60%
Good, but no there
20%

Total votes: 5

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: WTA ATP Aus Open 1/17 - 1/30 2022

Post by ponchi101 »

mmmm8 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:27 pm ...

Ok, you tell the world the Chinese government is lying, which the world already knows. The WTA already did that Then what?

(And to Megan's suggestion, they can have Peng say she doesn't want to meet them in China either.)

My point is that there is no winning way out of this, unless someone knows where Peng is and wants to track her down and extract her without Chinese government's involvement. And that would have to be a government entity, not tennis players.
Oh, I didn't say either that there was a way out of this. Remember my comment about writing my letter to Santa. You are a citizen of a dictatorship (or have close ties), so am I. I know Peng is basically on her own and doomed. But the other players can make a point. At least a little moral posturing which, if they boycott the entire Chinese WTA circuit, will be noticed.
Won't help Peng one bit, but it is the most that can be done. I am old enough to remember Tiananmen and know that the Chinese have no qualms to disappear a female tennis player, forever.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

mick1303 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:25 pm
dmforever wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:46 pm
mick1303 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:45 am

There is another problem which is often overlooked in this discussion. All the restrictive measures give an ammunition to power abusers. Not big power abusers (on the level of country dictatorship), but run-of-the-mill everyday power abusers. Like those Australian policemen that were putting the guy on the ground and nearly in the choke-hold because he was not wearing a mask - ON THE STREET IN THE OPEN AIR (it was on YouTube). You think that their idiocy is victimless?
I don't understand your comment. Are you saying or implying that I think choking anti vaxxers is OK?

Kevin
First of all, "Anti vaxxers" is putting a label and oversimplification. Some people are maybe vaccinated but nonetheless they are against extreme measures and vilification of everyone who is not vaccinated. And that rationalization of ostracizing "others" (i.e those who are not vaccinated) is a step in the same direction. Sure, you are not directly calling for choking "anti vaxxers". But what is the logical next step after you proclaimed that they "using scarce resources"?
The post that I was responding to was specifically about the non vaccinated. That is the group that I expressed frustration with, and that is who I was calling anti vaxxers because they are anti vaccination.

I don't know what the next step is. I didn't even imply that there is a next step. I was simply expressing frustration with people who refuse to get vaccinated because they are prolonging this health crisis and are hypocritical because when they do get sick and need medical care, all of a sudden their mistrust in medicine and science goes out the window. And their actions can directly hurt other people even without them knowing it.

Kevin
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:40 pm
Do you think she is detained somewhere, or living independently but not freely, being monitored and threatened?
If there's no progress, then the WTA pulls out of China altogether, and hopefully some athletes boycott the Olympics. Doesn't help Peng, but as you said, if she is under their control and didn't use the opportunity last week or whenever to signal for help, there's really nothing anyone can do, as far as I know.
One of the two? Who knows
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

dmforever wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:14 pm ...

I don't know what the next step is. I didn't even imply that there is a next step. I was simply expressing frustration with people who refuse to get vaccinated because they are prolonging this health crisis and are hypocritical because when they do get sick and need medical care, all of a sudden their mistrust in medicine and science goes out the window. And their actions can directly hurt other people even without them knowing it.

Kevin
A larger point that had escaped me. Txs.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:20 pm
Guessing a player - especially a rich one - could hire find a doctor to certify "a history of anaphylaxis to all approved vaccines."
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The same doctor that declared Tiny to be the fittest president ever. He must be around.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:01 pm The same doctor that declared Tiny to be the fittest president ever. He must be around.
Yeah, he's a member of the US Congress.

JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:01 pm The same doctor that declared Tiny to be the fittest president ever. He must be around.
yes, he is in congress now

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Look who went first...

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I think her explanation makes sense. Given what she said, it's a year to spend the holidays with family and the early Aussie schedule makes that difficult. She was definitely in Dubai training last Christmas, not sure about 2018, but given her results in Australia in 2019, I'd guess she was already there and not in Canada or with her family then too.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I just figured that she's not vaccinated despite all of the family history she cited in that word salad. I read that she attended a hockey game recently and that only vaccinated people were allowed in. It was a Leafs game I think. Could she have done an Aaron Rodgers and said she was immunized?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I don't know. The mental aspects are on the table now, and in this case, she is citing them clearly. I would not consider Bianca to be such a sleaze bag to invoke mental health issues if the reason for not going to Australia was not being vaccinated. If that were the case, invoking a simple "I am not in shape" would suffice.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:16 pm I just figured that she's not vaccinated despite all of the family history she cited in that word salad. I read that she attended a hockey game recently and that only vaccinated people were allowed in. It was a Leafs game I think. Could she have done an Aaron Rodgers and said she was immunized?
Don't think so. I do think people are bound to take any Aussie Open withdraw as meaning they are unvaccinated, but doubt that's the case with Bianca. She openly said she wanted to get the vaccine earlier in the year when it became available to her, and that was after she already had covid.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Andreescu deciding to not play a tournament is not news.
It's more news when she actually DOES play a tournament.

I know she's still young... but I increasingly see her as someone who is desperately wanting to rest on her laurels - and her laurels are precisely 6 months of success in tennis at the pro level - and that was more than 2 years ago.
It seems that she always has some sort of excuse for withdrawing from tournaments, and for not playing at nearly the level she played at during those successful 6 months. These latest comments are just a different angle - and are more excuses. She leads the tour in excuses - by a long way.
Regardless of her level of play, I'll begin to respect her when she stays quiet and just lets her tennis do the talking.

Until then - what was it that Kerber called her?
Yeah...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower