With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
mmmm8

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by mmmm8 »

dryrunguy wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:43 am
Suliso posted something earlier that piqued my attention, and I've read the same thing about some folks in the U.S. So I'll ask:

Who the hell are these people who have accumulated significant financial savings during COVID? I'm not talking about the uber-rich. I'm talking about ordinary folks. I keep hearing about all these people who are anxious to spend their surplus savings accumulated during COVID on vacations, etc.... Who ARE these people? I can't name a single person I know who would fall into this category. I am a 2%er, and I'm not even close to falling into this category. So, if not me, then who?
There are a few potential cases:
- People who saved on commuting/gas, expenses (going out, social activities, gym memberships, etc.) by working from home. I would say that applies to me; on average, my spending went down. I put the savings towards debt, so no pondering of what to do with the money.
- People who had more time while working from home or were furloughed/laid off and started actively investing/day trading (while surely a miniscule portion, I actually know quite a few of such people) and got lucky/were good at it.
- In related, people who invested a bit of money when the market crashed last spring and then watched it grow.
- Self-employed people whose operating costs were reduced in an online environment (i.e. tutors, psychologists, consultants, etc.)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I would say it would be more general. IF you kept your job, you were certainly able to save.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:54 pm I would say it would be more general. IF you kept your job, you were certainly able to save.
Exactly. I used to spend ca 20% of post tax income on various entertainment (eating out, events, lots of travel etc). For the last year 80% of that has gone to savings/investment instead. Fortunately I didn't have any debt before the pandemic.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:43 am Suliso posted something earlier that piqued my attention, and I've read the same thing about some folks in the U.S. So I'll ask:

Who the hell are these people who have accumulated significant financial savings during COVID?

I think @mmmm8 captured almost everything I was thinking, but I'll add to it a bit.

Clothes. How much have you honestly been shopping for clothes in the last 18 months? I've gotten some new yoga pants and loungewear that double as my "work clothes" and not much else because who the **** am I trying to impress or look presentable for right now?

And for women in particular, at least in my group of family and friends - spending much, much less on accessories and makeup - not many designer bags, shoes, sunglasses, earrings, and most kinds of makeup being bought in the last year and that alone could save hundreds but more likely thousands for many. Why would you spend on this stuff when you've got nowhere to go? Ride out with what you've got and maybe buy something new this summer or fall.

For example, I found a gently used designer bag of a version I used to own for like $50 on Poshmark that I used for most of the pandemic when one of the straps on my last purse was starting to fail. Not the norm for me because it doesn't show as well, but no biggie in the last year. My sister bought a couple of nice necklaces so she can look good from the neck up on Zoom, but next to nothing else in terms of an accessory.

Also, for a period of time, you couldn't spend to get your hair, nails, or feet done even if you wanted to. Easily hundreds saved right there alone for so many. Looking decent for women can be expensive.

The people I've been seeing during the pandemic, they know and love me and will put up with whatever kind of mess I might look like on a given day. 😊
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Obviously the key to all this is as ponchi said - job not affected by the pandemic and also no one close got seriously ill.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I hate reading these stories of covidiocy.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Died as a free man :?
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:11 pm Died as a free man :?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I'm so confused by those that get it, are sick to the point of being hospitalized and still downplaying the disease. If you know anyone that's gotten covid to the point of being hospitalized, if they are lucky enough to be alive, they will tell you, there is no mistaking the two.

Also, these people that say it's the flu. I'd like them to name even 3 people they personally know who have been hospitalized by the flu or die from it. You typically have to know healthcare professionals to know that many, and even then, not many can name someone who has died from flu complications.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:22 pm I'm so confused by those that get it, are sick to the point of being hospitalized and still downplaying the disease. If you know anyone that's gotten covid to the point of being hospitalized, if they are lucky enough to be alive, they will tell you, there is no mistaking the two.

Also, these people that say it's the flu. I'd like them to name even 3 people they personally know who have been hospitalized by the flu or die from it. You typically have to know healthcare professionals to know that many, and even then, not many can name someone who has died from flu complications.
(Cognitive dissonance)3
(the people you talk about)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I hate to rain on the American 're-opening everything as if the pandemic is finished' parade, but...

As Delta Variant Surges, Outbreaks Return in Many Parts of the World

(Actually, I don't hate to rain on this parade, as more information like this may well save some lives...)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I wish we were that relevant. :D
The 25 people that come to this forum have all been vaccinated or plan to. Our lives are saved, except for that news of the Gulf of Mexico being on fire ;)
(Putting you on. txs for the link)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

No mask?
No way...

Don't Take Your Mask Off Yet

There's an easier and safer way to test positive than refusing to get vaccinated...

How to Test Positive the Safe Way

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Now we have a COVID outbreak among 6 firefighters at the collapsed Miami building.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-co ... -covid-19/
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

A sidebar that is somewhat related to my previous post here.

A few weeks ago, my company had an All Hands Meeting (virtually, of course). The last topic discussed was current plans for returning staff to headquarters. It will happen in phases. Executive leadership, HR, contracts, and project management personnel go back first. Then additional staff. Many staff like me will continue to work remotely (but there will be many more staff working remotely than before COVID).

When asked if staff will be required to vaccinated before they can return to the office, our president said, "At this time, there are no plans to require staff to be vaccinated."

I have debated that corporate policy back and forth in my head ever since. I was also struck by a statement made by a colleague of mine this past Monday during our Business Development staff meeting. She said, and I paraphrase: "I'll never sit in a conference room again."

::

I expect that courts will eventually decide this, at least to some degree, but I'll ask you all the question: Can or should companies require staff to be vaccinated before returning to work? I'm not asking how we FEEL about it. I'm asking about the LEGALITY of it. I ask because the first thought that popped into my head when I read about the firefighters at the fallen condo building was, "How the hell do we have first responders who are NOT vaccinated?"