'22 AO Day 8 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '22 AO Day 8 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:10 pm Unbelievable events - Kanepi collapsed serving at 5-7, 6-2, 5-4, 40-0 (4 MP's in total). I thought she's a toast after that, but surprisingly she won the match tiebreak anyway. Aryna double faulting like a madwoman no doubt helped.

So Kanepi joins the not so long list of women who have reached QF's or better at all Slams. Curiously never further than that. This will be her 7th try.

Overall I'll be very surprised if the ultimate winner comes from this half of the draw.
Barty is the heavy favorite, I think. But I haven't seen Swiatek play yet. And Cornet seems perhaps destined. I know, it's just wishful thinking. But Barty could get tight. She did two years ago against Kenin in the semis. You just never know,

Post by meganfernandez »

Liamvalid wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:44 am Happy for Cornet, she’s played some entertaining matches over the years and is a quirky personality. It emphasises recent posts about mentality versus talent-she has shown the talent many times that she could possibly win a slam and be a top 20 mainstay, but she just doesn’t have the mentality to play that way consistently. It’s a great story for her to break her duck here at 32 years old.
Such a good story. I'd say most players don't have the mentality to play their best week in and week out, with all the factors. Those people are champions, and they are few and far between. Cornet isn't a champion but she has given a champion's performance so far in this tournament. I think she can get to the final, depending on Swiatek. I don't think she would beat Barty but who the heck knows. Maybe it would be Keys or Krejcikova.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

If Barty beat Keys, she takes the title. If Keys wins it, totally open for anybody. By now, I am rooting for Cornet.
ROOTING. I don't think she gets it.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:08 am That was one of the worst losses of Halep's career.

She fought well, but she could not hit a volley to save her life, and a butchered one at 30-0 in the game she was broken in the third set ultimately led to her doom.

The heat really got to her--she once had to default against Makarova in Washington when it was hotter than 100 degrees and she was staggering around the court-but I'm not sure why. I knew Cornet would come back strong in the third set because she always throws in horrid patches in her matches, but a top player needs to win that one. It reminded me of Halep's loss to Townsend at the U.S. Open a few years ago when Townsend played fantastic but Halep had plenty of chances to beat here in the third set, just like in this one,
I think Halep played her guts out again, like AO 2018. I thought the effort to win the second set, then the incredible shots she hit to fight off the first two match points, were a true champion's performance. For me, the effort defined the match more than the score or a few missed shots.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:39 pm If Barty beat Keys, she takes the title. If Keys wins it, totally open for anybody. By now, I am rooting for Cornet.
ROOTING. I don't think she gets it.
I thought Barty played Keys in the quarter, but no, it's Pegula. I think Krejcikova beats Keys. Maybe Barty has another stumble in the quarters like she did last year vs Muchova. Suspenseful!
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

I saw a little of Cressy-Medvedev. People were saying that because of the new string and racket technology serve and volley tennis is not a viable option anymore. I think Max has proven that wrong. Here is the deal. He's a very good vollyer, but he's not an excellent vollyer like Edberg, or McEnroe, or Navratilova, or even Federer. And as a very good vollyer, he has played Rafa and Medvedev close. I think his success might open up the door in people's minds that S and V could work.

This AO has been a good one so far, IMHO. :)

Kevin
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

It's not just Barty. Keys and Krejcikova are also favorites over anyone in the bottom half.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:13 pm It's not just Barty. Keys and Krejcikova are also favorites over anyone in the bottom half.
I think I'd take Cornet and Swiatek over Keys. Unless Cornet doesn't serve well.

Post by meganfernandez »

dmforever wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:09 pm I saw a little of Cressy-Medvedev. People were saying that because of the new string and racket technology serve and volley tennis is not a viable option anymore. I think Max has proven that wrong. Here is the deal. He's a very good vollyer, but he's not an excellent vollyer like Edberg, or McEnroe, or Navratilova, or even Federer. And as a very good vollyer, he has played Rafa and Medvedev close. I think his success might open up the door in people's minds that S and V could work.

This AO has been a good one so far, IMHO. :)

Kevin
Yeah, the returns are so fast. But Mischa Zverev said the upside is that a lot of players don't know how to play a S&Ver because they never come up against it, and he has seen advantages for that reason. So it just depends on if the opponent can adjust.

I hope more people try to S&V! At least have it as an option. It puts so much pressure on the return.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Cirstea let that match get away, she was the better player thru a good portion of that match, looked very much like the special player she was once projected to be. But as she typically does, she got too frustrated and it really derailed her chances and Iga stayed steady despite her own frustrations and was the much better player and competitor in the 3rd set.

But I've been less than impressed with Iga off of clay in the last year (she was amazing at that post-Aussie Open tournament on hard courts). There are matches like this that she probably should lose, but gets by them that make her results look somewhat decent, but overall, you don't get that same feeling that you do about her play that you do when you watch her on clay. I'm not sure about this coaching change, like what it's brought, not sure what's changed about her game or her approach.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Medvedev's behavior on court during his match against Cressy was objectionable. Bush league and not a good look from the top seed. ATP has a real likability problem at the top of the sport. And he's seemingly always "not happy" with his behavior post-match, but then goes and repeats the same thing in another match or two.

MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

JazzNU wrote:ATP has a real likability problem at the top of the sport.
Yep.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I was wrong. I thought Keys played Barty. I say Keys/Krejcikova is a good 50/50 match.
The explanation of why S&V tennis died is simple. For Borg or Connors to pass McEnroe at the net, they needed a full swing. The racquet would not give you enough power by itself.
With the new technology, you get Novax, and Nadal, and basically everybody able to "bunt" the ball with enough power to pass you. By now, I agree with those that say that people have forgotten how to S&V; it is not "serve and sprint to the net and get the volley". There is a rhythm to it, and you really need a serve that propels your forward.
Too many details stopped it being effective. But during the 80's, when everybody said that the servers were gettting too powerful (Becker was the prototype) everybody got it wrong. Agassi showed that a few years later, creaming returns with a very short swing. If he swung at all.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem