Post Big 3

Our main board to talk about our sport
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post Big 3

Post by Liamvalid »

Just wondered what people think their enjoyment will be of the ATP once the big 3 retire/wind down/fizzle out. I’ve never really been into the ATP that much, other than watching Henman’s rollercoaster matches at Wimbledon as a kid, I’ve only ever actively supported Nadal (and I kind of loved Wawrinka in his later career). There’s always talk of peoples interest waning after the Big 3 go, but I’m really excited for the future. I really like Medvedev and his kooky ways. Also love watching Fokina, Ruud, Tiafoe, Berrettini, Felix, Norrie, Khachanov, Rublev, Sinner. Only player I really can’t watch is Zverev. I’m on the cusp with Tsitsipas, I desperately want to like him but his antics sometimes put me off. I think in 2 or 3 years time I will prefer the ATP over the WTA for the very first time
Last edited by Liamvalid on Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary, queen of shots
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Post Big 3

Post by ti-amie »

The ATP has been planning for its tour post Big 3 for a few years now. They heavily promoted its Next Gen players and I think that fans of the Big 3 are already choosing up sides between the likes of Berrettini, Rublev, Sinner and Stefanos. Among the others mentioned, many of whom already have devoted followings, is Korda who has the potential to be the next big US player.

The WTA is, in dire straits. Osaka, whether they like it or not, is already the face of the new WTA. Other than her name one player who has the ability to carry the tour forward publicity wise. They have had the Williams sisters for almost 20 years now I think and they didn't like it at all. No stars have come from Asia to follow in Li Na's wake and none of the Big 4 tennis countries of the past - the US, England, France and Australia have produced their own stars (and yes we can argue about Naomi). Czechia's almost total sweep of the women's tournament in Paris while impressive will not put butts in the seats or draw new fans. The WTA has done it to itself by not promoting women's tennis and going with the promotion of personalities. I don't know how or when it will recover.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Actually I'm optimistic on both tours. The big three era was great, but to be honest I've started to get bored with it the last few years. There are plenty of interesting players to take over. Right now Tsitsipas and Sinner are my favorites, but that could still change. It doesn't actually matter that they aren't as good as those three in their primes.

Right now Osaka is indeed the biggest star, but there will be competition once someone else from the younger generation wins 2-3 Slams. Bianca maybe if she ever gets healthy, Iga is a possibility and of course Coco could be a major competition especially in US.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Australia has produced a star, just she's not very star like by nature.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:41 pm Australia has produced a star, just she's not very star like by nature.
We're not that kind of site but some of the comments about Barty elsewhere are jaw dropping. I have nothing against her but I always forget about her until a major rolls around and it's like "oh yeah, she's the WTA number one". She is a "star" in one sense but as someone who the proverbial "casual fan" will mention if asked about women's tennis she's not. I'll never forget the Uber guy who drove me to the Open asked me when Venus (or was it Serena? It was in the before time so I'm not sure) was playing because he'd always wanted to see her. That is star power.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I could hardly argue, but first of all one would also need to ask in Australia and second these things are to some extent connected to winning a lot.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:54 pm I could hardly argue, but first of all one would also need to ask in Australia and second these things are to some extent connected to winning a lot.
I wonder if she's that popular among the "casuals" in Australia. I'm asking because I'm seriously not sure.
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

I haven't seen enough of Sinner to have an opinion one way or the other; I'm becoming a Tsitsipas fan. I also like Medvedev. I think Zverev will be similar to Djokovic for me - I may appreciate his game when he plays well, but not sure I'll ever be a big fan. I haven't had a lot of opportunity to watch the up & coming group since YouTube TV dropped Tennis Channel.

I think Iga has potential on the WTA side, but need to see more of her performance off clay. I don't really see any big rivalries developing right now within WTA.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I've said before that I think the WTA has a brighter future for star power than the ATP. That doesn't mean I think the WTA will become considerably more popular, but in terms of overall interest outside of tennis and popularity outside of tennis to draw in the non-tennis fan or the general sports fan, I've seen more potential for the women than the men so far in the next few years when we're not talking about the Big 3 or Serena and Venus. I look at who can land on the cover of Vogue or Cosmo or GQ or Esquire, not who can land on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Now, there've been some bumps in the road. Will Bianca ever be healthy for a long stretch? Will Amanda reach the level she was projected to be at and also, will she mature anytime soon? That being said, there is enough good young talent, led by Coco, that seem to have a very good shot at winning a grand slam that will garner Madison Ave attention. In this context, I'm talking younger than Naomi, since she's already leading the way now even though she's just 23.

Now, on the men, whew. Talk about bumps in the road. Zverev was pushed as the heir apparent and just yikes. Stef seems like he might be able to lead the way, but it can't be overstated how many players he seems to have a beef with him. Just how unlikable is he? It kind of makes me think he might be closer to Nole than Roger & Rafa with fans in the end, and if that winds up being the case, as we've seen with Nole, outside of Serbia, he has not been some marketing god because the popularity is not the same. So far, it hasn't been an issue. But it wasn't for Nole in early years either.

If FAA, Korda, and Musetti become as good as some think they can be, then I think that the ATP could definitely regain some footing post-Big 3. Musetti had a rough, disappointing week, so maybe he's not as likable as he first seemed. We'll see, but those 3 are ones I'm keeping an eye on to help with moving forward. Three players that are very easy to root for and who have been (up until this past week for Musetti) very engaging in their interviews and with fans. Will they be the big 3? No, never. But might lead to a good phase of tennis that can garner attention outside of just tennis fans.

Also, not next gen, but Berrettini, Berrettini, Berrettini. Put some PR support behind him and he could easily soar outside of the sport. And he's only 25.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Berrettini is a very good tennis player and has the looks but it's Musetti who has made the covers of magazines. I was very pro Musetti until this week. FAA needs a psychologist to get over his mental block when it comes to Finals. Zverev was the heir apparent but he's now in, and may remain in exile for fans and sponsors.

Now that Andreescu is with IMG and is being repped by Eisenbud she's going to have to play matches. New hair and make-up aside if she doesn't play it won't matter and IMG will drop her.

I agree about Cori Gauff having the potential to be huge especially if she continues to raise her level of play and is marketed properly.

Outside of them, and notice it's all potential at this point, I don't see any superstars coming out of the WTA.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

You don't think Swiatek has a potential if she win another Slam or two?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:14 pm You don't think Swiatek has a potential if she win another Slam or two?
She has great potential as a tennis star. Fans will want to see her. But I remember Steffi Graf, a great tennis player and star but it was Evert who was the face of tennis for a very long time. Those are two different things.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:21 pm
Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:14 pm You don't think Swiatek has a potential if she win another Slam or two?
She has great potential as a tennis star. Fans will want to see her. But I remember Steffi Graf, a great tennis player and star but it was Evert who was the face of tennis for a very long time. Those are two different things.
I'm too young to remember Evert, but I do know that Graf was a huge star in Germany. Together with Boris the real faces of tennis in that country. When they retired interest in tennis waned considerably and only very recently has been rekindled to a large extent.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

You might ask how do I know that? My mother speaks German and to not to forget the language used to watch regularly German TV shows and movies on satellite TV in the 90-ties.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:00 pm Berrettini is a very good tennis player and has the looks but it's Musetti who has made the covers of magazines. I was very pro Musetti until this week. FAA needs a psychologist to get over his mental block when it comes to Finals. Zverev was the heir apparent but he's now in, and may remain in exile for fans and sponsors.

Outside of them, and notice it's all potential at this point, I don't see any superstars coming out of the WTA.
I see many more than that for the women, but definitely mostly potential at this stage that could end up being busts. But a few so far that appear to be the real deal. But there's questions of more than just a bust on the court. Amanda is a good example of someone who could start winning, but if she doesn't mature a bit more, brands don't appear to be willing to invest in her just yet. She was winning before and it was a whole lot of crickets from sponsors, which is unusual given the attention she was getting and her looks, you'd have thought she'd take off more, but she didn't. And she's with IMG, so you gotta think they were trying.

In terms of Musetti and Berrettini. I think it shouldn't be an either/or. I know Musetti has gotten the covers. But Matteo should be getting them, he needs new representation I'm guessing, one that is much more ambitious in their approach. And the ATP would do well to offer some assistance since they need an "It" guy that isn't the top 3 and isn't still developing. He's already there, so a good one to push as a bridge til the others come along a bit more.