BIGGEST LOSER (instructions) and BIGGEST LOSER (post teams). Come join us cheer against your own players!!!

In Memoriam

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Oploskoffie Netherlands

Re: In Memoriam

Post by Oploskoffie »

Shonen manga artist Akira Toriyama, synonymous with the Dragon Ball series, passed away on the first of March.

https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_2499.html
Hell is other people, particularly your neighbours.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Younger than I thought he was.
Certainly a sad day for fans of the genre
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

What a huge loss. May he RIP.

Even the Chinese government made an official statement about his passing.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

OJ Simpson has died of cancer at age 76.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

JTContinental wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:48 pm OJ Simpson has died of cancer at age 76.
and the entire sports world is silent!
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:58 pm
JTContinental wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:48 pm OJ Simpson has died of cancer at age 76.
and the entire sports world is silent!
Not everyone...

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Bernard Hill has died at age 79. Most notably he played king Theoden in the second movie of The Lord of the Rings.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
@kaj33
The reason Jerry West is the logo for the NBA is because he embodied the qualities we admire in our best athletes: skills as a player, dedication as a teammate, and integrity as a person. He was my coach, and my advisor, but mostly he was my friend. Today, a part of the continent has broken off and we are all left a little smaller. I know I am. I especially want to send my deepest condolences to Karen and the entire West family.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Earvin Magic Johnson
@MagicJohnson
I met Jerry West for the first time in 1979 at the Forum where he introduced me to Bill Sharman, Chick Hearn, and then Laker owner Jack Kent Cooke. My father, agent and I negotiated over lunch then Jerry took me to the locker room to show me my Lakers jersey. I started to cry and Jerry explained to me the expectation of wearing the purple and gold, how he saw my role, and how he envisioned me fitting into the organization. I’ll never forget that moment.

When training camp began, he gave me so many golden nuggets and really critiqued every facet of my game. After every practice he would give me notes on how I could get better and those sessions carried over to the regular season. Once a week we went over what I needed to improve and how I could dominate in the league. Those meetings meant everything to me because I learned so much from him.

We had a basketball camp in Hawaii called the Jerry West Magic Johnson Fantasy Camp for 20 years. At the camp we shared every meal together and that’s when we really bonded and solidified our great friendship outside of the Lakers. Jerry West was more than a general manager, he was a great friend and confidante. He was there in my highest moments, winning 5 NBA Championships, and in my lowest moment when I announced my HIV diagnosis and we cried together for hours in his office.

Every time I achieved a goal or crossed a milestone, one of the first calls I received was from Jerry West. When I started my business, was inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame, was named Lakers President of Basketball Operations – he would always pick up the phone and give me a personalized call to congratulate me.

Beyond his basketball accolades as a basketball player and NBA executive, Jerry West was a great man, a leader of men, fiercely loved his family and friends, and despite holding jobs with other franchises, he was a Lakers fan for life. Laker Nation, the only reason we have 17 NBA championships is because of Jerry West and his expertise drafting players, trading for players, and hiring the right coaches. Today is a sad day for basketball fans and sports fans across the globe.

Cookie and I are just devastated and continue to lift up his beautiful wife Karen; sons David, Mark, Michael, Ryan and Jonnie, extended family, and loved ones in prayer.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

One of the athletes that transcended his sport. My impression was that he was a gentleman.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JTContinental »

Baseball legend Willie Mays has died at age 93.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JTContinental wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:43 am Baseball legend Willie Mays has died at age 93.
SMH

May he RIP.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Donald Sutherland has died at 88.
One of the finest actors of the 20th century.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JTContinental »

A whole list of celebrities have died this weekend:

Dr Ruth Westheimer (sex therapist) at age 91
Richard Simmons (fitness guru and noted Hollywood eccentric) at age 76
Shannen Doherty (actress best known for lead roles in Beverly Hills 90210 and Charmed) at age 53, after a decade long battle with breast cancer
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

When we were kids, the Richard Simmons "informercial" type shows were always on during breakfast hours before school... so we watched a lot more of him than most kids every should have ... so that one hit us all a little hard.

I saw Dr. Ruth was 96 actually.
:steven: