Tennis players we loat....I mean, don't really care much for

Our main board to talk about our sport
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Tennis players we loat....I mean, don't really care much for

Post by JazzNU »

dmforever wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:59 pm And thanks for that info about Drysdale. If he's not doing commentating for the money, then I really really hope that whatever is motivating him goes away and he throws in the microphone. ;)

Kevin
Amen. Can't stand his commentary. And him being South African makes it so much worse to tolerate him.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:30 pm And him being South African makes it so much worse to tolerate him.
^ Very interesting comment - one which could go in a few different directions, at least one of which is rather ugly.
Please elaborate.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Gael Monfils is mine. Very entertaining, not the world's worst human, but horrifying to be locked in a moving vehicle in.

In the meantime, there are players I've softened on in my/their old age, like Roddick.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Roddick was petulant at times. But he has been a very thoughtful person, both during his career and after.
I have no issues with him.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

mmmm8 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:09 pm Gael Monfils is mine. Very entertaining, not the world's worst human, but horrifying to be locked in a moving vehicle in.
I need help. I don't get what that means.

Kevin
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:30 pm
dmforever wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:59 pm And thanks for that info about Drysdale. If he's not doing commentating for the money, then I really really hope that whatever is motivating him goes away and he throws in the microphone. ;)

Kevin
Amen. Can't stand his commentary. And him being South African makes it so much worse to tolerate him.
"OK, so let's take a look at the Roger Federer serve. Roll the tape. OK, there, now stop the tape. Does everyone see how his left elbow is pronated at a 32.7º angle? OK, roll the tape. Now look at the pinky of his right hand. Stop the tape. It's just slightly separated from his ring finger. OK, roll the tape. Now as his left elbow rotates in conjunction with his right hand, both of which are going up...OK, stop the tape. Now you can see his left eye trained on the ball, while his right eye...roll the tape...And there. A perfect first serve."

I have come so close to self immolation during those analyses. The only think stopping me has been insufficient home insurance.

Kevin
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

dmforever wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:56 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:09 pm Gael Monfils is mine. Very entertaining, not the world's worst human, but horrifying to be locked in a moving vehicle in.

Kevin
No secret meaning. I told the story before so didn't want people have to read it again. When TAT used to do tennis journalism, I once shared a tournament ride with Monfils and his entourage and it was an awful experience that involved him making fun of and pranking the nice volunteer driver we had and jokingly threatening to sue him for bad driving, having a farting contest with his friend, and the coup de grace - asking his coach Roger Rasheed if he (Gael) can bite him and then after Rasheed kept refusing (obviously), biting him anyway.

It was probably about 10 years ago.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

mmmm8 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:09 am
dmforever wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:56 pm

Kevin
No secret meaning. I told the story before so didn't want people have to read it again. When TAT used to do tennis journalism, I once shared a tournament ride with Monfils and his entourage and it was an awful experience that involved him making fun of and pranking the nice volunteer driver we had and jokingly threatening to sue him for bad driving, having a farting contest with his friend, and the coup de grace - asking his coach Roger Rasheed if he (Gael) can bite him and then after Rasheed kept refusing (obviously), biting him anyway.

It was probably about 10 years ago.
Got it. Thanks (I think) for that. I hadn't read that before. Did the volunteer driver get upset? And the biting thing is just really odd.

Kevin
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

dmforever wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:32 am
Got it. Thanks (I think) for that. I hadn't read that before. Did the volunteer driver get upset? And the biting thing is just really odd.

Kevin
No, he was a really sweet man and was trying to be super professional and be nice to/ignore Monfils. Since I was a member of the media, I also felt like I had to maintain professionalism and had to not go off on him. I just asked him to please stop, particularly when he was going at the driver (as did Rasheed and one of the two friends). He did not stop.

Monfils just struck as an immature attention hog with no self-control. It's one thing to have a public persona as an entertainer and another to be that way 24/7 with no regard for others. I really hope Svitolina is 100% into that.

I think Rasheed left him a couple months after and moved back to Australia to spend time with his family.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

I agree on Monfils. Far too many examples of him interested in being an on court jester than a professional tennis player.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:11 pm Roddick was petulant at times. But he has been a very thoughtful person, both during his career and after.
Roddick became almost insufferable on court at times, the way he went after lines people and umpires. I never HATED him but it was hard to watch sometimes. I often rooted for him, particularly in the 2009 Wimbledon final, even though I was a Fed fan and wanted Roger to get 15 then. I also wanted Roddick to get another Slam and beat Fed in a big match at least once. Roddick definitely took his lumps from Roger with grace, for the most part. He had (and has) more good qualities than bad, for sure. But the recent canonizing of Roddick by Tennis Channel has turned me off. They fall over themselves laughing at every little thing he says, and it's usually not that funny. I guess that's not his fault. I love his wisdom and insight into tennis, though.

He came to Indy a few years ago for a fundraiser for Rajeev Ram's foundation. I believe he's a truly good guy. Just wish he hadn't humiliated line judges so much.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:41 am
dmforever wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:32 am

Kevin
No, he was a really sweet man and was trying to be super professional and be nice to/ignore Monfils. Since I was a member of the media, I also felt like I had to maintain professionalism and had to not go off on him. I just asked him to please stop, particularly when he was going at the driver (as did Rasheed and one of the two friends). He did not stop.

Monfils just struck as an immature attention hog with no self-control. It's one thing to have a public persona as an entertainer and another to be that way 24/7 with no regard for others. I really hope Svitolina is 100% into that.

I think Rasheed left him a couple months after and moved back to Australia to spend time with his family.
That's too bad about Monfils. Hopefully he has matured quite a bit. I don't mind his on-court persona at all. If he wants to be an entertainer, I'm all for it. Wish he had broken through with at least a Slam final, but he has had a nice career and been a fun part of the show, for me.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:30 pm ... But the recent canonizing of Roddick by Tennis Channel has turned me off. They fall over themselves laughing at every little thing he says, and it's usually not that funny. I guess that's not his fault. I love his wisdom and insight into tennis, though.

He came to Indy a few years ago for a fundraiser for Rajeev Ram's foundation. I believe he's a truly good guy. Just wish he hadn't humiliated line judges so much.
So, there is actually a PLUS to NOT having TC? ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:30 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:11 pm Roddick was petulant at times. But he has been a very thoughtful person, both during his career and after.
Roddick became almost insufferable on court at times, the way he went after lines people and umpires. I never HATED him but it was hard to watch sometimes. I often rooted for him, particularly in the 2009 Wimbledon final, even though I was a Fed fan and wanted Roger to get 15 then. I also wanted Roddick to get another Slam and beat Fed in a big match at least once. Roddick definitely took his lumps from Roger with grace, for the most part. He had (and has) more good qualities than bad, for sure. But the recent canonizing of Roddick by Tennis Channel has turned me off. They fall over themselves laughing at every little thing he says, and it's usually not that funny. I guess that's not his fault. I love his wisdom and insight into tennis, though.

Indeed, Roddick was extremely arrogant on the court - particularly in the last half of his career. I couldn't stand him. He was so incredibly smug - it was clear that he knew he could get away with it because he was the top American player. The way he treated linespeople and umpires was insufferably condescending and disrespectful.
Jim Courrier was similar - terribly disrespectful to linespeople and umpires, while enjoying his 'hardworking', clean image as a player. Both of them obnoxious hypocrites.

When I saw Michael Russell saying 'thank you' to the ball kids every time they gave him a ball, or his towel - EVERY time -, I commended Russell for that. He replied "Yeah - the ball kids and linespeople often get treated like (expletive) by players - I won't mention any names - cough, cough Andy Roddick cough, cough - so I try to let them know that some of us appreciate them."
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

Nice to see Nick being his usual self on court yesterday. And also following it up at his post match presser by reminding all us minions that 'I just like playing by the rules.' He's such a tool :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by the Moz on Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: