Russian Invasion of Ukraine

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The good thing about all these moves (ok, one of the good things) is that Russia now CANNOT stop the flow of gas to Europe, as it is basically now their only source of income.
Again, I am truly surprised by the world's response.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:40 am The good thing about all these moves (ok, one of the good things) is that Russia now CANNOT stop the flow of gas to Europe, as it is basically now their only source of income.
My fear is that this ****er is going to turn this into, "See what that NATO did to us?" The "good" news is that those most quickly affected by these financial manipulations are already not listening to him.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:40 am The good thing about all these moves (ok, one of the good things) is that Russia now CANNOT stop the flow of gas to Europe, as it is basically now their only source of income.
I'm a bit surprised too, but in retrospect there are two aspects were Putin miscalculated:

- he probably believed himself that at least Eastern Ukraine will great his soldiers as liberators and it will be more like Crimea in 2014
- he thought he could challenge the most fundamental aspects of Western led world order and they would respond tepidly with some small sanctions.

Seems like particularly on the second point the answer is loud and clear.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

mmmm8 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:09 am My fear is that this ****er is going to turn this into, "See what that NATO did to us?" The "good" news is that those most quickly affected by these financial manipulations are already not listening to him.
I think it's very likely he'll do exactly that only how much will it help?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

olexander scherba🇺🇦@olex_scherbaFollow26 years in 🇺🇦 diplomatic service. Ukraine’s Ambassador to Austria (2014-2021). Author of “Undiplomatic Thoughts” (2021). Currently NAK Naftogaz.

The second poster has been verified as legit as well.

I'm posting Twitter bios because there is so much excrement floating around it pays to be extra careful.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

Zelensky wrote on Twitter: “what is the point of saying ‘never again’ for 80 years, if the world stays silent when a bomb drops on the same site of Babyn Yar? At least 5 killed. History repeating . . .”

Of course. But, coupled with the request he made yesterday for a no-fly zone... He does realize that in 1942 the threat of nuclear armageddon didn't yet exist?
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

MJ2004 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:49 pm Zelensky wrote on Twitter: “what is the point of saying ‘never again’ for 80 years, if the world stays silent when a bomb drops on the same site of Babyn Yar? At least 5 killed. History repeating . . .”

Of course. But, coupled with the request he made yesterday for a no-fly zone... He does realize that in 1942 the threat of nuclear armageddon didn't yet exist?
I'm really not sure that connection has been made.

I know we are days into this, but I have yet to figure out how many, including Zelensky, are aware that a no-fly zone is created when it is defended. The manner in which people, including elected officials in multiple countries, keep asking for it, they seem to think it's just a matter of declaring it. But any no-fly zone needs to be enforced, cross into it, and get shot done. World War III commences.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

MJ2004 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:49 pm Zelensky wrote on Twitter: “what is the point of saying ‘never again’ for 80 years, if the world stays silent when a bomb drops on the same site of Babyn Yar? At least 5 killed. History repeating . . .”

I'm not following. The Never Again reference is to the Holocaust. It's a Holocaust memorial park next to the TV tower that was bombed with 5 pedestrians killed. Babiy Yar was a site where the Nazis shot 33 thousand Jews in 2 days (and some hundreds of Christians, Romani, etc.).
MJ2004

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post by MJ2004 »

I may have misinterpreted. I took the context as criticizing the west for not actively intervening. The world has not stayed silent. What other steps can be taken to intervene without actively engaging militarily?
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

MJ2004 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:06 pm I may have misinterpreted. I took the context as criticizing the west for not actively intervening. The world has not stayed silent. What other steps can be taken to intervene without actively engaging militarily?
Ah... well, I don't think it's irrational or unwarranted for him to ask for military support.

(I don't know whether it should be given, but I think it's reasonable to request it).

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »