With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Suliso Latvia

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by Suliso »

It's not just players. NBA coaches also sometimes rest players in less important games. The real criteria is play off games. If someone has to retire from one of those or can't start then I believe he's indeed seriously injured.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:15 pm
Why do they both look like they are in their 60s in this photo?
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:48 pm
ti-amie wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:15 pm
Why do they both look like they are in their 60s in this photo?
Bianca especially! Lighting is everything.
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Big Tsonga fan here, of the players Ponchi mentioned, Tsonga is the one I would have preferred to win a slam. I love watching him and he has a great presence on court. I’m going to the French this year so I’m hoping he gets a kind draw and I can get to watch his last performance
Mary, queen of shots
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Boris Becker guilty of four charges under Insolvency Act

GETTY IMAGES

Ex-tennis star Boris Becker has been found guilty of four charges under the Insolvency Act relating to his 2017 bankruptcy.

The former world number one was accused of hiding millions of pounds worth of assets to avoid paying his debts.

He was declared bankrupt in June 2017 over an unpaid loan of more than £3m on his estate in Mallorca, Spain.

Becker, 54, was acquitted of a further 20 charges at London's Southwark Crown Court on Friday.

He was cleared of nine counts of failing to hand over trophies and medals from his tennis career, including two Wimbledon men's singles trophies.

The six-time Grand Slam champion told reporters outside court he would not be commenting on the verdict.

He was found guilty of transferring hundreds of thousands of pounds from his business account after his bankruptcy, failing to declare a property in Germany, and concealing €825,000 of debt.

He could face a jail sentence carrying a maximum term of seven years for each count.

Becker told the jury his career earnings of $50m (about £38 million) were spent on an expensive divorce from his first wife in 2001, child maintenance payments, and "expensive lifestyle commitments", including his £22,000-a-month rented house in Wimbledon, south-west London.

The former tennis star told the court he was "shocked" and "embarrassed" when he was declared bankrupt, and he had co-operated with those tasked with securing his assets, including offering up his wedding ring.

Becker, a German national who has lived in the UK since 2012, was cleared of failing to declare a second German property, as well as his interest in the £2.5m Chelsea flat occupied by his daughter.

During the trial, he said he earned a "vast amount" in his career, paying in cash for several properties, but his income "reduced dramatically" following his retirement in 1999.

His barrister, Jonathan Laidlaw QC, said at the time of Becker's bankruptcy he was too "trusting and reliant" on his advisers.

At the start of the trial, Judge Deborah Taylor instructed the jury of 11 men and one woman to ignore Becker's celebrity.

"You must treat him in exactly the same way you would treat someone you have not heard of and is not in the public eye," she said.

Dean Beale, the chief executive of the Insolvency Service, said: "This conviction serves as a clear warning to those who think they can hide their assets and get away with it. You will be found out and prosecuted."

Becker has been bailed ahead of a sentencing hearing on 29 April.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61043018
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by meganfernandez »

They didn't have a dramatic photo of Korda, the winner?
ti-amie wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:24 pm
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

He was the one stretching his opponent?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:He was the one stretching his opponent?
Welllllll. Okay. :) photog probably took 90% of his snaps on Alcaraz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I was able to read this article on my iPad but can't on my laptop for some reason. There is a paywall.

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:54 pm I was able to read this article on my iPad but can't on my laptop for some reason. There is a paywall.

I was able to read it (on my computer).
And I'm glad I did. Thanks for posting it.
I can't say that I'm very surprised by the revelations.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

It does explain a lot doesn't it? Finally some reporting by someone who covers tennis.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:52 am It does explain a lot doesn't it? Finally some reporting by someone who covers tennis.
That they're "looking outside of tennis as well as inside" for Friemel's replacement perhaps indicates that there are few upstanding, honest people in tennis who could be trusted to hold that position.
If they choose someone outside of tennis, that could very well bring all sorts of different problems, of course.

I know a few local linespeople and chair umpires - I'll talk with them about this article.

I do know of one high up male tennis official who ended up recently marrying a much younger woman who also recently got her gold badge. He was in a position to help her climb the ladder. I'm not saying that he did - I don't know... but he has the influence to have done so, and I would think that this situation was questioned - though likely only privately - as it was occurring.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower