'22 AO Day 11 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
JazzNU United States of America

Re: '22 AO Day 11 OoP & Discussion

Post by JazzNU »

A shame Madison couldn't must anything against Ash. I thought she'd at least serve better given how well she's been doing it the last two tournaments, that's why I gave her a chance, but she really couldn't do anything. I initially thought Ash would win the tournament when I thought Novax was playing, thought that distraction would be perfect for her to make a run under the radar. I thought she'd get bounced in an earlier round than this once it became clear her ending the drought would be the focus of the Aussie Open. She's impressing me with how steady she's been given how she's (I assume) gotten nervous the closer she's gotten to the title in years past. I assume all she had to deal with last season was able

Collins vs. Swiatek went exactly how I expected it to go. Unless she's been injured, I have never seen Danielle let an opponent off the hook, she needs to be hit or sliced off the court to beat her, she's not going to give it to you in any way on her own and is gonna give as good as she's getting if she can. I didn't see a way that Iga would get lucky on that front 3 rounds in a row with Danielle across the net, and Iga's form this tournament wasn't suggestive to me that she'd be able to muster what was necessary to hit Danielle off the court.

I like Iga a lot, not sure how she could look like she did at that post-Aussie Open tournament last year like she was going to be a beast on hard courts, to what she is now. But I hope she can recapture that hard court form soon. Yes, I know she's gotten to the semis, but having watched her last 4 matches, only the one against Dasha was truly impressive. I'd say she has a lot of work to do before she's able to win a big hard court title soon. I'd love to be wrong about that though.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I didn't watch either match. I did think that Swiatek, who barely beat Kaia Kanepi who was self destructing in front of our eyes, had a chance of losing to Collins who is just out there taking names.

I never thought Keys would beat Barty. She was coming in nervous and once you make her have to move when she doesn't want to you've beaten her. Madison did have a nice run though and with the help of some favorable draws at IW and Miami might go deep again.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

So I decided to watch the replays on TC. They showed only the second set of the first semi and only the first set of the second semi. :( :( :(

From the one set of each match that I saw, Ash and Danielle both looked super sharp. I'm looking forward to the final.

Kevin
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Well for anyone that didn't watch Collins vs. Swiatek, to me at least, the 6-4 6-1 win is a bit deceiving. I think that line makes it seem like that first set was quite competitive. It was definitely more competitive than the second for sure, but Collins was up 4-0 in the first set, the same way she was in the second set, but she stumbled with her serve in particular (possibly a touch of nerves), throwing in some very untimely double faults in the back half of the first set, and it helped Iga get back in that set somewhat. She got the score to 2-4 and 3-5, but never back on serve. For me, it never felt to me like Danielle was truly in danger of dropping that first set.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

texasniteowl wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:10 am well, that wasn't worth the sleep I just lost. swiatek and collins will be better, right?
Was barely worth recording it and having on in background while I worked, let alone losing sleep over! :)
:steven:
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:20 pm NCAA player into the AO final for the 2nd year in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep..last year I was happy, I am a Bruin too..
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:42 pm Barty has the best backhand slice in women's game since I don't even know who.
Pam Shriver!
:lol:
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Deuce wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:50 am
Suliso wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:42 pm Barty has the best backhand slice in women's game since I don't even know who.
Pam Shriver!
:lol:
And slice is very effective on hard courts...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Graf had a nice slice...