slams. A couple. So, no need to change it, just realize you will have troubles every now and then. Specially in July.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

I wonder about the impact of all the rain this year on the surface, and the falls, and injuries. Since the change in the grass a couple decades ago Wimbledon has generally been drier but every few years we get these wet weeks, and the grass doesn't dry properly.