14%
Djokovic in 5
No votes

Total votes: 7

nelslus United States of America

Re: '24 Wimbledon Day 14 Order of Play & Discussion

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:50 pm
nelslus wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:02 pm ...

PS- LET me now emphasize how WRONG ponchi has been with Carlos. Starting with how ponchi would not have been surprised if Carlos had not won a clay tournament this year. Granted- Carlos DID only win one clay tournament this year.... :gorgeous:

IN any case- YAY CARLOS!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo:
Since you made a point of mentioning me.
To begin. I like Carlos A LOT. I love the game. I love the attitude. He is great for the sport. I voted for him in the poll
But many years ago, I reached the limit of betting against Novak and getting burned. After the Wimbledon injury (vs Berdych) I thought he was done. Well, he was far from that.
He did not face a murderers' row this tournament, but he handled it precisely in that fashion. I saw the Fearnsley match, and Novak lost one set. Because he was toying with the guy. So, he was playing well.
Anyway, extremely glad I was wrong. And I agree with you that I hope the Novak era is over. But he just made the finals at Wimbledon after a knee operation. I will still not bet against him.
OH, my friend, I had to give ya s**t.

The Novak PTSD is real for many of us. Obviously, we could still see Novak have a Sampras moment or two (NOT the Olympics, PLEASE!!!!) BUT- results are results. Pre-surgery, Novak's results were pretty bad this year. And, toying with his opponents or not- he lost two sets before the final. He got incredibly lucky to make the final. Ridiculous draw. Sure, it ain't Novak's fault that seeds in his half fell out. Still- I truly think there are a few players who could have beaten Novak at Wimbledon this year. At some point, I have seen so many greats when you can tell that the great results are just over. When you just have to stop expecting the big wins. Over and over again this year, not just here but other sites, I have seen folks get so excited over- Rafa is playing!! Andy is playing!! Folks....stop already. (NOW, watch Rafa win the Olympics gold medal....) OF course, you can never completely write off one of the Best Evers. Nevertheless....

AND, you recently have at times been, IMO, quite the Carlos Doubter. I mean, I sure couldn't really argue about this with anyone, with the results and level of play Alcaraz was showing after last year's Wimbledon. But- it just felt inevitable that, sooner than later, Carlos was gonna get it all back together again. Albeit, even I am pretty shocked that he somehow managed to pull off the French Open/Wimbledon double.

Who knows what is going to happen with Carlos now. But, GEEZ, I do seriously wish the tennis commentators would just give Carlos and Sinner a break already. Asking Carlos in his post-match interview something like how he thinks he will stand up against the GOAT records. I mean, there are way too many variables. Injuries, illnesses, losing interest, other new great players showing up. Who knows what Carlos will look like at 25, or 30, or freakin' 38-or-whatever. Carlos has four Slam titles, Sinner has- well, one. Let them breathe already. We can't ever expect to see the levels of Novak/Roger/Rafa ever again. (AND, if Carlos gets there, I am all for that).
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I was really surprised that he won the French. He did not play well in any of the warm ups.
And he lost to Draper at Queens. Who barely made the 2nd round here.
Yet he won.
Yes, I have doubted him. By now, I say that the sole way he does not pass Sampras are injuries.
But when I see Novak play, I like your PTSD analogy.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Alcaraz is 12-1 in 5 set matches for his career. The change from best of 3 to best of 5 from tour events to slams is a huge advantage right now for Alcaraz. I think he'll become more consistent in shorter matches in the next few years, but he may always be a player that elevates for big matches, and plays a bit more ordinary at other events.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I finished watching the match (I was not going to wake up early to watch Novak win).
Of all the things that impress me of Alcaraz, the one thing that stands out is his reading of the game. He always seems to know where his opponent is going, and he seems to know what shot he will hit. He is super fast, for sure. But, it is also that he is always going in the right direction.
He wrong foots a lot. But he seldom gets wrong footed.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Something I haven't heard mentioned yet - Alcaraz is the first player other than Federer, Nadal, or Djokovic to defend a Grand Slam since Agassi, and Kuerten defended the Australian Open, and French Open respectively in 2001.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Another stat worth mentioning I think. Alcaraz first player other than Federer, Nadal, or Djokovic to win multiple slams in the same calendar year since Andre Agassi in 1999.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:36 pm I finished watching the match (I was not going to wake up early to watch Novak win).
Of all the things that impress me of Alcaraz, the one thing that stands out is his reading of the game. He always seems to know where his opponent is going, and he seems to know what shot he will hit. He is super fast, for sure. But, it is also that he is always going in the right direction.
He wrong foots a lot. But he seldom gets wrong footed.
Yes, absolutely! Knowing where the ball is going is part of 'speed'
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Am reading 'searching for Novak'..he does seem to have a remarkable power to heal himself .
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

But I do think the Djokovic era is over..the decline was clear at the AO..he has never played so badly..this Wimbledon, he wasn't even 90% of his best..the decline has set n..nobody can defeat old age, not even Novak
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Going to throw out another changing of the guard statistic. This is the first time since before Federer won Wimbledon in 2003 that there have been 3 Grand Slams in a row won by someone other than Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic.