'22 AO Day 10 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '22 AO Day 10 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:21 am Oh my god, Nick lost his sh*t when he lost serve in the 2nd and someone from the crowd was rowdy as he was preparing to serve. He yelled at that person to be quiet during the serve and jawed at the umpire too. Broke his racket after losing the game. He was already pissed because he thought the netcord sensor was making phantom calls. So this crowd that he riles up and feeds off of bites him in the ass. So poetic.

If he were a professional player, he would have kept it together and done his job of holding serve for a set and 5-2 lead.
That match is Day 11, by the way... not Day 10.
Oh okay thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I also predict Collins will beat Swiatek.. Collins has greatly improved her serve, depth and variety, not to mention consistency.. Swiatek was not too impressive against Kanepi, either..
in the other semi, it is very intriguing, but I expect Barty to beat Keys with some exquisite net play that drives Keys from side to side and up and down..
though I love them both..!
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:22 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:41 pm
jazzyg wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:25 pm FAA was really impressive the entire tournament. I did not see any of this match, but it does not surprise me he came really close to winning it.

His ball-striking has been exquisite. He still has rough patches, bit his progress since this time a year ago is immense.
Completely agree
I agree, and I'm glad to hear this. The Tennis Podcast - which I usually agree with - was so hard on Shapo after this match, for complaining about Rafa's slow play to immature shot selection to his press conference. They called him a brat and said the first two sets were a rout and the worst of Shapo. I was stunned - I had a completely different take. I thought he competed and played so well. Didn't have a meltdown. 3 and 4 is not a rout. He missed a big opportunity and should have won it, but my god, it's a fifth set against Rafa, and it's not like Shapo wasn't feeling some physical effects by then, too. I watched his press conference and didn't think he was being a baby about the preferential treatment issue. He evidently believes it, stands by it and was happy to talk about it when asked. I think he had a point about the staredown with the umpire early in the first set. Shapo had already complained about Rafa's time thing, then when he (Shapo) was in position to return serve, he noticed the umpire looking at him, not Rafa. So he asked the umpire, why are you looking at me and not watching Rafa? Shapo thought the umpire was just staring him down when he should have been keeping an eye on Rafa between his serve points. Shapo's right - the umpire has to watch the server.

Anyway. Nice to see I'm not alone in Shapo's defense. I hope this is a step toward playing his best more consistently.
100% agree!!!
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Nice touch on DMs part to mention Djokovic. He knew that he will rattle some feathers and did it anyway.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

4 Aussie men in the men's doubles final and 2 Aussies in the mixed final. :)

Kevin

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:53 pm And, we have a winner!
A Bet-at-Home.com winner!

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:10 pm I disagree with the assessment that Collins will beat Swiatek, although I admit I did not watch a point of her match against Cornet because I would have gotten physically ill seeing Cornet instead of Halep in that matchup.

I did watch almost all of Swiatek-Kanepi, and even though Kanepi was a tiebreak away from winning in straights and the play was scratchy, I liked what I saw from Swiatek. Once she got her teeth in the match, I never thought she had a chance to lose. She's simply more talented than Collins, which does not guarantee a win, but combined with her intense desire to win, I expect it to put her over the top.
Welp, what do we know? :) Didn't think Collins would do it but she's in beast mode.