With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Suliso Latvia

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by Suliso »

If I were in Miami I'd just go to a beach at midnight. Would be exotic for me...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You would not be alone. Lot's of people do that, with drinks. Not a bad idea to go to the beach at midnight with a nice bottle of wine, way after hours.
But you are right, in that it would be less crowded.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:08 pm You would not be alone. Lot's of people do that, with drinks.
Indeed. I saw that movie. It's called Jaws.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

...and Track and Trace is still running...
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Will travel warnings have to be issued?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Red: Counties where the death rate increased since adult vaccine eligibility

Blue/Green Counties where the death rate decreased since adult vaccine eligibility
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:28 pm
This was funny, but I've clearly watched too much horse racing in my life. That call, especially the first half, felt like amateur hour, I definitely expect better out of real horse racing announcers.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

COVID is hitting where I live. The elderly lady next door with fairly advanced dementia was transported to the hospital yesterday afternoon. She tested positive.

Her daughter also has it. The daughter and her husband live nearby. No word yet on our neighbor's husband. He's not mentally well, either. But he's in better mental shape than his wife. At least for now.

It's just so depressing.

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:22 am COVID is hitting where I live. The elderly lady next door with fairly advanced dementia was transported to the hospital yesterday afternoon. She tested positive.

Her daughter also has it. The daughter and her husband live nearby. No word yet on our neighbor's husband. He's not mentally well, either. But he's in better mental shape than his wife. At least for now.

It's just so depressing.
With that many underlying issues, I hope they are all vaccinated. But I know that's hoping for a lot in your area.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

My GF got her booster today. No Pfizer/BN available so they gave her Moderna. "Only" three hours on line (compared to my 5, an improvement).
Sole side effect: her arm is dead. I mean dead as in "can't lift it from the side". But a minor issue, and better to get this done here.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:43 am My GF got her booster today. No Pfizer/BN available so they gave her Moderna. "Only" three hours on line (compared to my 5, an improvement).
Sole side effect: her arm is dead. I mean dead as in "can't lift it from the side". But a minor issue, and better to get this done here.
FYI, Moderna tested the highest in booster responses among people that got the first series with Pfizer in the testing they did here when deciding on emergency approvals. So that's a good one to get with plenty advising it as the first option to choose.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It is also one issue down here. They seem to have mixed info. As you say, the literature I have read (including here) says that mixing a Moderna shot with your Pf/BT is a good choice, but when I went to get mine they stuck with a 3rd Pf/BN. Yesterday they ran out of Pf/BN so they gave her a Moderna, which is good, but they seem to not have a totally set up protocol.
On the bad side: my niece came down with Covid. She is vaccinated but got her booster on Dec 23rd, so maybe it did not have time to kick in. Mild symptoms but she is the one in the family that I worry about, as she has high blood pressure and a few extra pounds that should not be there, plus asthma. But again, just some mild symptoms so far. From my limited sampling, the vaccines are working for my family.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:07 pm It is also one issue down here. They seem to have mixed info. As you say, the literature I have read (including here) says that mixing a Moderna shot with your Pf/BT is a good choice, but when I went to get mine they stuck with a 3rd Pf/BN. Yesterday they ran out of Pf/BN so they gave her a Moderna, which is good, but they seem to not have a totally set up protocol.
On the bad side: my niece came down with Covid. She is vaccinated but got her booster on Dec 23rd, so maybe it did not have time to kick in. Mild symptoms but she is the one in the family that I worry about, as she has high blood pressure and a few extra pounds that should not be there, plus asthma. But again, just some mild symptoms so far. From my limited sampling, the vaccines are working for my family.

I hope your niece is okay. And the original vaccine without the booster is very likely to be enough to bolster her immunity against severe illness. Is she in Venezuela or in the US? If it's early in testing positive and she's here, she can likely go to get the monoclonal antibody treatment if she's concerned about her outcome and has one of the high risk conditions associated with severe illness. Something to keep in mind if she's here, but needs to be done early on.