With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Woody

Post by Woody »

dmforever wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:15 pm
If they don't suspend him and he does actually physically harm someone, I wonder if the linespeople and/or chair umpire would have a case against the ATP on grounds of unsafe working conditions. Maybe they already have that case now, though I guess it would depend on Mexican law, in this case.

Kevin
That's an interesting question. I would guess that the linespeople have a collective contract that states their employment rights are based on U.S. law or something.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

skatingfan wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:50 pm Any suspension of Zverev would have to include either Indian Wells, or Miami, so it's absolutely not going to happen.
Is he a draw at all? Does anyone outside of us hard core or soft core tennis fans even know who he is, outside of maybe Germany? Maybe I'm just not very clued in.

Kevin
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

dmforever wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:43 pm Is he a draw at all? Does anyone outside of us hard core or soft core tennis fans even know who he is, outside of maybe Germany? Maybe I'm just not very clued in.

Kevin
No, but those tournaments are too important for Zverev's season for him to miss them.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

He is also one of the "stars" of the ATP. He's used extensively in their advertising. There was a picture of Rafa doing a presser in Acapulco in front of a photo montage of him, Stefanos, Medvedev and I believe Matteo. I don't know if I can find it now.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

skatingfan wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:47 pm
dmforever wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:43 pm Is he a draw at all? Does anyone outside of us hard core or soft core tennis fans even know who he is, outside of maybe Germany? Maybe I'm just not very clued in.

Kevin
No, but those tournaments are too important for Zverev's season for him to miss them.
Are you saying that Zverev will have some influence in how much or little they decide to punish him? Why would they (the ATP, the tournament organizers) care? I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm just trying to understand what you mean. :)

Kevin

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is the start of it. Profanity is involved.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is one man's opinion.

JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

You guys are hilarious, yes he's a draw. And his high appearance fee being met regularly says as much to the tournaments as well.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:40 am This is one man's opinion.

For those who know of "Johnny Groove" this is him.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

dmforever wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:21 am Are you saying that Zverev will have some influence in how much or little they decide to punish him? Why would they (the ATP, the tournament organizers) care? I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm just trying to understand what you mean. :)

Kevin
The ATP would rather the matter, like everything else that presents negative headlines, just went away. Zverev will get some sort of fine, and a warning, or maybe a probationary period like Kyrgios did. The ATP, and tournament organizers don't care about the players, but they also don't want the headlines as to why Zverev is not playing.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:12 pm Just FYI, the pilling down of video is not because of what happened, but who is posting it and how. I posted video of it in the other thread even though someone already posted a YT video of it for this very reason. The ATP is FANATICAL about who is allowed to post videos of their content. They have gotten to a place where they do allow people to post gifs of a lot of stuff after going scorched earth on some prolific Twitter users a few years ago that used to do it regularly, but they do not do that with video content.

It's just not how they operate. And why I posted the video from an account that is one of their partners, not a random user. If that video comes down, then you know ATP is trying to cover it up completely.
This is true but there's been a running battle between fans and the ATP/WTA about fan videos. That said in this case there is a fandom that will always take the position that players other than the one they stan are being coddled and protected. Personally I think they're close to the edge but why take this particular fan video down especially when many fans have no access to or were unaware of the sites that are able to post it without repercussions. I didn't even know that there was a feed for Amazon videos until today.

That the video was pulled when it was pulled only feeds the stans. At the time the video was pulled there was no other access (to my knowledge) of a legit site where the video could be seen.

That said I think he should be suspended for at least 6 months. Will it happen? Nope.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

He's very good at confirming the reasons I'm not a fan of his.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:51 am
JazzNU wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:12 pm Just FYI, the pilling down of video is not because of what happened, but who is posting it and how. I posted video of it in the other thread even though someone already posted a YT video of it for this very reason. The ATP is FANATICAL about who is allowed to post videos of their content. They have gotten to a place where they do allow people to post gifs of a lot of stuff after going scorched earth on some prolific Twitter users a few years ago that used to do it regularly, but they do not do that with video content.

It's just not how they operate. And why I posted the video from an account that is one of their partners, not a random user. If that video comes down, then you know ATP is trying to cover it up completely.
This is true but there's been a running battle between fans and the ATP/WTA about fan videos. That said in this case there is a fandom that will always take the position that players other than the one they stan are being coddled and protected. Personally I think they're close to the edge but why take this particular fan video down especially when many fans have no access to or were unaware of the sites that are able to post it without repercussions. I didn't even know that there was a feed for Amazon videos until today.

That the video was pulled when it was pulled only feeds the stans. At the time the video was pulled there was no other access (to my knowledge) of a legit site where the video could be seen.

That said I think he should be suspended for at least 6 months. Will it happen? Nope.

Why go nuclear on small-time but prolific tennis social media accounts that are helping to promote and grow your sport to the point of sending out demand letters and trying to get their accounts banned from various sites? I can't begin to tell you why the ATP has the strategy they do where gif and video content is concerned. It's always been bizarre and it still is. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I can't name another significant sports body who has taken such aggressive steps. It's one of the most counterproductive things I've seen.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Liamvalid wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:22 pm Anyone remember if Pliskova was punished for attacking the umpires chair?
I don't think she was.
Although she took a chunk out of the chair (out of an advertizing sign on the chair, I think), it was not comparable to this Zverev incident. Pliskova's action was not threatening in nature - as I recall, it was more like her simply hitting the thing that was closest to her. She was upset with the umpire - but I think it's pretty obvious that the Zverev incident was much more dangerous and much more of a direct threat to the umpire.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower