Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

Post by ponchi101 »

But with the much lower gravity, it should be easier too, right? Don't you have a logarithmic drop in forces when the gravity is less?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:23 pm But with the much lower gravity, it should be easier too, right? Don't you have a logarithmic drop in forces when the gravity is less?
I think it's easier and harder at the same time. Easier because gravity is just a fraction of ours and hence fuel needed for the takeoff is low. On the other hand when this rocket lands on earth much of the loss of momentum is accomplished via friction with an atmosphere there as on the Moon it will have to be 100% rocket power. Also you need to land and then take off again without any service options.

Take off and landing on Earth size planet would be impossible with this technology. On Mars possible, but only if you can refuel locally.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Lots of important space news this weekend. The other story is the launch of Europa Clipper by NASA. Will explore Jupiter moon Europa when it arrives in 2030. As you probably know there are supposed to be liquid water oceans below the ice cap there.

https://arstechnica.com/space/2024/10/n ... on-europa/
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I didn't know that was being planned. Pretty cool.
I like that they quoted Clarke's 2010. In 3001, he goes further to discuss what happens to the first Chinese mission that lands there. And then, when Lucifer goes off (the hydrogen in Jupiter is consumed), the monolith re-awakens. One of the best sci-fi books ever, and one I wonder why it has never been turne4d into a movie.
Guess we have to wait until 2030 to see the first photos from Europa, through these cameras.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

So, when people malign modern science and especially medicine, let's remember cases like this one.
I will not make mock this woman because she is going to go through one horrible period of her life. But...

Former MTV VJ Ananda Lewis Says Her Cancer Has Spread After She Decided to 'Keep My Tumor'

A brief part:
“My plan at first was to get out excessive toxins in my body. I felt like my body is intelligent, I know that to be true. Our bodies are brilliantly made,” Lewis explained.

“I decided to keep my tumor and try to work it out of my body a different way,” she shared. “Looking back on that, I go, ‘You know what? Maybe I should have.’ “

Elam explains in a voice-over that Lewis pursued homeopathic remedies as well as medication and radiation, and better sleep and diet. While she says Lewis improved for a while, last year the MTV alum discovered her cancer had spread.
---0---
The BS about toxins is so infuriating. People, that is what you have two kidneys and a liver for. You have very few toxins in your body (or you would be dead).
End of rant. I hope they can help her (the real doctors).