With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:04 am I just learned that Badosa was born in New York and is a natural lefty. Maybe I'm late to this party.
Not sure about the lefty thing, but I've mentioned that she's from NY more than once on here. Her parents were models at that time, she lived there for several years before moving to Spain.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:39 am
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:04 am I just learned that Badosa was born in New York and is a natural lefty. Maybe I'm late to this party.
Not sure about the lefty thing, but I've mentioned that she's from NY more than once on here. Her parents were models at that time, she lived there for several years before moving to Spain.
Missed that one! The lefty thing is true.

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:41 am
Didn't think the lefty thing was untrue, meant not sure it's been mentioned before about her. First time I've seen it at least.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:44 am
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:41 am

Didn't think the lefty thing was untrue, meant not sure it's been mentioned before about her. First time I've seen it at least.
Yeah, I figured. :) Just clarifying. Saw it today in this fun thing:
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

A lot of her fans call her PBG - Paula Badosa Gilbert.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:28 am A lot of her fans call her PBG - Paula Badosa Gilbert.
^ Apparently there's no 'l' in the final name - though it seems there should be.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:28 am A lot of her fans call her PBG - Paula Badosa Gilbert.
Yeah, she played her junior career under her full name and the beginning of her time on the WTA Tour. Not sure exactly when she changed it but at least a couple of years ago. It's Gibert - no L.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

When she won her match against Kostyuk she signed the camera lens with her left hand. I thought it was odd, but now all of you are confirming it.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

I'll see if I can find a decent photo (the only one I saw so far she's wearing a mask), but Elina at Gael's match against Berrettini was deserving as a "Who is that?" entry into the archives of Elina the chameleon. She looked more recognizable at an earlier match of his, but last night, if she was in the main crowd, I think you would've initially looked right by her. Eventually you can see it, but some of those initial shots I was like, man she doesn't even look the same day to day.

Post by JazzNU »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:32 pm I'll see if I can find a decent photo (the only one I saw so far she's wearing a mask), but Elina at Gael's match against Berrettini was deserving as a "Who is that?" entry into the archives of Elina the chameleon. She looked more recognizable at an earlier match of his, but last night, if she was in the main crowd, I think you would've initially looked right by her. Eventually you can see it, but some of those initial shots I was like, man she doesn't even look the same day to day.

Found a few. I wish I could find something from the 2nd and 3rd set, when I thought she looked most unlike herself, but these aren't bad entries. I think it's easier to watch the match and be uncertain if it's really her, than see a still of her like this and have the exact same impression, but can't find a good quality video. Also, I don't think she's done a thing with her hair since last week, but man does it look like it's a different shade now.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Most successful models are successful because without makeup their faces are a blank slate and can be made to look however the designer/magazine wants them to. Elina is such a chameleon without even trying I don't know if she would've been a success in that world.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I said it before. She should be a spy. Give her 10 passports, with different pictures, and she will travel the world unnoticed.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Next up... Golf, where she is also very good.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower