'22 AO Day 5 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
jazzyg United States of America

Re: '22 AO Day 5 OoP & Discussion

Post by jazzyg »

Everybody was picking Alcaraz to win. Everyone.

Until getting pushback on this thread, I had never heard anyone talk about Berrettini's competitiveness. And if you think he is better on hard courts than grass, his career record indicates otherwise. I raved about his natural affinity on grass three years ago on the old site, long before his Wimbledon final last year.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote:Everybody was picking Alcaraz to win. Everyone.

Until getting pushback on this thread, I had never heard anyone talk about Berrettini's competitiveness. And if you think he is better on hard courts than grass, his career record indicates otherwise. I raved about his natural affinity on grass three years ago on the old site, long before his Wimbledon final last year.
I tipped Alcaraz for the possible upset (not here) only because Berrettini had an an injury in the ATP Cup and some gastrointestinal distress earlier this week. Wasn’t sure if he was in great shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

LOL, no everyone was NOT picking Alcaraz to win. Stomach upset or not- I had Berrettini winning the match- which, btw, he didn't win by much. I still think Alcaraz is still too young for a lot of great wins against the top players at Slams- for now.

As for grass vs. hard courts- I was just talking about Slams. In 4 US Opens- he's made a QF and a SF. He could certainly make waves here still, health permitting. However, I don't remember your analysis of his grass game. I am quite certain that you know his game and talents far better than me- so, I can respect your take that he's got a better shot at Wimbledon.

Truly- I just don't know where in the world is where everyone is doubting Berrettini- or why there is such a need for absolutes to make a point- everyone this, no one that. In any case, I suspect it's just best for me to bow out of The Great Berrettini debates. :)
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I was giving it a thought and: I don't consider him a mental giant nor a dwarf. But it certainly is not one quality that comes to mind when I think about him.
Then again, I despise the man. Can't root for a man that my GF openly tells me she would leave me for him, and I can't find one single good reason why not.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Did anyone by chance see the end of Opelka's match? He served this really, really weird serve. I couldn't find it on Youtube. He tossed it low and to the right and out in front and then hit it with almost a flat racket face. BG noticed it too. It wasn't a bad toss. It was on purpose, and very very weird. It didn't go in, BTW.

Kevin
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

dmforever wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:00 am Did anyone by chance see the end of Opelka's match? He served this really, really weird serve. I couldn't find it on Youtube. He tossed it low and to the right and out in front and then hit it with almost a flat racket face. BG noticed it too. It wasn't a bad toss. It was on purpose, and very very weird. It didn't go in, BTW.

Kevin
Hmmm, no, but i'm gonna look it up on the replay.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:05 am
dmforever wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:00 am Did anyone by chance see the end of Opelka's match? He served this really, really weird serve. I couldn't find it on Youtube. He tossed it low and to the right and out in front and then hit it with almost a flat racket face. BG noticed it too. It wasn't a bad toss. It was on purpose, and very very weird. It didn't go in, BTW.

Kevin
Hmmm, no, but i'm gonna look it up on the replay.
It's towards the end of the match. Maybe it was the last time or the second to the last time that he served. Let me know what you think.

Kevin